'Gentle' September Step Support

Options
Wysewoman53
Wysewoman53 Posts: 582 Member
edited August 2016 in Challenges
I have been on two different step challenges that have both been 10,000 steps challenges. Everyone starts out all gung-ho...got a gazillion steps in today or this week...and then, they are gone! I don't know if members just lost interest or the 10,000 steps were just too much for someone just starting something like this.

What I would like to start is something more realistic for people who work in offices or are just starting out as far as walking is concerned.

There would be no limit...top or bottom...just recording steps taken in a day. The goal would be your own and, I think, would be a little easier to maintain if the only person in competition with you would be YOU. This would just be a place to record what a person is doing and maybe help with motivation to keep moving forward.

How this would work is for each person to record how many steps taken in a day...or a week...or how ever you would want to do this. Record it even if you only took 100 steps or 30,000 or anywhere in between. With this gentle challenge, there would be no failure, no judgement. As I said, the goal is your own. Summer is pretty much here so we are probably going to be outside more, walking more, just plain doing more and this challenge would just be a little incentive to keep us all moving.

Anyone want in? I will be here all month.

For those of you who are new to this walking thing, please don't let the amount of steps I and some others take in a day be daunting. I really meant what I said about this not being a competition!

Some things you might want to know about me. I am 63, a wife, a mother and a grandmother, if I have to be labeled as something other than a woman or human being. In 1988, we were in a pretty horrible motorcycle accident during which my husband broke his leg in 5 places from his hip to his knee and each break was shattered. I walked away with a little road rash and pretty much unscathed...or so we thought. He had surgery and everything worked out okay for him and he has no problems associated with that accident to this day. I, on the other hand, had more problems than we realized at the time.

About 2000-2001, I started having a little pain in my hip and started walking with a slight limp to accommodate for that pain and kept on truckin'. The limp was getting worse but when I could no longer lift my leg up or bend over to tie my own shoes, I went to the doctor. I was told that because of the accident, I was developing arthritis and nothing could be done about it...my first round of pain pills began. It's just what happens as we get 'older', he said. SMH!

This went on for years and I kept going back to doctor after doctor because even tho' I was no expert, I had a feeling this was more than arthritis but what did I know? I wasn't a doctor after all. More rounds of pain pills AND now Celebrex was added to the mix. It wasn't helping. During one of these 'visits', one of the doctors 'prescribed' a cane to help me walk. So, here I am, barely able to walk at all even with a cane and just getting out the front door to my car in the driveway was pretty much a miracle for me because my hip and back hurt so much (even with pain killers!), I pretty much gave up walking at all unless absolutely necessary. I walked with that cane for almost a decade!

As mentioned, I had been going to doctors for years and finally I just got mad...I mean really angry!! Getting dressed by myself had become so painful and hard, I was starting to need help with all aspects of it. I have a very loving, supportive husband who would do anything for me but he wasn't the problem...my inability to do anything on my own was the problem. So, I was angry after one more doctor tried to give me more pills to compensate for the pain I was feeling when I knew it wouldn't do any more good just as all the others had done no good. She seemed as tho' I was old anyway and with age comes aches and pains...something I would just have to learn to deal with as part of the aging process. I told her all I had ever wanted was an x-ray to see what was wrong inside and not one doctor would order one for me all these years. Smug as ever, she said "Fine. Let's check your range of motion in that leg" and I know she was trying to prove to me I couldn't possibly know more about my own body than a DOCTOR! Lo and behold! I had no range of motion and she immediately ordered an x-ray. Come to find out, my hip had deteriorated to the point of having almost no bone left! The miracle was that I was able to walk at all!

In October of 2014, I was blessed with a hip replacement. Normally, someone as 'young' as I was...see that stupid age thing again...would not be eligible because 'they' like to wait until someone is in his/her 70's before doing that but my hip was so far gone, my quality of life was effected so I qualified. It took me 14 months after the replacement to start walking again. Not because I couldn't but because I was so used to not walking, I didn't even know how to start. I still relied on my cane because now I was terrified I would fall and break my hip! All kinds of crazy scenarios would play out in my head as my anxiety got worse and worse. Basically, I was like a toddler, learning to walk all over again.

For Christmas, 2015, I got the activity tracker I had asked for from my wonderful husband and realized I was walking less than 1000 steps a day. I wasn't working anymore because I didn't feel like I could walk well enough to keep up with what was necessary for my job after this miracle operation...all mental-ality stuff only in my own head! I quit using my cane and started walking back and forth in my living room...a 'lap' consists of 14 steps but I was walking. I was ecstatic when I finally hit the 3,000 mark...for an entire day! It was not easy by any means but I just kept walking.

Now, I walk more than that first 3,000 step goal but I want all to know, I understand how hard it really is to get steps in everyday. I can really empathize with the struggles each and every person has with motivation and support to get up and moving...Hence, this 'Gentle' challenge. Some of us will take a whole bunch of steps in a day, some of us will take fewer steps a day but just remember, every step each one of us takes is a Victory!

Replies

• Wysewoman53
    Options
    Posted this a little early because I will be out of town on Sept. 1st and wanted it to be up for those already participating and those who would like to join ~ Stephanie
  • Kari_Bear78
    Kari_Bear78 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Sept 1st

10,764 steps
    6.89 km
  • ptstavo113
    ptstavo113 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    9/1. 14989. 5.1mi. 8284 aerobic steps :)
    Good day. Got a lot done.
  • blueflamingomfp
    Options
    1 Sept 8'965 steps. Higher than average because of the dance class
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    1 September

6,530 steps - 2.63 miles
  • cathydubepenner
    cathydubepenner Posts: 159 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    September 1.......... 8450 steps/3.2 miles
  • Wysewoman53
    Options
    Welcome, @blueflamingomfp !

September 1st

9,411steps
    3.7 miles
  • Kari_Bear78
    Options
    Sept 2nd

9397 steps
    6.02 km
  • ptstavo113
    ptstavo113 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    9/2. 15704. 5.4mi. 9923 aerobic
    9/1. 14989. 5.1mi. 8284 aerobic steps
  • spikeyhair
    Options
    2 September

13,421 steps - 5.56 miles
  • LukeJayCT
    LukeJayCT Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Sept 1st 14,740!! Which is great for me. I had a chance to take my clients out for a hike and it was awesome. Today is my day to relax and study so I'm aiming for 6,000.
    I'd like to average 10,000 steps without getting upset and demotivated on the days I fall short. I have a tendendecy to fall short, feel bad, and then give up. Which probably explains why I never really make any progress on my fitness and weight loss goals.

This is a great thread. :)
  • ebonibabe1
    ebonibabe1 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Sept. 1: 6227 steps - 2.61 miles
    Sept. 2: 10,571 steps - 4.43 miles
  • typeitdaily
    typeitdaily Posts: 3,323 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    September 1: 8882 steps, 3.54 miles
    September 2: 4326 steps, 1.75 miles
    Seltember 3: 11,897 steps, 4.75 miles
  • Kari_Bear78
    Options
    Sept 3rd

11,876 steps
    7.62 km
  • ebonibabe1
    Options
    September 3rd:
    9722 steps
    4.07 miles
  • ebonibabe1
    Options
    LukeJayCT wrote: »
    Sept 1st 14,740!! Which is great for me. I had a chance to take my clients out for a hike and it was awesome. Today is my day to relax and study so I'm aiming for 6,000.
    I'd like to average 10,000 steps without getting upset and demotivated on the days I fall short. I have a tendendecy to fall short, feel bad, and then give up. Which probably explains why I never really make any progress on my fitness and weight loss goals.

This is a great thread. :)

Don't give up. Just keep stepping along like the rest of us. Some steps are better than no steps.
  • spikeyhair
    Options
    3 September

8,745 steps - 3.49 miles
  • typeitdaily
    typeitdaily Posts: 3,323 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    September 1: 8882 steps, 3.54 miles
    September 2: 4326 steps, 1.75 miles
    SeSeptember 3: 11,897 steps, 4.75 miles