8/2 - 4.15 - Easy
    8/3 - 15.03 - Easy
    8/4 - 6.0 - Recovery
    8/5 - 11.06 Easy + 3.47 @ MP XC Practice
    8/6 - 7.0 Easy W/ 10 x 160M Strides
    8/7 - 10.22 MP
    8/8 - 4.38 Recovery
    9/9 - 9.53 Easy
    9/10 - 11.05 VO2Max workout with 6x600 w/ 400 recovery @ 5k pace.
    9/11 - 6.02 Recovery
    8/12 - 12.49 - Easy w/ 6.3 @ MP
    8/13 - 8.5 Easy
    8/14 - 22.01 - Long Run
    8/15 - 3.0 - Recovery
    8/16 -10.06 - Easy
    8/17 - 16.21 - Easy
    8/18 - 5.4 - Recovery
    8/19 - 8.7 - Tempo
    8/20 - 7.0 - Easy
    8/21 - 16.4 - Long Run
    8/22 - Rest
    8/23 - 6.0 - AM Recovery
    8/23 - 5.0 - PM Dreadmill at the Gym.
    8/24 - 9.17 - 6x600 VO2Max Intervals w/ 400 recovery.
    8/25 - 5.01 - Recovery
    8/26 - 14.02 Easy
    8/27 - 6.01 - Recovery
    8/28 - 20.01 Long Run - Last 2 @ MP

Total 271.14 of 285 miles

This weeks training schedule was a mess. Since I missed a 14 mile middle distance run Tuesday I had to juggle runs on the schedule trying to chase it back down. I tried on Thursday morning but had heavy rain and thunderstorms, Thursday night my legs were just not having it because of the hard intervals from Wednesday. Friday morning more Thunderstorms so I didn't get it in until Friday after the kids went to sleep. Not sure what that says about my life that I think a 14 mile run on Friday evening is the best option for spending my time. Saturday was an easy recovery run and today was a scheduled 18 mile long run. I figured since I spend all week trying to get a run back why not just get that 20 miler back I had to cut short several weeks ago. Run was a tough one since it was in the 70's with 85% humidity. I sorta planned the last 2.5 miles to be into the slight breeze and slightly downhill to get a few MP miles in to finish. Felt like my training had come off the tracks early in the week but getting 3 runs totally 40 miles in a little over 36 hours saved the week. Finished with 65.22 miles this week. Marathon is in about 6 weeks so I've got 3 more hard weeks to go, then taper which I feel my legs are really wanting right now.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    @katharmonic So sorry for your loss of your dog.

so yesterday was an all day ordeal of shopping for a new car for my wife, and picking stuff up out of her old car and then returning the rental. lots and lots of driving.

5 am 17 miler, quick shower, then we drove off to just north of Atlanta. That alone was a 4 hour drive. But there were really good deals for a used Ford Edge which is the car my wife wanted so bad. Spent a few hours on CarGurus and AutoTrader in the surrounding area last week and Atlanta had the best deals. Looked at the first one and eh. So we looked at the second one and that was the one we ended up getting. Then drove 2 hours from Atlanta to just north of Chattanooga to where the old car with the fire was. We emptied it out. Then dropped the rental off. Then we drove back home (another 2 hour drive). Today took it to Firestone to get serviced and a complete check out since we had some battery issues. Car checked out great. Just needs new tires and the battery terminals were loose.
  • TattooedDolphinGirl78
    TattooedDolphinGirl78 Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    @katharmonic My deepest condolences on the loss of your dog... :cry:
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    Let me try again

8/1 - 6 miles
    8/2 - 6 miles
    8/3 - rest day
    8/4 - 6 miles
    8/5 - 6 miles
    8/6 - rest day - went to a race with Skip
    8/7 - 10 miles
    8/8 - unscheduled rest day
    8/9 - 6 miles
    8/10 - 6 miles
    8/11 - 6 miles in and out of the misty rain - so nice!
    8/12 - 3 miles
    8/13 - rest day
    8/14 - 10 miles
    8/15 - rest day Skip had an early dentist appt
    8/16 - 6 miles
    8/17 - 6 miles
    8/18 - 5 miles
    8/19 - rest
    8/20 - 10 miles
    8/21 - 3 miles - recovery run
    8/22 - rest day
    8/23 - 7 miles - beautiful temp this morning - yeah!
    8/24 - 5 miles
    8/25 - 6 miles - the heat is back ha ha - and that is goal
    8/26 - 6 miles
    8/27 - rest day - first XC meet
    8/28 - 10 miles

129 out of 110 miles

exercise.png

Run was a suckfest this morning ha ha. Not bad pace, but I got out late, it was already 80F, legs felt like I had weights tied to my ankles. Then I stopped to talk to someone and didn't hear my Garmin and it autosaved my time and I had to use math (GASP!) while I was running to figure out how much further since I had to start a new run ha ha! I think my biggest issue is I'm dehydrated, haven't been getting my water in.

Off to catch up on all the posts.
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    @ariceroni Sorry that your leg still isn't better! I hope you figure out what the problem is soon. That's so frustrating that you get injured despite all you're doing to avoid it!
    @shanaber Take care of that heel - I hope it's nothing which would get in the way of your half.
    I have to admit, whenever I read of all the running injuries, I'm both glad I'm not injured - and paranoid that it's bound to happen to me too sooner or later. It's scary how many tendons, ligaments, bones and whatnot can act up and get in the way of running.

@luluinca There are different opinions on the 25%-35% rule. From a purely mathematical point of view: If you are running 4 days per week, the only way your long run would be 25% would be if all your runs where the same lengths. Personally, I think the rule becomes more important the longer your long runs get; and the bigger the difference between "long" and "short" runs. For example I used to do 3 runs of 5-5-8 km, so the "long" run would already be 44%, but still close enough in distance to the other "short" runs that I didn't feel it was different enough to cause a problem. When you run 6 times per week with a "long" run of 30km and five runs at 7-8km, the difference between the long run and the short runs would be crazy. I still don't hit exactly those "magic numbers" most of the time, but the more I increase my long run distance, the more I try to balance that by increasing the distance of the runs during the week.

@katharmonic I am so deeply sorry to hear you had to say farewell to your dog today! I remember how much I cried when my cat died after 16 years with him... I hope you will soon be able to think of your dog without tears and remember the good times with her. She looks beautiful in the photo.

@lporter229 Great run today!

@Stoshew71 Ugh, car shopping can be horrible. My car is troubling me (still drivable, but the list of things to fix is long, and the quotation from the garage for all repairs is almost more than I payed for the car two years ago), so I spent some time in used car lots yesterday as well, but without success *sigh* Glad your wife got the car she wanted, safe driving to her!

@Orphia Congratulations on the distance milestones, awesome!

I might or might not make my goal this month, depending on how the runs Tuesday and Wednesday go. Cutting it quite close this time... I overslept my alarm yesterday (I'll never be a morning runner!), so the heat was killing me by the time I got out. Yet another run cut short from 16km to 12km instead.
    This morning I did make it out of bed before sunrise, but probably only because I had a trip to the mountains planned, and I didn't want to screw that one up. Fortunately! It was awesome; but I'll do a seperate post because I want to add a few of the million pictures I took ;-)

exercise.png
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    Options
    @_nikkiwolf_ thanks for that explanation. It makes more sense to me now. I doubt it'll ever really be that important to me, at least not in my immediate future, as my goal is really just a 10K. I don't think I'll ever be a long distance runner but am enjoying challenging myself right now. I think time wise and activity wise I'll be lucky to get one shorter run, 2 medium distance and 1 longer per week. We'll see if that gets me where I want to be. Perhaps by the end of this training cycles I'll be able to incorporate the rule.
  • skippygirlsmom
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Great job to everyone making goal already! woohoo!

@kristinegift I took Skip to the he physio therapist on Friday and we talked about her hamstring. He said it'd hard when you are injured not to feel that injury even after you are better. Sometimes the mind remembers more than the actual injury does. Skip missed her first meet and looks like she'll miss her second because of the hamstring.
    @ddmom0811 nice job in goal!
    @adrianchr92 super job on 7th place AG
    @katharmonic sorry about your baby, I know how hard it is to lose a furbaby. I changed my profile pix in honor of your loss. Hugs.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @_nikkiwolf_ That looks like an amazing place to run! Also, counting it all toward your goal is very appropriate, it's all still training, and with the elevation gain on Strava, you deserve to count all of it. Awesome job!
  • skippygirlsmom
    Options
    @_nikkiwolf_ what a reminder of how beautiful our planet is. Congrats on such an amazing run/climb. :star:
  • luluinca
    Options
    @_nikkiwolf_ what beautiful pics and a great place to run, climb, hike or whatever. That would definitely be too challenging for me to run but I could hike it I know. I love being up in elevation where you get a view! Excellent run!
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    August Running Totals (miles)
    8/1 – 5.90 easy plus 4 strides
    8/2 – 6.24 hill run
    8/3 – rest day
    8/4 – 13.56 hot and humid
    8/5 – rest day
    8/6 – 14.13 paced run
    8/7 – 7.75 almost easy
    8/8 – 6.30 easy + 4 strides
    8/9 – 7.34 warmup, easy with a few fartleks
    8/10 – 6.66 group run
    8/11 – 4.18 lunch run
    8/11 – 0.88+2.04+1.15 warmup, time trial, cool down - daily double
    8/12 – rest day
    8/13 – 7.45 warmup, Bergen 5K 19:07 PR, cool down
    8/14 – 8.05 easy plus one stride
    8/15 – 5.40 easy plus 4 strides
    8/16 – 10.76 warmup + long intervals
    8/17 – rest day
    8/18 – 7.74 warmup + speed work
    8/19 – rest day
    8/20 – 22.01 partly paced run
    8/21 – 3.78 easy
    8/22 – rest day
    8/23 – 10.79 warmup + speed work
    8/24 – 6.42 group run
    8/25 – 12.26 tempo intervals
    8/26 – rest day
    8/27 – 22.03 paced run
    8/28 – 3.85 easy

August total to date – 196.67

Nominal Challenge Goal – 200 miles
    Real Goals: Survive last month before retirement. Train as well as possible toward Rochester Marathon. Avoid putting myself back on the couch.

Today's notes – The training assignment was 30 minutes easy; went 38 seconds over getting back to my driveway. Garmin feed said 86º F (30º C), but it was overcast and didn't feel that warm. Midway through the run it started to sprinkle, which turned into a light shower. Just enough to get the grass wet, so I can't mow. Oh, well. I never want to mow the lawn anyway.

Three days left in the month, and for a week I've been preparing myself mentally for the likelihood that work will interfere with my running tomorrow and Tuesday. Oh, well. Even if I lose both those days, it will be straightforward to get 6 miles in on Wednesday and hit the monthly goal. Not that I *want* to lose both Monday and Tuesday as running days; marathon training will feel better if I follow the plan for those days. Then at 5 PM Wednesday, I'm retired. Following a running plan should be easier in September.

2016 races:
    January 1, 2016 Resolution Run 7.5 mile (Mendon, NY) finished in 53:58
    January 9, 2016 Winter Warrior Half Marathon (Gates, NY) finished in 1:30:59
    March 12, 2016 Johnny's Runnin' of the Green 5 mile (Rochester, NY) finished in 32:32
    March 26, 2016 Spring Forward Distance Run 15K (Mendon, NY) finished in 1:05:24
    April 18, 2016 Boston Marathon (Hopkinton, MA) finished in 3:23:01
    April 24, 2016 Flower City Challenge Half Marathon (Rochester, NY) finished in 1:36:50, targeting MP
    May 15, 2016 Highland Hospital Lilac Run 10K (Rochester, NY) DNS - injury
    June 19, 2016 Medved 5K to Cure ALS (Rochester, NY) DNS - recovering from face plant
    July 16, 2016 Shoreline Half Marathon (Hamlin, NY) finished in 1:31:11
    August 13, 2016 Bergen Road Race 5K (Bergen, NY) finished in 19:07 (5K PR)
    September 4, 2016 Oak Tree Half Marathon (Geneseo, NY)
    September 18, 2016 Rochester Marathon (Rochester, NY)
    November 24, 2016 Race with Grace 10K (Hilton, NY)
  • luluinca
    Options
    @MobyCarp Congrats on the running but especially congrats on retirement...............and more time for running! :p
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    @katharmonic - I'm so sorry! I know it just feels awful. Lost 2 dogs over the years - one to a liver disease when he was only 6 and one to cancer at 10. With the second one, we got a rescue dog 2 days later. That helped, because the rescue really needed our help. He had been abused it seemed and it helped ease the pain of losing the dog. After we lost the first one, we waited over 2 years to get a new dog because we were so devastated. I don't think that was a good idea - it just dragged it out. We still talk about both of them. :heartbreak:

@_nikkiwolf_ -- those pictures are amazing. Saw them on Strava and was in awe! Wow.

@shanaber - hope the heel is better and it's not the plantar's f. (I can never spell it, especially after wine).

@MobyCarp - congrats on the retirement! I'm sure it is exciting, but must feel weird at the same time. 3 more days! :smile:

Bike ride today. After last Sunday's 58 miles, we were all pumped up to go even further today. The best laid plans... It was very windy, hot and we just all felt so exhausted at the end. Only 5 of us (last weekend 40 probably). So there wasn't a draft. Trust me, when biking a draft makes a huge difference. When we got home I felt like I did after giving blood and my iron got too low --- absolute fatigue. All the 5 in the group felt the same, so at least it's not just me.

Slow run planned for tomorrow. Going to be a busy week at school. In addition, the online college class I teach starts tomorrow and it's a class I rarely teach, the curriculum changed and it is a big class. So I will need my runs!

8/1 - 5.1 miles
    8/2 - 4.6 miles with intervals
    8/3 - 4.6 miles + Strength Training
    8/4 - 5.67 miles
    8/5 - 5.1 miles + Strength Training
    8/6 - 43 miles biking
    8/7 - 30 miles biking
    8/8 - 3.1 miles
    8/9 - 18 miles biking
    8/10 - strength training
    8/11 - 5.2 miles
    8/12 - 5.3 miles + strength training
    8/13 - 44 miles biking
    8/14 - 44 miles biking
    8/15 - 4.25 miles
    8/16 - 4.6 miles w/Intervals
    8/17 - strength training
    8/18 - 4.5 miles
    8/19 - 5 miles w/ intervals
    8/20 - 44 miles biking
    8/21 - 58 miles biking
    8/22 - rest day! I didn’t really want to, of course, but I know I needed sleep!
    8/23 - 5 miles
    8/24 - 4 miles
    8/25 rest day
    8/26 -5 miles
    8/27 - 8 miles
    8/28 - 52 miles biking

exercise.png

Upcoming races
    2/5/17 - Daytona Beach HM
    2/26/17 - Disney Princess HM Orlando
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much @ddmom0811, @ceciliaslater, @_nikkiwolf_ , @TattooedDolphinGirl78 , @Stoshew71, @lporter229 , @orphia, @shanaber, @HonuNui, @luluinca - I hope I didn't miss anyone - for all your kind words. My heart is pretty broken and the house is way too quiet without her.

I didn't get a run in today and I ate a lot. I wanted to run, but it was just too hot for what I was picturing as a nice cathartic run, so I did some retail therapy at the mall instead. And had a margarita. Tomorrow is another day.
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    Also, @_nikkiwolf_, beautiful pictures. Liked your story about the wrong mountain - great job on having the determination to get to the right one!

@ceciliaslater congrats on your first post-surgery long run! Way to go!

@MobyCarp so exciting to have your last day coming up. That's awesome.

@ddmom0811 good job getting through a tough ride today. Thanks for sharing about getting a new dog after losing your dogs. I feel like it won't be terribly long before I want to open my heart and house to a new dog. I volunteer for a dog rescue so it's only a matter of when I'm ready...