slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,452 Member
    Options
    It's not an expression, but I adore the way Australians say deeckhead

:D ..
  • Thisnameischosen_
    Thisnameischosen_ Posts: 619 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Here's some my work colleague said the other day.. I don't know if they are only from where I live but I've never heard them before..

"Might as well paint him gold and call him Oscar" for those drama Queens/story tellers (aka liers)
    "If you were a dog you would have been put down" to someone who was complaining of their many ailments.

This one is from where I live.
    "He would fall in the Tyne and come out with a tin of salmon" for those people who get into trouble/cause trouble but always seem get away with it or are better off for it. (aka "lands in the shitt and comes out smelling like roses")

The Tyne is a river near where I live.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Haahaa when my dad's not well, he says "I feel like I've been shot at and missed, and shat at and hit"
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    cee134 wrote: »
    finny11122 wrote: »
    tumblr_mtzsut0tAO1sjwg5lo1_500.gif

You will be given a cup of tea , a sandwich , and a biscuit in an irish household . There is no refusing haha

When americans hear the word biscuit:

lq6txen9ld4t.jpg

God. That's a scone!

Actually scones are different. That is a buttermilk biscuit.
  • saragd012
    saragd012 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    tumblr_mtzsut0tAO1sjwg5lo1_500.gif

You will be given a cup of tea , a sandwich , and a biscuit in an irish household . There is no refusing haha

When americans hear the word biscuit:

lq6txen9ld4t.jpg

God. That's a scone!

This is what Americans think of when they hear scone:
    cwwvkwp7kh53.jpg
  • pudgy1977
    pudgy1977 Posts: 13,499 Member
    Options
    zlgmurubcw94.jpg
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm from Jersey and we have our own funny expressions. Like, notice how I dropped the "New" from "New Jersey"? Because if you're from Jersey there's no need to use the "New"...it's just Jersey.

Also, when we go to the beach we say "I'm going down the shore".

Jersey Italians refer to tomato sauce as "gravy"

In North Jersey, the night before Halloween is referred to as "cabbage night"

“Gimme a slice and a coke.” translates to "may I please have a piece of pizza and a soda"

ohh...and I can tell you about the ultimate diner food: DISCO FRIES (french fries smothered in mozzarella cheese and brown gravy)

"The City" - usually means New York City. Philly (Philadelphia) if you live down in South Jersey.

"What exit?" means "what part of New Jersey are you from?" When asked that question I answer "Exit 165 off the Parkway"
  • cee134
    Options
    Well, I'm from Jersey and we have our own funny expressions. Like, notice how I dropped the "New" from "New Jersey"? Because if you're from Jersey there's no need to use the "New"...it's just Jersey.

Wouldn't people constantly confuse New Jersey with Jersey than? Because when I think of Jersey I think:
    The largest of the Channel Islands, between England and France. A self-governing dependency of the United Kingdom, with a mix of British and French cultures, it’s known for its beaches, cliffside walking trails, inland valleys and historic castles.

:)
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    Options

Wouldn't people constantly confuse New Jersey with Jersey than? Because when I think of Jersey I think:
    The largest of the Channel Islands, between England and France. A self-governing dependency of the United Kingdom, with a mix of British and French cultures, it’s known for its beaches, cliffside walking trails, inland valleys and historic castles.

Definitely not. I don't think anyone in my Jersey even knows another Jersey exists in another country.

My Jersey is known for it's beaches, boardwalks, mafia and guidos lololol
  • Timothyh27
    Timothyh27 Posts: 251 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    melmelw03 wrote: »
    I think it's adorable when someone says "mum" (mom).

*edited because British word for butt is banned just like the American word. I love hearing foreign curse words.

The English language has twice as many words as the next language, Chinese. As a result of 2000 years of lingual evolution we have developed a plethora of imaginative swear words and insults. :smiley:

My personal favourites being

Fuckwit
    Halfwit
    Nobhead

ha :smile:

• finny11122
    finny11122 Posts: 8,436 Member
    Options

Definitely not. I don't think anyone in my Jersey even knows another Jersey exists in another country.

I agree i bet most Amercians don't realise alot of place names are from European colonist orgin . New England , etc etc
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    Options

Guidos are quite the breed. I find them highly entertaining.

96wnxct3ak96.jpeg

Jersey guidos are probably the reason why I'm still single. I mean - look at them!!!

And just for the record, I've worked very hard to get rid of my "Jersey accent" - to the point where no one can identify where I'm from :wink:
  • Titanuim
    Titanuim Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Timothyh27 wrote: »
    melmelw03 wrote: »
    I think it's adorable when someone says "mum" (mom).

*edited because British word for butt is banned just like the American word. I love hearing foreign curse words.

British swearing and insults are the best,

Fuckwit
    Halfwit
    Nobhead

Comedy gold purely because I didn't have to read "kitten" instead of a proper expletive.

And regarding the picture posted by pudgy - that is not a biscuit, it is a scone. Biscuit means twice baked.

I am a big fan of flat out like a lizard drinking.
  • cee134
    Options
    Louise1491 wrote: »
    Facts.

baqvrjn36l3i.jpg

You got me for a second.
  • _dixiana_
    _dixiana_ Posts: 3,262 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Here are a few southern sayings I hear and sometimes say.

Whoo! I'm sweating like a sinner in church - You're nervous or it's just really hot and you're sweating a lot.

I grew up hearing "Bless your heart" always used as an insult, but I know it can be used to say I'm sorry and what not.

Hey! How's you're mom and them? - How are you and you're family

What in tarnation? - What is going on, my grandfather used to say this a lot.

Hold your horses! - Be patient/wait

Diddly Squat - Nothing (Example: 'What's on the t.v. tonight?' - 'Not diddly squat')

Stop being ugly - Stop misbehaving

You're barking up the wrong tree - You're mistaken/I don't know what you're talking about

Having a pissing contest - Having an argument

And my personally favorite: Kiss my grits - Kiss my *kitten*

In my house you got a whooping (spanking) if you didn't say 'ma'am' or 'sir', it's really a respect your elders and others kind of thing or if you're talking to someone you don't know.

Yes! I'm from the South and I've heard/said all of these too.
    A few more:
    It's colder than a well diggers butt in Idaho. - It's really COLD.
    I'm fixin' to - I'm about to.
    Over yonder - Over there.
    Down the road a piece. - Down the road (but to this day still don't know how long a piece is).
    Hush your mouth. - Shut up

ETA:
    Havin' a come apart - Having a break down.
    It came a gulley washer - Was raining hard

• MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,395 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I'm originally from Colorado, but moved to Oklahoma about 9 years ago with hubs. Some expressions here I've gotten used to (that I've never heard in Colorado) are:

Pull it to (close the door/thing all the way)
    I'm fixin to ("I will be doing (insert action)")
    Y'all (I think most people know this, just no one ever actually says it in Colorado (unless they're making
    a joke about rednecks)
    *kitten* (it's a bean bag game, widely known as *kitten* in Oklahoma but if anyone were to say "corn
    hole" in Colorado, it would take on a totally different meaning)
    I seen that, too (this is the widely accepted use of the word "seen" here, apparently)

bahahaha, even MFP doesn't accept the term *kitten*!!! (corn hole)

That's all I can think of for now.

• cee134
    edited August 2016
    Options

I agree i bet most Amercians don't realise alot of place names are from European colonist orgin . New England , etc etc

I bet there is no other place called Knob Lick (as in Knob Lick, Kentucky.)
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    Options
    And let's not forget the Guindians. These two sets make New Jersey New Jersey.

nsfxc4nbeyfe.jpeg

ahhhh like the Persian Mafia lololol
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    Options

oh come, now. We're not that stupid!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    In Northern Ireland we have loads of slang terms, the most used ones being;-

'Yer heads cut' - meaning someone is talking utter madness
    'you eejit' - being an idiot
    'dead on' - when something is fine/good
    'thats wile' - that's terrible/awful

yeah its a whole other language :smiley:

and then theres slang words:
    cannae (can't)
    dinnae (don't)
    hame (home)
    wouldnae (wouldn't)
    hae te (have to)