Options
    What planet did Diet Coke come from? :wink:

uh...... Pluto?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,579 Member
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    muwee72 wrote: »
    She said its been linked to adding fat to the stomach area and she wants all natural foods

Omg

Where did she train?

She's a derpster

It makes sense. Unnatural foods panic your digestive system, raising stress and belly fat creating cortisol.
    Yeah no. If you were to only eat "natural" food in it's "natural" state, then it'd be raw. Ever eat raw rice?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,579 Member
    Options
    CincyNeid wrote: »
    I agree. You should give up Diet Soda. Full of artificial chemicals and what not. Half of those words most of us cannot even pronounce correctly...

Drink Small Batch Craft Beer made from natural ingredients, from Planet Earth, the way it was meant to be.
    Chemicals aren't artificial. They are just chemicals. And the "pronouncing" of words should be heeded when selecting food? Go to a chemistry class and read what makes up and apple or banana. If you can pronounce eat chemical without fail, then eat it. If not..............

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    @fitmom4lifemfp How does full fat dressing "ruin" the health benefits of a salad? That's silly.

Okay bad wording. It can RUIN your day, calorie-wise. The salad, being naturally low-calorie, can be completely negated, calorie-wise, with full fat dressing.

To be fair, most people don't think of the health benefits of a salad being limited to (or even being primarily) it being low cal, yet you said: "Full fat dressings are one of the worst things you can eat - completely ruins the salad's health benefits."

I personally wouldn't want a super low cal meal (at least if I weren't trying to make up for some earlier splurge), so even if I have a salad, depending on the meal, I will likely want the overall meal to be about 350-550 calories. If that's mostly from the salad because I add more caloric things, that doesn't take away from the benefit of the salad (which is usually that it provides a balanced and filling meal with lots of vegetables and some protein, as I tend to add protein).

As for full-fat dressing, even a classic vinaigrette would be 1.5 tablespoons of oil for .5 tablespoon of vinegar for 2 tablespoons (quite a lot of dressing). That's about 150 calories, hardly enough to ruin a day, especially if the salad itself is quite low cal, as would often be the case. And of course one can easily add more vinegar/mustard/other add in and less oil (as I normally do).

I ran a homemade ranch recipe, and for 2 TBSP it's even less than the classic vinaigrette, more like 135, and a bit less if you sub 0% greek yogurt for the sour cream.
  • CincyNeid
    CincyNeid Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    CincyNeid wrote: »
    I agree. You should give up Diet Soda. Full of artificial chemicals and what not. Half of those words most of us cannot even pronounce correctly...

Drink Small Batch Craft Beer made from natural ingredients, from Planet Earth, the way it was meant to be.
    Chemicals aren't artificial. They are just chemicals. And the "pronouncing" of words should be heeded when selecting food? Go to a chemistry class and read what makes up and apple or banana. If you can pronounce eat chemical without fail, then eat it. If not..............

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

lac3405i5rmp.gif
  • ktekc
    ktekc Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    As far as ranch dressing goes i use Bolthouse brand its in the refrigerated section. It yogurt based and 45 calories a serving. . My favorite is salsa ranch but the have a few others including regular ranch.
  • CincyNeid
    CincyNeid Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    Some slapnut brought up ranch dressing and now the whole discussion has gotten sidetracked.

dang it... now I want wings to go with that Ranch Dressing ....
  • lemurcat12
    edited August 2016
    Options
    kgeyser wrote: »

Well to be fair, everyone was just going off of what you said. There was nothing to "figure out".

To be fair, your are right - there was nothing to figure out. It was really pretty simple. Hope I have cleared it up for you.

Yes, now that you have completely changed what you said, you have cleared it up. Thanks

LOL. I thought it was clear that I was discussing fatty salad dressings that "ruin" a day (in my mind it does negate the meal - no matter WHAT is is, if you are throwing 400 calories of fat and a crap-ton of sodium on it) for someone trying to count calories and lose weight. Really, I don't see the mystery.

http://www.modernman.com/5-ingredients-that-ruin-a-healthy-salad/

http://www.kaylaitsines.com/blogs/news/79818502-6-ways-you-are-ruining-your-salads

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/the-daily-meal/the-healthiest-and-unheal_b_3517759.html

There is evidence that full-fat salad dressing aids in nutrient absorption, so using reduced fat or non-fat dressings can defeat the purpose of eating the healthy, nutrient filled salad in the first place.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15277161

I always have some sort of fat on my salad (I love a salad with olives, especially), so don't worry about this much, but it is good advice especially for those who may be prone to try and cut calories to a minimum by cutting out both all add-ons that have fat and any fat in the dressing.

Taste is relevant too, of course. I find my dressing just a bit tastier when I add some olive oil (doesn't even have to be much) to the vinegar. A ranch without fat just doesn't seem like it would taste good at all. (Which seems to have been OP's impression too, of course.) ;-)
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Some slapnut brought up ranch dressing and now the whole discussion has gotten sidetracked.

To be fair, it was the OP that brought it up...lol
  • TheLegendaryBrandonHarris
    Options
    Eh, I posted the picture of the Ranch Dressing soda :/
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Dang it, I didn't see it.
  • TheLegendaryBrandonHarris
    Options
    I also managed to get a screenshot of the post asking everyone what their favorite smelling colon was...
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    She said its been linked to adding fat to the stomach area and she wants all natural foods

She is wrong.

Yeah...a 0 calorie drink has no impact on weight gain. That's like saying water makes you fat.
    Full fat dressings are one of the worst things you can eat - completely ruins the salad's health benefits.
    LOL!!! Thanks for the laugh.
    It does not ruin a salad. How exactly would it do that? Do you have any scientific papers that prove this? Does ranch have special absorbing properties where none of the micro nutrients of the salad make it to the stomach? Does ranch dressing disintegrate fiber?

Jesus H Christ. If you can't figure out what I meant, then just ignore it. Oy vey.

She is wrong.

Yeah...a 0 calorie drink has no impact on weight gain. That's like saying water makes you fat.
    Full fat dressings are one of the worst things you can eat - completely ruins the salad's health benefits.
    LOL!!! Thanks for the laugh.
    It does not ruin a salad. How exactly would it do that? Do you have any scientific papers that prove this? Does ranch have special absorbing properties where none of the micro nutrients of the salad make it to the stomach? Does ranch dressing disintegrate fiber?

Jesus H Christ. If you can't figure out what I meant, then just ignore it. Oy vey.

Well to be fair, everyone was just going off of what you said. There was nothing to "figure out".

This. But you cleared it up.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Eh, I posted the picture of the Ranch Dressing soda :/

That was an impressive find.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    When these "addicted to soda"" threads pop up, which is often.. I often question why so many people are addicted to these drinks. People will reply "it's the caffeine", so with that, OP could you substitute your soda with coffee?