Help! How to deal with people trying to sabotage your weightloss journey

Options
13»

Replies

• nickisa28
    nickisa28 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I agree that you should just buy your own foods. Also ignore his stupid comments! My husband isn't the most supportive of my weight loss. He kept buying junk food for the house or trying to get me to eat out at unhealthy places. After weeks of not touching the junk food and me keep saying no, he saw I was serious and wasn't going to be derailed so stopped. He's now decided to join me :) stick guns and see it as a challenge that you CAN overcome X
  • Juliapadg
    Juliapadg Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    He's been happy with the way things were and he doesn't like change. Lots of people don't like change, but in your case, it's necessary. He doesn't have to change his diet. Everyone who has said you shop for your own food is right. You can budget for dish detergent and toilet paper, and do that together, but otherwise you do your own thing. Tell him like this, "I have to make these changes, but I would never want to try to force you to do what I want, so in the future we are going to need to shop separately. This is nothing against our friendship and nothing against you. It's simple logistics."
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    When I lived with roommates I shopped for my own food for the most part and they shopped for their own food...EZPZ
  • tksmith82
    tksmith82 Posts: 1 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    He doesn't sound like a very good friend, I must say. In this case you've really got to "do you" as they say. Buy your own food and take care of yourself as *you* said. I personally would also consider stepping back from a friendship with this person, because for some reason he's very invested in you staying the same - but you don't have an obligation to do this in any way, I don't just mean eating or weight or exercise. Perhaps secretly he would like to make some changes and hasn't been and is angry because you are. Or maybe he sees these changes in you as a rejection of your life and therefore him? Anyway, this is about you and your health. Good luck and forge ahead.
  • toe1226
    toe1226 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    it sounds like not only should you * definitely * be doing your own grocery shopping, but also, maybe it is time to set some boundaries with this friend/housemate of yours. Setting those boundaries may empower you even more to take charge of your own health!