If calories is a calorie-what's the issue with Sugar then? how to reduce intake? HELP!

Options
12346»

Replies

• upoffthemat
    upoffthemat Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    J72FIT wrote: »
    Budjola wrote: »
    good sugar would be the one that u got or took while eating veggies and fruit, bad one would be from sodas and stuff
    But the sugar is the same...

I think I've finally figured this out. Please excuse the rather passe or sexist analogies.

A good girl hangs out with nice, respectful, well-dressed boys who get good grades. A bad girl lurks around with the smokers who swear and drink and skip class. Both girls may be the same in terms of their own actual behavior, but they are judged by their companions.

Good sugars and bad sugars are the same, but one hangs out with fiber and lots of micros (or just looks all respectable, since those in a banana don't actually come with much fiber). The other (the bad one) hangs out with fat and calories.

It's all about judging by appearance and association!

Hmm. Or maybe it's an anti immigration thing: good sugars stay where they started out. Bad sugars go somewhere else.

This may be the best thing I have read on here in months
  • hamlet1222
    hamlet1222 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Only problem with sugar is its easy to go over your daily calorie requirement with it, especially from drinks. Complex carbs fill you up more and a harder to overconsume.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Raptor2763 wrote: »
    A calorie is NOT a calorie - THAT'S the issue.
    So a question: if I have 1 liter of water and 1 liter of soda, are you saying the liter of soda isn't a liter?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
    So much this. It annoys the crap out of me whenever I see 'a calorie is not a calorie'. It's basic *kitten* science.
  • jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    I think if they made people have to stop and think when crossing into the nutrition desert of the center aisles, that might make America great again, or at least make our waists not so great. They could even have passports. You'd get less pages to stamp and limit your visits for some people.

So, we should have to "stop and think" before we're allowed access to the dried beans, oats, frozen fruits and frozen vegetables? All of which are in the center aisles in my grocery store (and most others I've been to). But the cakes and ready-made meals (on the perimeter) are fine? I don't think so.

Or maybe you'd have to think about what grocery store you go to if they think that's a good way to organize food.

I go to the grocery store that has the best selection of fresh produce and the best prices. There's no inherent reason to put "healthier" foods around the edges of the store. I'd be very surprised if your grocery store has oats and legumes on the edges either. Edges tend to be bakery, produce, deli and fish. Plus whatever else fits - which tends to include convenience foods since they have those right at the front to stimulate impulse buying (and near to deli so as to take advantage of the cold shelves).

We have our route that takes us past all the important sections and skip the ones we're not interested in.

Well if you'd let me get in there and redo the grocery store, it'd be great. Real top-notch, designer quality food arrangement, let me tell ya. You'd love the lay out, I really think you would. We'd take back the impulse buys and make these diets great again.

If it's not wegmans i am not going. And they can only out so much on the outside.
    You can just make the outside bigger. This is why I'm a big picture guy, real top notch thinking. No one thinks outside the box or boxed food like I do.

breeze gives great trump