Long time maintainer, and sometimes I want to quit.

I've been on MFP for over four years now, haven't missed a day. I've been on maintenance for three years after successfully losing 90ish pounds. From the beginning, I've loved the control I have over what I eat. Counting calories made sense to me and it worked! My husband and I started MFP together and I love that it's something we share. We are active and walk, bike ride and now run together.

But lately it's been a struggle. For some reason the scale has been fighting us, even though we are more active than ever. And, I find myself obsessing over it to the point where I feel like it consumes me and I get cranky when anything "interferes" with my planned calories.

And, sometimes I just want to stop. I don't want to regain the weight, but part of me wants to go back to seeing food in all its pure deliciousness and not seeing numbers when I look at it. I love food and it's something I'm passionate about. We don't deprive ourselves of the things we enjoy, but I get tired of feeling like I have to feel guilty when we overindulge. And I get jealous of how the rest of the world just eats what they want, when they want without stressing over it.

I've thought of taking a break, but honestly I'm afraid. And, I'm quite proud of my 1,528 day streak. I feel like if we stopped logging, we may lose control and gain all we've lost. I'm also afraid I wouldn't be able to look at food without seeing numbers anyway because I'm so used to knowing the calorie count of everything. Can anyone relate to this? Has anyone successfully stopped logging? Am I doomed to log the rest of my life? I worry that one day I will look back with regret because I allowed myself to be so obsessed with logging that I missed out on enjoying life to the fullest.

Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Do you think you'd lapse back into the +90 lb habits of yore? Have you learned how to eat and be healthy? Have you tried for a few days just to see?
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Everything you said is how I feel and I've only been maintaining for 3 months! There are plenty of days I just want to say F it. I've lost a lot of the enjoyment of food and still can't quite get to the place where I consider it only fuel for the body. It helps that I bank my calories during the week and don't log/free eat on the weekends.
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    There are some really great suggestions here, thanks for starting this thread as I have already been down this road and gained all my weight back, and am on my way towards goal again, 80lbs to go. Kicking myself.

One suggestion that has resonated with me when I have mentioned feeling guilt about eating food not on my plan was to pre-log it and plan the rest of the day's intake accordingly. Looking forward to a planned, pre-logged guilt-free treat is good for me. I am able to savor the treat without having the pleasure ruined by guilt.

Focusing on the presentation of the meal has also been helpful. I like for my food to look nice. For some reason, it seems more satisfying that way.

If you do decide to quit logging, the weighing suggestions are great ones.
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    toe1226 wrote: »
    maybe take a week off? just a week? or even two...1528, it is something to be proud of, but it is also completely arbitrary, a number on a website that has nothing to do with your self-value, joy, humanity. MFP will be here when you get back, you don't have to "splurge" or go crazy but you can take a little time off, refresh your brain and come back (maybe even a few lbs heavier...a few won't be 90!) it'll be great.

Even just taking some meals off might help. I took a cruise earlier in the month and I made the decision to log (as best as I could guess) my breakfast and maybe my lunch but NOT my dinner or my beverages. That way, I didn't completely abandon the tracking habit or awareness of what I was taking in, but I was able to say things like "I'm going to enjoy dinner and not care about the calories" or "I'm going to drink at the bar, but I'm going to look at people and talk with them instead of burying my face in my smartphone".