Anyone else always cold?

Replies

• snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    JessicaMcB wrote: »
    I have been working on striking maintenance energy balance (still a work in progress as I've dropped down to 130) but find lately I'm freezing all the time. Like its August and I'm wearing sweaters, hiding under throws and have the furnace flicked on. I think my husband is ready to throttle me as he runs hot. Anyone else find they are cold all the time post weight loss? I had this issue when I was last roughly this weight but I don't remember being THIS cold :/

Have you had your thyroid function checked lately?
  • MudRunChica
    MudRunChica Posts: 24 Member
    I'm always cold. I've never been overweight, but when I bulk I tend to run hotter. At maintenance, though, still cold.
  • powered85
    powered85 Posts: 297 Member
    I've found running a deficit has an impact on being cold sometimes. I'm in the north too and really notice it from Nov-Apr. But losing the layer of insulation really contributes too.
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    I have been working on striking maintenance energy balance (still a work in progress as I've dropped down to 130) but find lately I'm freezing all the time. Like its August and I'm wearing sweaters, hiding under throws and have the furnace flicked on. I think my husband is ready to throttle me as he runs hot. Anyone else find they are cold all the time post weight loss? I had this issue when I was last roughly this weight but I don't remember being THIS cold :/

Have you had your thyroid function checked lately?

No though I have no other issues that would lead me to believe I have thyroid issues. I'll bring it up next time I'm in to my GP though.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Yeah to an extent. My husband often turns on the AC because he's too hot and I end up needing a sweater. I'm always freezing in restaurants and stores... But over 80 and I'm too hot...
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Eat more protein to increase your TEF.

I eat rather high protein, I doubt this is the issue. Good thought though!
  • BananaBite
    BananaBite Posts: 135 Member
    edited August 2016
    Usually when you lack iron, you become colder. Your body may need more iron then you think. Iron is used by your blood to help transport oxygen to the rest of your body. If you don't get enough iron, you'll tend to be very tired since your body isn't getting enough oxygen (which it uses, in part, to help burn the calories that give you energy).

• girl_inflames
    girl_inflames Posts: 375 Member
    I have the same problem. it's 105 in Phoenix right now and I go outside in a hoodie. :neutral:
  • Abm4n
    Abm4n Posts: 529 Member
    Me too - always cold especially extremities. I put it down to a higher surface area to volume ratio after losing weight.
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    edited August 2016
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    I was always cold before I lost weight and started exercising. I was notorious for wearing sweat pants, long sleeves and socks all summer long. Now I am at an even keel on the temperature. It might also be my hormones..LOL :)

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who's started feeling warmer after losing weight. I used to freeze all the time but now I'm constantly stripping down to the minimum required for modesty. It's practical being so warm-blooded, because I live close to the North Pole. ;)
  • Fitwarrior7_Round_2
    Fitwarrior7_Round_2 Posts: 453 Member
    I am the exact opposite, always hot!
  • jessicarobinson00
    jessicarobinson00 Posts: 414 Member
    Always cold..even when it's 90 out...tea has been my new friend! :D
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Lagopus wrote: »
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    I was always cold before I lost weight and started exercising. I was notorious for wearing sweat pants, long sleeves and socks all summer long. Now I am at an even keel on the temperature. It might also be my hormones..LOL :)

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who's started feeling warmer after losing weight. I used to freeze all the time but now I'm constantly stripping down to the minimum required for modesty. It's practical being so warm-blooded, because I live close to the North Pole. ;)

I was beginning to think I may be the only one, perhaps I was leaning towards I was not human anymore...LOL

North Pole? Wow! :)
  • Diana_GettingFit
    Diana_GettingFit Posts: 458 Member
    I do feel cold easier than I used to. Last winter I was freezing! I have this huge winter coat that's very warm. It used to have to be in the mid 20's or lower for me to be able to wear it or I would be sweating. Well, last winter I was wearing it when the temp outside was 42! I have to say summer is easier to tolerate than it used to be. I'll see what happens this winter now I'm in maintenance.
  • RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member

Hi
    I have noticed that my body reacts to sugars in my diet. Or to put it another way a Temperature of 75 that feels comfortable will feel too hot if I eat sweets even if the daily calories are the same. Which also explains why this summer on a Lower carb higher diet I am much more comfortable than in previous years. Some of that is of course do to the weight loss. However I can not attribute it only to weight loss as Even this year while I have been maintaining the same weight range, Withing 5 pounds for highs to lows and being a 1/2 pound below my previous low I felt somewhat cold when I went out the door walking despite it being 72 degrees and was wondering if I should have put on a long sleeve shirt and worn gloves.

So my suggestion is look at Your diet. BTW this link to a Interactive Requirements page on the USDA.GOV might be helpful. http://fnic.nal.usda.gov/fnic/interactiveDRI/

Good Luck
    Roger
  • mysticwryter
    mysticwryter Posts: 111 Member
    edited August 2016
    Have you checked to see if you are getting enough iron in your diet? Usually a sign of being cold is a low iron-intake.

I get cold all the time at work, but I also don't use A/C where it stays at 69 degrees or less. If you aren't experiencing any other health issues with being cold, it could be just that you are cold. Yes, fat has more insulating properties but it's not like you're a polar bear swimming in arctic seas.
  • goingtobefit2015
    goingtobefit2015 Posts: 408 Member
    LOL I'm freezing right now in my office...but I have always been that way even when I was 60 lbs heavier. I am also been anemic not sure if that matters!
  • mburgess458
    mburgess458 Posts: 480 Member
    Have you checked to see if you are getting enough iron in your diet? Usually a sign of being cold is a low iron-intake.

I get cold all the time at work, but I also don't use A/C where it stays at 69 degrees or less. If you aren't experiencing any other health issues with being cold, it could be just that you are cold. Yes, fat has more insulating properties but it's not like you're a polar bear swimming in arctic seas.

This was going to be my question. My wife was always cold... eventually realized she had anemia due to low iron. Fixed the anemia and it fixed being cold all the time. If you changed your diet in order to lose weight perhaps you aren't getting enough iron?