Calling all Hunters/Gatherers

Options

Replies

• nojuicejustjin
    nojuicejustjin Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    HeyaBerg wrote: »
    I don't hunt but I own 3 labradors who're fully trained hunting assistance dogs.. Love the work involving in the training... But I could never pull a tricker to kill anything, hell I can't even kill a fish.. So I just enjoy eating game my friends bring me for lending them my dogs.. And yes I know how this sounds lol

That's pretty sweet! I've been thinking of getting a pointer for hunting.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    Options
    What are you gathering while hunting?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • ThePoeToaster
    ThePoeToaster Posts: 1,681 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I don't hunt. I eat very little animal protein, and when I do, it's usually wild caught fish. Most of the folks in this thread seem ethical. The dude who said, "nothing like pulling a heart out of an animal while it's still warm" is a numbnuts, but other than that. hunters fill a vital need that natural predators no longer fill.

Trophy hunters on the other hand...especially those dicks that go to "big game" preserves for rich, white men, are a bunch of cowards. Every. Single. One. Of. Them. No. Exceptions.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    subakwa wrote: »
    Tomk652015 wrote: »
    subakwa wrote: »
    If you are top of the food chain, take a wander around a pride of lions.

We aren't top of the food chain. Just cowards with better tools.

so you don't eat meat there Einstein? our intellectual dominance puts us on top my friend. open your brain. think...just a little. then just leave cuz clearly you aren't a hunter.

Nope, actually, I don't eat meat, but that is irrelevant to the point. We are not top of the food chain by any measure and that shouldn't be used as some "God-given" license to hunt. We are omnivores with poor dental capacity or digestive capacity for raw meat. We have managed to evolve eating a little of it and cooking it to begin the breakdown for us. We are food for many predators, putting us down that pecking order.

Our brain-power allows us to punch higher than our ranking, but it doesn't change the fact that we are food. The true heads of the food chain have nothing that regards them as natural prey.

Science, not wishful thinking.

We are on top of food chain because of our brains. That's what has allowed us to dominate the world and for vegans to feel guilty about that. How? Because we learned to cook meat and that opened up a whole new world and allowed our brains to become larger and more complex.

Enjoy the hunting! It's much more fun knowing someone somewhere is angry about it.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    What is this about?

• Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    Raising the boys right :)

• Gimsteinn
    Gimsteinn Posts: 7,678 Member
    Options
    I don't hunt but I own 3 labradors who're fully trained hunting assistance dogs.. Love the work involving in the training... But I could never pull a tricker to kill anything, hell I can't even kill a fish.. So I just enjoy eating game my friends bring me for lending them my dogs.. And yes I know how this sounds lol

That's pretty sweet! I've been thinking of getting a pointer for hunting.

You totally should. It's so fun to work with the animals and I hear that the dogs make the hunt easier and more fun ;)
  • Gimsteinn
    Gimsteinn Posts: 7,678 Member
    Options
    Timshel_ wrote: »
    What is this about?

What type of a bird is that? I've never seen one
  • Tweaking_Time
    Tweaking_Time Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    What is this about?

bobwhite quail
  • camoballerina91
    camoballerina91 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    What is this about?

Looks like a quail...never hunted one, but I know they're tasty.
  • nojuicejustjin
    Options
    What is this about?

It's a Gambels Quail
  • nojuicejustjin
    Options

You totally should. It's so fun to work with the animals and I hear that the dogs make the hunt easier and more fun ;)

I've been told the same from a couple buddies that trained theirs. It would make it easier with turkeys lol
  • nojuicejustjin
    Options
    Raising the boys right :)

No other way!
  • nojuicejustjin
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I don't hunt. I eat very little animal protein, and when I do, it's usually wild caught fish. Most of the folks in this thread seem ethical. The dude who said, "nothing like pulling a heart out of an animal while it's still warm" is a numbnuts, but other than that. hunters fill a vital need that natural predators no longer fill.

Trophy hunters on the other hand...especially those dicks that go to "big game" preserves for rich, white men, are a bunch of cowards. Every. Single. One. Of. Them. No. Exceptions.

Trophy hunters are a disgrace to real hunters.

As I said before, it's a Native American and overall hunting tradition to remove the heart of your first kill (or the liver) and take a bite. It shows that you have respect for that animals life and are thankful for its sacrifice by essentially becoming a part of it. It sounds gross to many but true hunters understand this tradition. A true hunter utilizes EVERY bit of an animal possible so as not to waste any. A true Hunter doesn't make an animal suffer if it's within their means. We respect wildlife and love it. We partake in hunting seasons to help the over population and invasive capabilities a certain species may have.

As Matt said earlier, if you kill an animal and not feel a tad sad... Something is off. I hate boar and pythons. I love them when they're not overtaking areas they're not meant to be in. I dont enjoy their death but it is relieving when I know I'm helping eliminate the dangerous invasive species they are as well as protecting crops that farmers work so hard on and live off of. Also it helps protect the native fauna&flora.
  • ThePoeToaster
    ThePoeToaster Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options

As I said before, it's a Native American and overall hunting tradition to remove the heart of your first kill (or the liver) and take a bite. It shows that you have respect for that animals life and are thankful for its sacrifice by essentially becoming a part of it. It sounds gross to many but true hunters understand this tradition. A true hunter utilizes EVERY bit of an animal possible so as not to waste any. A true Hunter doesn't make an animal suffer if it's within their means. We respect wildlife and love it. We partake in hunting seasons to help the over population and invasive capabilities a certain species may have.

As Matt said earlier, if you kill an animal and not feel a tad sad... Something is off. I hate boar and pythons. I love them when they're not overtaking areas they're not meant to be in. I dont enjoy their death but it is relieving when I know I'm helping eliminate the dangerous invasive species they are as well as protecting crops that farmers work so hard on and live off of. Also it helps protect the native fauna&flora.

You, my friend, are doing it right. And thanks for taking me to school on the eating the heart thing. Freaky, but then so is oatmeal when you think about it.
  • T0M_K
    T0M_K Posts: 7,526 Member
    Options

I would love that! i've had labs for 20 years. never got them into hunting though. but to watch one work is awesome.
  • T0M_K
    T0M_K Posts: 7,526 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

I don't really have a problem with Trophy Hunters as long as the meat goes to a good use. Typically a trophy type animal of any kind is old and wiser and more challenging to kill. Many times almost putting the hunter and prey on a more even playing field.

However, that said, the trophy hunt SIMPLY HAS TO BE FAIR CHASE. not enclosed high fence hunting. thats not hunting, thats killing and thats party why ethical hunters get a bad wrap. Like anything else, there are extremest out there on both fronts and really NEVER represent the majority and just make a bunch of noise to throw off the real way 99% of things are.
  • finny11122
    finny11122 Posts: 8,436 Member
    Options
    I'm going to go gathering black berries today .
  • Tweaking_Time
    Tweaking_Time Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    off subject...but this is my fave trail cam pic in recent years. Turkey coming in for a landing...

pkzzkyql26l2.jpg