Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

The repackaging of the diet and fitness industry

ninerbuff
ninerbuff Posts: 48,488 Member
You hear it every year: "This diet/exercise plan is a BREAKTHROUGH after years of other failing plans!"

The truth is that practically every diet and exercise plan has already been featured at one time or another in the last 50 years or so. It's just repackaged in prettier advertising, infomercials and graphics. What ever "special" diet plan you're doing to lose weight isn't a new idea nor a breakthrough. It's usually a rehash of an idea or approach from previous attempts.
Low carb, high fat, no carb, high protein, low GI, super sets, HIIT, etc. have been around for DECADES in the diet and fitness industry. And of course only THEIR way is the way to do it correctly.

The human body hasn't really changed at all in thousands of years. Evolution doesn't quite work that fast. So every diet HAS to have one method to apply to make it work......................CICO. Whether gaining weight, losing weight, maintaining weight, if that equation is incorrect for whatever you're trying to achieve, then it's going to end up being fruitless effort.

Before spending money on some outrageously claimed weight loss program, look at it objectively and see if it's just another program you've tried before. Because usually in the end, it was.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
IDEA Fitness member
Kickboxing Certified Instructor
Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Replies

• ninerbuff
    Gravel grinding is new to me. And it's working out very well for me. I know people have been doing this in one form or another for more than 100 years but the combination of hydraulic discs, carbon frame, drop bars, and acceptably fat tires is worth all the hype. It's really wonderful not to have to turn around just because the pavement ended.

CX_Wheel_Main_Action_2-800x532.jpg
    That's a riding technique though. It can be more intense than riding on a flat surface, but weight loss, gain, maintenance is still dependent on CICO.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    It's not a riding technique, it's a lot of new equipment being available together. The bicycle segment of the fitness industry is moving away from skinny-tire racing bikes that can't handle unpaved surfaces, to wider, slightly less aerodynamic frames that are more versatile. At the same time, rim brakes are starting to lose their dominance and discs are rapidly becoming more common on road and "all road" bikes. Even hydraulic ones. This is facing some resistance - they're heavier, and people fear that the rotor can break off in a crash and cut somebody - but they work much better in wet or muddy conditions. Not having to use rims as a braking surface opens up new possibilities for aerodynamics and (rotational) weight savings. This combination of really light and strong composites with much more versatile frames and brakes is opening up a new type of "all road" cycling, and not just for races. :smile:
  • ninerbuff
    It's not a riding technique, it's a lot of new equipment being available together. The bicycle segment of the fitness industry is moving away from skinny-tire racing bikes that can't handle unpaved surfaces, to wider, slightly less aerodynamic frames that are more versatile. At the same time, rim brakes are starting to lose their dominance and discs are rapidly becoming more common on road and "all road" bikes. Even hydraulic ones. This is facing some resistance - they're heavier, and people fear that the rotor can break off in a crash and cut somebody - but they work much better in wet or muddy conditions. Not having to use rims as a braking surface opens up new possibilities for aerodynamics and (rotational) weight savings. This combination of really light and strong composites with much more versatile frames and brakes is opening up a new type of "all road" cycling, and not just for races. :smile:
    Sounds like fun. Sounds expensive too, but many people who enjoy an activity or sport will pay to make it more enjoyable.
    I don't believe that the fitness industry is moving away from road racing bikes though. They are an Olympic sport as well as many many weekly races in the world. Off road biking may gain more in popularity, but you'd have to have some upper body strength to do it, which many road biking participants normally don't (to keep their weight down).

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    Hopscotch from way back, played in the street looks remarkably like agility ladder drills people pay big bucks to do at training centers.xzlrjd36d7e6.jpg
    There's actually a ladder drill that uses "hopscotch" jumps. Ladders are mostly for speed and agility. You can also see if people are coordinated enough to do the drills (many people can't). But these drill aren't nothing new and as mentioned been around for decades.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    lol, I know. Women's magazines are the absolute worst for this. I just go with what my doctor tells me, log calories on here, and work out, and completely ignore the fads. When it gets a little cooler outside I can get back to hooping as part of my workout. Very strengthening for the middle and much more fun than just doing planks. Today, I think it's gonna be yoga.

I look at it like this; if any of those plans or gimmicks they advertise really worked as claimed, no one would be fat.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Gravel grinding is new to me. And it's working out very well for me. I know people have been doing this in one form or another for more than 100 years but the combination of hydraulic discs, carbon frame, drop bars, and acceptably fat tires is worth all the hype. It's really wonderful not to have to turn around just because the pavement ended.

A Calories Out method that you enjoy is essential in order to keep up your activity over the long term, IMHO. I like to play movies or youtubes out of my phone while I'm on the elliptical. That makes it fun rather than a total drag. At home I have even more freedom working out because I can just play things out of my computer and not have to fuss with ear buds.
  • d4_54
    d4_54 Posts: 62 Member

Can you help me with advice what I should be looking for in a decent off road bike. There are so many and I do not know what to look for in regards to bike features.

Thanks

ninerbuff wrote: »
    You hear it every year: "This diet/exercise plan is a BREAKTHROUGH after years of other failing plans!"

The truth is that practically every diet and exercise plan has already been featured at one time or another in the last 50 years or so. It's just repackaged in prettier advertising, infomercials and graphics. What ever "special" diet plan you're doing to lose weight isn't a new idea nor a breakthrough. It's usually a rehash of an idea or approach from previous attempts.
    Low carb, high fat, no carb, high protein, low GI, super sets, HIIT, etc. have been around for DECADES in the diet and fitness industry. And of course only THEIR way is the way to do it correctly.

The human body hasn't really changed at all in thousands of years. Evolution doesn't quite work that fast. So every diet HAS to have one method to apply to make it work......................CICO. Whether gaining weight, losing weight, maintaining weight, if that equation is incorrect for whatever you're trying to achieve, then it's going to end up being fruitless effort.

Before spending money on some outrageously claimed weight loss program, look at it objectively and see if it's just another program you've tried before. Because usually in the end, it was.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I marvel over the human mind. We have been sold "diets" for years. We are still here logging and weighing.

I understand there are commercial influences that keep us repeating silly dieting behaviour patterns but when are we going to wake up that most our problems (in this case dieting) are self perpetrated. Dysfunctional eating, and food and body issues can be solved without being sold the latest diet. The lack of diet is not really the problem.

We must physically and psychologically break the behaviours that leave us overweight, and focus on finding the things that are really important. Like love, self purpose, food, and inner peace.

A diet will not fix what is causing us to be unable to control our food.

Now for the required disclaimer.... (This doesn't apply to everyone. Some people have the right mindset and just need to learn a little about food nutrition, thermodynamics, and execise).

Anyway...no more preaching from me.
  • ninerbuff
    d4_54 wrote: »

Can you help me with advice what I should be looking for in a decent off road bike. There are so many and I do not know what to look for in regards to bike features.

Thanks

ninerbuff wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I marvel over the human mind. We have been sold "diets" for years. We are still here logging and weighing.

I understand there are commercial influences that keep us repeating silly dieting behaviour patterns but when are we going to wake up that most our problems (in this case dieting) are self perpetrated. Dysfunctional eating, and food and body issues can be solved without being sold the latest diet. The lack of diet is not really the problem.

We must physically and psychologically break the behaviours that leave us overweight, and focus on finding the things that are really important. Like love, self purpose, food, and inner peace.

A diet will not fix what is causing us to be unable to control our food.

Now for the required disclaimer.... (This doesn't apply to everyone. Some people have the right mindset and just need to learn a little about food nutrition, thermodynamics, and execise).

Anyway...no more preaching from me.
    That's a legit reason. But the issue is where they are going to get their information from. You'll mostly see "miraculous results" from those touting a diet program where a product is involved to use consistently and likely many are asked to endorse or sell. It's usually going to be based on some sort of "detox" first, then some liquid diet with some solid food thrown in between. They lose some weight and it's a "miracle", when the real catch is is that they just ate less than they burned. But that's not how it's marketed.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    It's on about a 30 year cycle, same with exercise gear. My parents had a 1960s AbWheel and Perfect Push Up. It's all great marketing and extremely effective - the industry holding ~$20B of the economy in the US alone.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    What is the debate topic?
  • tapwaters
    tapwaters Posts: 428 Member
    The last month I've been getting a lot of "You've lost a LOT of weight, what have you been doing?" When I respond "Counting calories," their eyes glaze over and they often mumble that they can't (or won't) do that.

Okay then.

I have a friend who will ask me what I have done, and whenever I reply "Eating right and exercising every day," you can just tell she'd wish I had said anything but the long route. As though she momentarily thought I had discovered some sort of secret treasure of weight loss that if only I had told her, she could lose 100lbs in the blink of an eye.
  • ninerbuff
    What is the debate topic?
    Lol, I expected some debate, but I guess not.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• mattyc772014
    mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member
    @ninerbuff Great post! CICO program is so simple and free.

Also the supplementation industry markets programs way to much. Most are not needed and the ones that do are way down the latter of what's most important in the scope of nutrition.