lifters, whats your worst lift?

Options

Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    What qualifies as a "crappy" overhead press? I am just curious. It is by far my weakest lift of the big lifts, but what are the standards?

I love picking stuff up over my head. Makes me feel beasty.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    OHP here, too.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Ohp for sure
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    12 oz. curls.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    right now just about everything...I'm recovering from a bulging disk and pinched nerve in my neck so pretty much just doing rehabby *kitten*.

sucks... :( Sorry, man

Yeah...it's been about six weeks or so with a month of PT. It's definitely improving and I'd say I'm about 85% back in terms of the pain and tingling/numbness...and I'm just now to the point where I can get out on my bike for a decent ride...but yeah...I'm going to have some work to do in the coming months on all fronts.

I was supposed to do a century at the end of Sept that I think I'm going to bring down to a 1/2 because I haven't been able to train for awhile...I did do a time trial a few weeks ago, and I thought I was going to die...not during (too much adrenaline) but afterwards for the whole day I just wanted someone to shoot me and get it over with.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    right now just about everything...I'm recovering from a bulging disk and pinched nerve in my neck so pretty much just doing rehabby *kitten*.

Yeah...it's been about six weeks or so with a month of PT. It's definitely improving and I'd say I'm about 85% back in terms of the pain and tingling/numbness...and I'm just now to the point where I can get out on my bike for a decent ride...but yeah...I'm going to have some work to do in the coming months on all fronts.

I was supposed to do a century at the end of Sept that I think I'm going to bring down to a 1/2 because I haven't been able to train for awhile...I did do a time trial a few weeks ago, and I thought I was going to die...not during (too much adrenaline) but afterwards for the whole day I just wanted someone to shoot me and get it over with.

Mine happened in June of last year between L4-L5. Sucked. Had horrible sciatica. I wish back pain on no one.
  • Keladelphia
    Keladelphia Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Definitely bench press and I totally know it's my own fault. It's the lift I train the least since it has the lowest carryover to my Olympic lifts (which are the lifts i'm most concerned about). Still it's embarrassingly low compared to my other lifts :(

That's fine though since your priority is your Olympic lifts. I could have said my snatch and C&J are my worst lifts because I never do them. I don't have a coach and would probably injure myself if I tried them with any significant weight. That's why I stick to the powerlifting lifts for now.
    Fair enough. I'll let myself slide though i'd still like to have a bench number that is at least somewhat in line with my other lifts....almost 80 pounds less than my jerk and only a hair over my OHP isn't very respectable ha-ha.
  • DeadliftsandDonuts
    DeadliftsandDonuts Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Definitely bench press and I totally know it's my own fault. It's the lift I train the least since it has the lowest carryover to my Olympic lifts (which are the lifts i'm most concerned about). Still it's embarrassingly low compared to my other lifts :(

That's fine though since your priority is your Olympic lifts. I could have said my snatch and C&J are my worst lifts because I never do them. I don't have a coach and would probably injure myself if I tried them with any significant weight. That's why I stick to the powerlifting lifts for now.
    Fair enough. I'll let myself slide though i'd still like to have a bench number that is at least somewhat in line with my other lifts....almost 80 pounds less than my jerk and only a hair over my OHP isn't very respectable ha-ha.

My bench is 100 lbs over my OHP but it's still low enough that I can deadlift double my bench PR! It really should be higher since I bench heavy 3x a week. :(
  • Keladelphia
    Keladelphia Posts: 820 Member
    Options

My bench is 100 lbs over my OHP but it's still low enough that I can deadlift double my bench PR! It really should be higher since I bench heavy 3x a week. :(

Benching 3x a week you'll get where you want to be :) And my DL is almost triple my bench PR so that should still make you feel better
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options

Mine happened in June of last year between L4-L5. Sucked. Had horrible sciatica. I wish back pain on no one.

Mines between C6 - C7...pain that shoots into both of my shoulders like I have a sprained or torn rotator cuff and then numbness down my arms and into my thumb and forefingers...it blows *kitten*...when it happened I totally flipped because I didn't know what was going on...just woke up numb and tingly...that was mid July of this year.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    Overhead work is struggle bus on this cut. Monday barely managed 95lbs for triples
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Curls.

Seriously, though, I guess it depends on how, exactly you define "worst." I haven't been training OHP for a little bit, so that's might be mine. Then again, I neglected rows for too long, so that might be it - although they seem to be coming up finally, so probably not.

I might would have said bench before a few weeks ago, then I smashed a PR and my bench went from Suckville to Respectabletown.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    OHP. Difficult to increase weight, and I have to be very careful or my right shoulder snaps, pops, and hurts like a SOB.

I wouldn't do it at all given the shoulder except that it possible to do pain-free if I'm super careful with grip, elbow position, and go slow over the mid-portion of the lift just in case I have to adjust.
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,543 Member
    Options
    Out of the three I focus on for my sport, probably bench, buy I'm currently rectifying it with my new training block. Deadlift would be second... Squats are kinda my thing.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

Mines between C6 - C7...pain that shoots into both of my shoulders like I have a sprained or torn rotator cuff and then numbness down my arms and into my thumb and forefingers...it blows *kitten*...when it happened I totally flipped because I didn't know what was going on...just woke up numb and tingly...that was mid July of this year.

I (thankfully) can only imagine how that felt. I'd be scared s-less with those symptoms.
  • jmgia
    jmgia Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I squat all the time, but I still feel like I should be able to do more weight. I mix it up between back and front squats. Maybe I should pick one and stuck to it.
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    overhead deadlifts
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Squats. Forever squats. My 1rm is 115, compared to 110 for bench, and 200 for deadlift.

It bothered me for a long time that I had so much trouble with squats. Now I am really happy with how well I am doing with them. And yes, I do realize that my "how well" is many other people's "WTH?" weight. I've found that I am happier keeping back squats in my program as a personal challenge to keep upping the weight but focusing on other exercises as physique builders.
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    BENCH by a mile. PR is 265x1. Injured RC 6mo ago. Bench dropped. Currently working back up. 165x9. Should be back in PR territory within 8wks.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    OHP... Fractionals are definitely being used.

Also, my squats. My hip and ankle mobility suck... Also, my knees feel tight.... need to find ways to improve on these.

My best are deads and benches.