FRUSTRATED

Options

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    RobD520 wrote: »
    @gonetothedogs19 , why come to a calorie counting site and then bash calorie counting?

Not bashing calorie counting, weighing and measuring at all. It works very well for a few people.

Just like a plant-based vegan diet works very well for a few people.

But the vast majority of people will not count, weigh and measure food, just like the vast majority of people will not give up eating meat, poultry, fish, dairy and eggs.

Therefore, alternatives need to be explored. And if you fail at calorie counting, Phase I of South Beach (or other similar diets) could be a nice alternative (I said could be, because within two days, there are people who would hate it).

Full disclosure - I have met a few plant-based vegans, but have never met a calorie counter.

You also are trying to sell phase 1 of the South Beach, in part, on the strength of the water weight loss.

That may have been the most foolish statement I have ever read on an internet board dedicated to weight loss or fitness.

Seriously, who cares about water weight loss.

Are you kidding? You weigh 175 and you are trying to get to 125. You do two or three weeks of South Beach Phase I (or the equivalent) and now you are 165. The alternate is to just count calories, and now you weight 173. I think most people would be thrilled with the 165. It's called a jump start your weight loss.

And if you can stick with it, it's terrific, because you eliminate high-calorie junk food (cookies, smoothies, chips, ice cream, cake, fruit juice pretzels, etc.) from your diet, making it much easier to lose weight.

It's important to look good than feel good! gotcha

https://youtu.be/J0RTD7250II
  • IcanIwill1
    IcanIwill1 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Interesting thread.
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,363 Member
    Options
    I'm not a pro at this but it sounds like youre doing well. I started with 1200/cal a day, but my friend, who lost 70lbs since january said 1200 is not good for me & I won't be able to live on an eating plan like that. I'm on it for the long term, so i upped it to 1440 & for now don't re eat what i get back in exercise. The amount of food I eat a day is enough & i'm never hungry unless I skip a meal. I plan to eat more calories once in a while, but it will be planed
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    @gonetothedogs19 , why come to a calorie counting site and then bash calorie counting?

Not bashing calorie counting, weighing and measuring at all. It works very well for a few people.

But the vast majority of people will not count, weigh and measure food, just like the vast majority of people will not give up eating meat, poultry, fish, dairy and eggs.

Therefore, alternatives need to be explored. And if you fail at calorie counting, Phase I of South Beach (or other similar diets) could be a nice alternative (I said could be, because within two days, there are people who would hate it).

Full disclosure - I have met a few plant-based vegans, but have never met a calorie counter.

You also are trying to sell phase 1 of the South Beach, in part, on the strength of the water weight loss.

That may have been the most foolish statement I have ever read on an internet board dedicated to weight loss or fitness.

Are you kidding? You weigh 175 and you are trying to get to 125. You do two or three weeks of South Beach Phase I (or the equivalent) and now you are 165. The alternate is to just count calories, and now you weight 173. I think most people would be thrilled with the 165. It's called a jump start your weight loss.

And if you can stick with it, it's terrific, because you eliminate high-calorie junk food (cookies, smoothies, chips, ice cream, cake, fruit juice pretzels, etc.) from your diet, making it much easier to lose weight.

How much do you weigh?
  • RobD520
    RobD520 Posts: 420 Member
    Options

Are YOU kidding???

This person who dumps a bunch of water weight the first couple weeks does feel good. That same person will wake up one morning retaining some of that lost water, having gained several of those pounds back and wonder what he or she did wrong.

People trying to lose weight are intending to lose fat.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,950 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    I can't believe someone is suggesting water weight is a success (well, actually I can)

Why not advise people to sit in a sauna for an hour a day? That will drop water faster than a low carb diet will...

Ya, I wish I had MFP back when I was in the military and was doing stupid stuff like sauna-ing to drop water weight for weigh-ins.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    OP don't listen to this crap:
    seska422 wrote: »
    Don't starve. Experiment to see what mix of macros will help you with satiety. Generally, protein, fat, and fiber help with feeling full longer so you might want to eat a higher percentage of those than you currently do.

You don't have to do everything at once. Baby steps. Start by just logging what you normally eat and then go back through to see where you might eat smaller portions and/or substitute some calorie-dense foods that you like with different foods that you also like.

1.2 pounds are 1.2 pounds. Weight loss is a marathon, not a sprint.

This chart has some helpful advice:

wyt2v336xrr1.jpg

How many times am I going to see this chart?

If you want to jump-start your weight loss, meaning you will lose lots of water weight, I suggest a very high-fat, no sugar and no grain diet. Phase I of the South Beach Diet is suggested to get you started. There are many others out there that are similar.

This a good summary of the two-week plan:

http://www.prevention.com/weight-loss/diets/south-beach-diet-sample-meal-plan

CICO, SCHMICO. The fact is, you will lose much more weight in two weeks on this eating regimen, than you will lose doing some generic CICO diet, even if you eat the EXACT same amount of calories. It doesn't matter if it's "only" water weight. Weight is weight.

And if you have an issue with blood sugars, it will bring your levels down.

You could lose up to ten pounds in two weeks, as opposed to losing (hopefully) two pounds counting calories. And if you really like the diet, you could do it for another two weeks.

You might hate this diet, but it's worth a try. Good luck.
    They have no idea what basic science is.
  • gonetothedogs19
    gonetothedogs19 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I'm glad there are people here who are successful with CICO. But to say that a calorie is a calorie (200 calories of donuts = 200 calories of salad) when it comes to success at weight loss is "settled science" is incorrect. It is not.

http://www.prevention.com/weight-loss/weight-loss-tips/5-reasons-to-never-count-another-calorie
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,361 Member
    Options
    OP in another post you mentioned you weighed 128lb (at 5ft tall), you don't have a lot of weight to lose, therefore, you are not likely to lose a lot of weight each week. In fact, for your current weight and the total amount of weight you want to lose, you are doing quite well at the rate you are losing.

• Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I'm glad there are people here who are successful with CICO. But to say that a calorie is a calorie (200 calories of donuts = 200 calories of salad) when it comes to success at weight loss is "settled science" is incorrect. It is not.

http://www.prevention.com/weight-loss/weight-loss-tips/5-reasons-to-never-count-another-calorie

You do not understand science

Seriously. it's like saying what weighs more, a pound of feathers or a pound of bricks? a pound is a pound. a calorie is a calorie. 1200 calories of junk is the same as 1200 calories of clean food in terms of weight loss only. [how you feel and how your blood sugar responds is something entirely different]
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,950 Member
    Options
    OP in another post you mentioned you weighed 128lb (at 5ft tall), you don't have a lot of weight to lose, therefore, you are not likely to lose a lot of weight each week. In fact, for your current weight and the total amount of weight you want to lose, you are doing quite well at the rate you are losing.

Yes, if these are the OP's stats she's doing quite well.