Calling all Hunters/Gatherers

Options

Replies

• JDMac82
    JDMac82 Posts: 3,192 Member
    Options
    Making deer steaks for lunch.

Archery for deer and turkey, gun only in later parts of season.

Waterfowl wanting to try with my bow... But use my shotgun.

Add me up if you want.
  • JDMac82
    Options
    MattDelR wrote: »
    Kate14987,

Sadly, you're not in the minority when it comes to misunderstanding hunting. Unfortunately it's poorly represented to the majority of folks that aren't involved in it. Most people simply don't know the truth about it, simple misinformation leads to wrong judgement.

The vast majority of hunters are not "trophy hunters", no one I know wastes the meat and I've known a LOT of hunters. It all goes to good use. Sometimes it feeds homeless or hungry, sometimes it feeds us and our families. No matter what, it's some of the healthiest meat we can consume and we don't let it go to waste, even if we also mount the animal it came from.

As for feeling bad, I've been hunting for 26 years now and I have killed a lot of animals. If you don't feel a little remorse, there's probably something wrong with you. It's not something you should ever take lightly, you are taking a life. Personally, for me it's a huge mix of emotions.

First it's not nearly as easy as most people believe. I mostly hunt whitetail deer, and mature deer avoid hunting pressure incredibly well. So there is always a sense of accomplishment and excitement when you get the deer you're after in range and make a clean, ethical shot. Followed by a great feeling of relief.

When I lay my hands on the animal for the first time I feel great sadness that I've taken the life of a beautiful animal, but at the same time, you can't help but be completely overwhelmed with a sense of gratitude or thankfulness that you are able to use this animal to sustain your own life.

It's the most natural thing humans do right there with breathing.

I often wish there was a way to eat them and breathe life back into them and do it all over again, but it's simply not the case, so we simply respect them and utilize them to the best of our abilities.

I truly love animals, probably more than most "anti-hunters". I study them, I enjoy photographing them, viewing them, learning everything about them, donating to help them thrive. I've adopted abused dogs, rescued and raised orphaned raccoons, helped abandoned cats, etc. I have a great respect for all animals, but at the same time, I understand that I need them as food to survive. So I have to kill some of them.

Far better for us to utilize them than have them going to waste being hit by cars or starving to death from exceeding the carrying capacity of the habitat. We are meant to eat them, but meant to respect them.

Until you kill something for your own food, it's hard to understand all that though. I always suggest people at least be a part of butchering at least one animal to get a sense of appreciation for where their cheeseburgers come from.

Anyway, good luck to all my fellow hunters and huntresses this season. Be safe and shoot straight.

Oh, and someone else mentioned it, but yes, if ever you have the chance, you must visit the West even just to see it. But if you can, hunt elk!!! I bowhunted elk a few years ago and lived in the mountains of Idaho for a little over a week. DIY backpacking adventure. Called in three different quality bulls and one cow to 50 yards or less, but never could get a clear shot. Also saw 3 grizzly bears, a mountain lion, tons of mule deer and pronghorn, and a big horn ram silhouetted on an adjacent mountain ridge. Just an absolutely incredible experience that everyone needs to try....I can't wait to do it again when I can. Good exercise out there too, because everything is way further away than you think....I'll just hike over that hill over there...(three hours later) lol It's beautiful out there.

-Matt

Nailed it!

Good luck to everyone this season as well!
  • nojuicejustjin
    nojuicejustjin Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    off subject...but this is my fave trail cam pic in recent years. Turkey coming in for a landing...

pkzzkyql26l2.jpg

Epic shot!!
  • nojuicejustjin
    Options
    Tomk652015 wrote: »
    I don't hunt. I eat very little animal protein, and when I do, it's usually wild caught fish. Most of the folks in this thread seem ethical. The dude who said, "nothing like pulling a heart out of an animal while it's still warm" is a numbnuts, but other than that. hunters fill a vital need that natural predators no longer fill.

Trophy hunters on the other hand...especially those dicks that go to "big game" preserves for rich, white men, are a bunch of cowards. Every. Single. One. Of. Them. No. Exceptions.

Trophy hunters are a disgrace to real hunters.

As I said before, it's a Native American and overall hunting tradition to remove the heart of your first kill (or the liver) and take a bite. It shows that you have respect for that animals life and are thankful for its sacrifice by essentially becoming a part of it. It sounds gross to many but true hunters understand this tradition. A true hunter utilizes EVERY bit of an animal possible so as not to waste any. A true Hunter doesn't make an animal suffer if it's within their means. We respect wildlife and love it. We partake in hunting seasons to help the over population and invasive capabilities a certain species may have.

As Matt said earlier, if you kill an animal and not feel a tad sad... Something is off. I hate boar and pythons. I love them when they're not overtaking areas they're not meant to be in. I dont enjoy their death but it is relieving when I know I'm helping eliminate the dangerous invasive species they are as well as protecting crops that farmers work so hard on and live off of. Also it helps protect the native fauna&flora.

I don't really have a problem with Trophy Hunters as long as the meat goes to a good use. Typically a trophy type animal of any kind is old and wiser and more challenging to kill. Many times almost putting the hunter and prey on a more even playing field.

However, that said, the trophy hunt SIMPLY HAS TO BE FAIR CHASE. not enclosed high fence hunting. thats not hunting, thats killing and thats party why ethical hunters get a bad wrap. Like anything else, there are extremest out there on both fronts and really NEVER represent the majority and just make a bunch of noise to throw off the real way 99% of things are.

I get you. More times than not their meat will not be consumed by them. So they kill for a head or fur but no real consummation which is what turns me off from most trophy hunters.
  • Chrisjuvers
    Chrisjuvers Posts: 2,692 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    je2pfqjn8f33.jpeg
    It just a doe but that's all I got last year. We eat all the animals that we harvest. If a trophy deer is killed, I donate the meat to the homeless shelter because older deer are tough.
  • nojuicejustjin
    Options
    je2pfqjn8f33.jpeg
    It just a doe but that's all I got last year. We eat all the animals that we harvest. If a trophy deer is killed, I donate the meat to the homeless shelter because older deer are tough.

Nice. And you're better than most in that regard.

Anyone here hunt gator before? Lol I feel like I may be on my own with that
  • Chrisjuvers
    Chrisjuvers Posts: 2,692 Member
    Options
    No gator but I'd be down to try it. Deer, turkey, and geese here.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    @nojuicejustjin No gators here in MT, but we do have our hands full with wolves and grizzly bears. I've eaten gator before, pretty tasty breaded & deep fried.
  • nojuicejustjin
    Options
    No gator but I'd be down to try it. Deer, turkey, and geese here.

Gator tail is delicious! If you're ever in Louisiana or Florida it's something to look out for
  • nojuicejustjin
    Options
    Rocknut53 wrote: »
    @nojuicejustjin No gators here in MT, but we do have our hands full with wolves and grizzly bears. I've eaten gator before, pretty tasty breaded & deep fried.

Heck yea! Gator nuggets are the best lol
  • JDMac82
    Options
    Spent the weekend repping for 5 hunting related companies at a Fall Expo. Was the ONLY Archery related rep at the Expo.

Thursday, dove and deer seasons open up!
  • Tweaking_Time
    Tweaking_Time Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Dove season starts Thursday.
    If dove could shoot back, I would be a dead man. B)
    I need about 50 shells for the 15 bird limit lol.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options

I hope you use a stock pad!
  • nojuicejustjin
    Options

:lol:
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Rocknut53 wrote: »
    kate141987 wrote: »
    I apologise if I came across as being judgemental, the majority of hunting stories iv read about have been trophy hunting and it absolutely disgusts me plus the fact I love animals and am passionate about animal welfare. Also iv just started becoming vegetarian lol

So anything about animals can get my blood boiling, plus I don't know anything about hunting my reply was genuine I don't understand how anyone can kill and gut an animal, but I do realise now it's perhaps part of tradition and you can enjoy completely free range meat, instead of meat from caged animals which is obviously better.

I still feel kinda bad for the animals...but I'm not judging you, il leave you's to enjoy your hunting :smile:

I appreciate your honesty in discussing this topic. That said, most hunters feel some compassion and sadness when killing an animal for food. It's human nature. I don't hunt as much as I used to but we still manage to put an elk in the freezer every year to go along with all of our produce we grow. We've always done it and will continue until we can't. Unfortunately, there is growing pressure to change our attitudes about it because a lot of people just don't understand.

I totally agree about game hunting. My uncles, cousins, and grandfathers all hunt(ed), and yes, they did do the deer head on the wall thing but they also had freezers full of venison to eat. I def am of the tune of 'you kill it, you eat it.' I am VERY certain that my grandfather feed me squirrel when I was younger because they were destroying his garden.
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    kate141987 wrote: »
    I apologise if I came across as being judgemental, the majority of hunting stories iv read about have been trophy hunting and it absolutely disgusts me plus the fact I love animals and am passionate about animal welfare. Also iv just started becoming vegetarian lol

So anything about animals can get my blood boiling, plus I don't know anything about hunting my reply was genuine I don't understand how anyone can kill and gut an animal, but I do realise now it's perhaps part of tradition and you can enjoy completely free range meat, instead of meat from caged animals which is obviously better.

I still feel kinda bad for the animals...but I'm not judging you, il leave you's to enjoy your hunting :smile:

I understand your hesitation as I never pulled a trigger until I was in my 20's. But that changed quickly.

I own a 120 acre hobby farm (0.42 miles square). We manage it strictly for hardwood timber production and hunting deer, turkey, dove, wood duck, and fishing on our 10 acres of ponds and lakes. I have fields in alfalfa and in ladino clover. We also do food plots. My oldest son and I spend days and days managing the place each month, brush-hogging, putting out and retrieving 5 trail cams, eradicating multiflora rose - autum olive - and any other nuisance plants, girdling undesirable trees, and maintaining miles of trails. We love it!

We know the deer on our property and actually plan which deer we will let grow another year, which ones we will harvest, and which ones we will try to get as a trophy. The biggest buck we have harvested had a total score of 182 inches. We will not shoot any buck unless it scores at least 150-inches. We generally use does for venison and give the bucks to a local animal sanctuary - DD Farm Animal Sanctuary (https://ddfarmanimalsanctuary.wordpress.com/). BTW - they need a deer a day to feed the lions, Siberian tigers, mountain lions, etc. We also hunt geese and give them to the DD Farm...cool place!

Lastly, I know several what you would call "trophy hunters" that went on African, New Zealand, and South American hunting trips. Nothing - and I mean nothing - goes to waste. All meat is the property of the villages that host the hunters and it is all consumed. The press reports partial truth's and are lying by omission. That being said, there are a few "kittens" out there that I could drown in a mud puddle given the chance.

In New York, when the game wardens calculate that there are to many deer, you can get an extra tag if you donate the meat to a butcher who is certified by the state and passes it along to an approved food pantry! I volunteered one summer at a local food bank and we literally had an entire stand up freezer full of just venison.

I am glad the villagers get the meat- I mean, people in Africa have been eating their animals for as long as we've been eating deer and elk.
  • bolesbe202
    bolesbe202 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I hunt some but not a lot. But I really love fishing. Just don't seem like I ever have time to do it though.
  • nojuicejustjin
    Options
    That's awesome. I feel if anyone has a surplus during their seasons they should donate it regardless.
  • Rabbitsocksgardener
    Rabbitsocksgardener Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Does fishing count? :) I'd love to try expanding to land hunting (lol) but I've got no one to teach me boooo