General Q and A thread

Options
So I totally get that some people might be like "who the F are you and why do I care what you think?"

And I get it! I've seen threads like this totally backfire when someone new comes along and does this.

So with that said, go ahead and troll me if you'd like.

Or, feel free to drop any questions here and I'll take a crack at them since I'll be glued to my computer for a while.

Replies

• LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    Why are you glued to your computer for a while?
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    why are you starting another brainless thread?
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    LazSommer wrote: »

Skype consults with clients, program design, and I literally need to force myself to do program design in chunks or I start going bananas staring at sets and reps in a spreadsheet.
  • SideSteel
    Options
    abadvat wrote: »
    why are you starting another brainless thread?

These have worked out well in the past, but if that trend changes I'll likely stop.
  • LazSommer
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »

Skype consults with clients, program design, and I literally need to force myself to do program design in chunks or I start going bananas staring at sets and reps in a spreadsheet.

Do you mostly train others and focus on keeping what you have or do you still train for strength/aesthetics?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,044 Member
    Options
    Perfect. What happened to Sara?
  • SideSteel
    Options

Do you mostly train others and focus on keeping what you have or do you still train for strength/aesthetics?

I train primarily for performance in powerlifting. The main complication now is that I can't do a PL meet if I have clients at the same meet because I just can't focus and I'd rather coach them at the meet vs compete.

I've also had a number of random injuries.

But I still train for strength to the best of my ability.
  • tillerstouch
    tillerstouch Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Actual question:

End of spring i was benching reps of 185 (i could do about 1 set 5). This summer the gym i workout at didnt have benches (i hate p.f. lol). So i was dumbbell benching (typically 50 pound d.b. during the spring i was doing 60/65). This summer i was also doing a routine with a buddy once a week that was 50 pull ups, 100 push ups, 150 body squats.

So to my question. Yesterday i went to bench for the first time since spring and i was able to do 1 set of 5 at 195, after a dtrong set of 5 at 185. I was really surprised because i had been stalled at 185 for a month or more during the spring. Then after a long break from benching or doing heavy chest work i was able to lift 10 pounds more.

Thoughts on what may have caused the improvements? The push ups? Maybe during the spring i just didnt give my muscles enough recovery time? (Also ive been in a deficit all summer do i cant imagine i gained muscle).
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I had a DEXA done last week and the report was 36% bf for me. From my reading, it takes getting down to 20% bf to determine if you truly have permanently loose skin or not. So that would be 118 lbs for me, which is way lower than I want to be. Is there any point in going down that low if my ultimate goal is not to be 20% bf or 118 pounds? I feel like 23-25% is a good range and if I get down to 20% it would only be to say "yep, loose skin." Then I would try to add back some fat and that would just go straight to the loose stomach skin, right?
  • LazSommer
    Options

I train primarily for performance in powerlifting. The main complication now is that I can't do a PL meet if I have clients at the same meet because I just can't focus and I'd rather coach them at the meet vs compete.

What kinda surplus (if any) do you run to stay lean while progressing your lifts? Would you mind posting your stats?
  • SideSteel
    Options
    Actual question:

End of spring i was benching reps of 185 (i could do about 1 set 5). This summer the gym i workout at didnt have benches (i hate p.f. lol). So i was dumbbell benching (typically 50 pound d.b. during the spring i was doing 60/65). This summer i was also doing a routine with a buddy once a week that was 50 pull ups, 100 push ups, 150 body squats.

So to my question. Yesterday i went to bench for the first time since spring and i was able to do 1 set of 5 at 195, after a dtrong set of 5 at 185. I was really surprised because i had been stalled at 185 for a month or more during the spring. Then after a long break from benching or doing heavy chest work i was able to lift 10 pounds more.

Thoughts on what may have caused the improvements? The push ups? Maybe during the spring i just didnt give my muscles enough recovery time? (Also ive been in a deficit all summer do i cant imagine i gained muscle).

Great question and also interesting.

So there's a number of factors involved in strength production and while I wouldn't be able to go as deep into the topic as some other folks, I am comfortable generalizing it into a few categories -- there's rate coding which is basically the firing rate of neural impulses, there's actual muscle size (hypertrophy) and then there's also technical proficiency (for example a minor change in position can effect performance even though technically that's not strength).

If I had to guess the short answer is that the DB benching (and to a lesser extent, pushups) influenced the above factors enough to cause an improvement to bench.

It's also POSSIBLE that some amount of hypertrophy occurred even during a deficit, but I can't say that with any certainty. I just wouldn't rule it out unless you're a) advanced and b) shredded.
  • SideSteel
    Options

What kinda surplus (if any) do you run to stay lean while progressing your lifts? Would you mind posting your stats?

I actually do not track intake at all. I monitor my body-weight and I use behavioral adjustments to put myself in a deficit or surplus.

I'm 39 years old, 5'11 and 190lbs currently. I typically compete at 190 which is right between two weight classes and so usually I don't manipulate bodyweight before a competition, however last meet I did I went down to 179 to try it out.

I'm not sure if you want lifting stats but my best in competition are:

457 squat
    303 bench
    457 deadlift

1200 total (the above bests were not all done at the same meet which is why the total is different).

The squat was at 179 but it was a 24h weigh in and so that number is artificially low. Bench/Dead were around 190 BW.

• LazSommer
    Options

I actually do not track intake at all. I monitor my body-weight and I use behavioral adjustments to put myself in a deficit or surplus.

I'm 39 years old, 5'11 and 190lbs currently. I typically compete at 190 which is right between two weight classes and so usually I don't manipulate bodyweight before a competition, however last meet I did I went down to 179 to try it out.

457 squat
    303 bench
    457 deadlift

1200 total (the above bests were not all done at the same meet which is why the total is different).

The squat was at 179 but it was a 24h weigh in and so that number is artificially low. Bench/Dead were around 190 BW.

Nice. What kind of programming have you played around with for your more intermediate clients for strength? Do you mostly coach them on more conventional programs or is it more efficient to determine their programming needs individually? I'm assuming you do the latter for yourself with your lifts vs bodyweight.
  • SideSteel
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    I had a DEXA done last week and the report was 36% bf for me. From my reading, it takes getting down to 20% bf to determine if you truly have permanently loose skin or not. So that would be 118 lbs for me, which is way lower than I want to be. Is there any point in going down that low if my ultimate goal is not to be 20% bf or 118 pounds? I feel like 23-25% is a good range and if I get down to 20% it would only be to say "yep, loose skin." Then I would try to add back some fat and that would just go straight to the loose stomach skin, right?

I can't speak to the loose skin part since I haven't looked into it.

But based on the rest of what you are saying, I would say the following things:

1) Most people under-estimate how much they think they should lose in order to get their body to a place they think they'll be satisfied with.

And honestly, I think it's a combination of simply underestimating how much fat they really have, and in some cases simply not being happy regardless of what they see in the mirror. I'm not suggesting this is the case with everyone, to be clear. It's just that many people have body acceptance issues and when those issues are present I don't think any amount of leanness is going to change that person's self acceptance.

2) More importantly for YOU, I would say that you should diet until you are either very happy with the results, or until the things you need to do in order to maintain the diet are no longer worth the outcome. I see this happen occasionally with a few of my clients and former clients. They are at a healthy weight and pursuing leanness for aesthetic reasons, and that's fine, but if the work required to get the result becomes disruptive to your quality of life then I would highly question it.

So I rambled there, but I would see how you feel about your body and about your diet and let those factors tell you when it's time to stop. Don't let it be about an arbitrary % or about loose skin.
  • SideSteel
    Options
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    Dear Side Steel, what is the population of Sofia, Bulgaria? Thanks.

This reminds me of a scene in the movie Airplane.

"What's the fastest land animal?"

- The cheetah
  • tillerstouch
    tillerstouch Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Actual question:

Great question and also interesting.

So there's a number of factors involved in strength production and while I wouldn't be able to go as deep into the topic as some other folks, I am comfortable generalizing it into a few categories -- there's rate coding which is basically the firing rate of neural impulses, there's actual muscle size (hypertrophy) and then there's also technical proficiency (for example a minor change in position can effect performance even though technically that's not strength).

If I had to guess the short answer is that the DB benching (and to a lesser extent, pushups) influenced the above factors enough to cause an improvement to bench.

It's also POSSIBLE that some amount of hypertrophy occurred even during a deficit, but I can't say that with any certainty. I just wouldn't rule it out unless you're a) advanced and b) shredded.

I didnt think about technical proficiency. I think you may be onto something with that. Thanks for the rely, i appreciate the insight.
  • SideSteel
    Options

457 squat
    303 bench
    457 deadlift

Nice. What kind of programming have you played around with for your more intermediate clients for strength? Do you mostly coach them on more conventional programs or is it more efficient to determine their programming needs individually? I'm assuming you do the latter for yourself with your lifts vs bodyweight.

It's more efficient to use conventional programs if we define "efficient" as "less work for the coach", but I don't go that route because it feels wrong to me. I HAVE had clients who PREFER to run a conventional program and I'm totally fine with that as there are some really good ones out there depending on the individual and their goal.

I customize all programs individually for clients although there are definitely trends that I follow and so I may have a couple of clients on similar (certainly not identical) programs if they happen to have the same goals - main differences would be accessory movements, absolute loads, and volumes adjusted for their tolerance/recovery capacity.

I tend to favor daily undulating periodization with intermediate clients. For powerlifting clients I tend to favor some sort of block periodization model where early on we focus on volume accumulation and hypertrophy followed by an intensity block where volume goes down (reps per set decrease) and load goes up. Followed by a taper+deload into the competition.

For clients who do not compete in powerlifting but want to build strength I tend to use a similar model but I would modify how the intensity block goes because some people don't want to test 1rms -- they might want to use an AMRAP at 90% or something similar. I also may opt for a linear model instead of a block model depending on absolute strength levels.