Diet Soda and Weight Loss

Options

Replies

• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    red99ryder wrote: »
    I always liked the joke .. Have you ever seen a skinny person drinking a diet coke lol.

I drink regular when I do have them

Good luck

I know lots actually.
  • steph7007
    steph7007 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    steph7007 wrote: »
    I just worry about overall kidney health. I'm a person with one kidney and I remember my doctor telling me if I were to drink a soda make it a real one. Seriously if you are working so hard to look good on the outside..... learn what can damage your insides. Diet soda is not good for you one bit. Yeah it has no calories, however, do you find that weird at all based on the colour and taste of your drink? Chemicals are rank......

Why would the color and taste make it weird?

Why would you drink something that got its colour from chemicals?
  • steph7007
    Options
    Aaron _k123

Thank you for your opinion but are you a doctor? Um, no is my guess. Or do you specialize in kidney health? Um no is my guess. Or do you read stuff on the Web and take it as gospel? Yes, would be my guess.

My kidney health is fantastic. Just sayin...maybe cause I drink water... lol.... I don't know...

Have you tested your kidneys? Probably not...

What I wrote was for people to read and think about. But thank you for your response.

Well, he's not an md but he has a pH.d

PH.D in what? Lol.... this is so funny. Lol.. do what you want... but thank you again for your opinion
  • DeficitDuchess
    DeficitDuchess Posts: 3,099 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    Aspartame causes me to have headaches & it increases my appetite.

Okay. Well avoid it then. Are you advising the OP they should also avoid it because it causes you headaches and increases your appetite?

Only if they're experiencing anything similar. I didn't make the connection myself, until I was trying to figure how to reduce my grocery expenditure & as I was going through previous month's receipts, I noticed that after I bought diet soda, I was spending more on both food & Advil, than my average amount before.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Aaron _k123

Thank you for your opinion but are you a doctor? Um, no is my guess. Or do you specialize in kidney health? Um no is my guess. Or do you read stuff on the Web and take it as gospel? Yes, would be my guess.

My kidney health is fantastic. Just sayin...maybe cause I drink water... lol.... I don't know...

What I wrote was for people to read and think about. But thank you for your response.

PH.D in what? Lol.... this is so funny. Lol.. do what you want... but thank you again for your opinion

He's a biochemist and molecular biologist...he's legit...you obviously haven't been around here too long.
  • steph7007
    Options
    Aaron _k123

Yes...i am Dr. Aaron K, I just don't flaunt that around because I can explain myself without pointing to my degree. I don't specialize in kidney health I'm a biochemist and molecular biologist so I know more about the metabolic breakdown products of molecules and what affects they have on our bodies.

Aspartame breaks down into aspartate, phenylalanine and methanol within our stomachs and intenstines before it crosses into our blood. Those molecules are also found in chicken (aspartate and phenylalanine are amino acids found in any protein) and in orange juice (methanol is present in any fermentable solution). In fact chicken and orange juice have considerably more phenylalanine, aspartate and methanol than would be found in even liters of diet cola. So if aspartame is hurting your kidneys then orange juice and chicken would be utterly laying waste to them. It is for that reason I am fairly confident aspartame does not cause kidney damage.

I have had physicals yes, I have no kidney issues.

OK, and you should flaunt that degree cause that *kitten* is $$$$. JuSt sayin.

Thank you for your opinion. Then please tell me why when someone has significant damage to their kidney they are told only to drink water for a year plus until they rebuild themselves. Wouldn't you also agree that our bodies tend to bioaccumulate things if we don't flush them with water? So in theory even if this chemical that you defend causes no cancer.... Wouldn't you say to maintain overall Kidney Health you should drink regular water and flush your body?
  • steph7007
    Options
    Aaron _k123

Molecular biology and biochemistry so yeah he's an expert. What's your training?

You defend him so bold.... lol.... look this was just a talk... not meant to offend anyone. Sorry you can't talk.... without slamming someone. Seriously think... I get it... he is smart and you should listen to him.... however, have your own opinion and learn to see if he really is right...... Dr. Aaron no offense.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    NEOHgirl wrote: »
    Yes, everyone, I am aware that EVERYTHING is made of chemicals - my apologies for using the word in more colloquial way. Let me clarify - my personal preference is to eat and drink things that occur in nature, not developed in a lab. I gave up artificial sweeteners years ago and I don't miss them. Do your research, mind your sources, and make whatever informed decision you feel is best.

Do your research? Yes please, explain to me how I should do my research because I don't agree with you that aspartame is dangerous.

By the way aspartame is just a dipeptide of two amino acids, phenylalanine and aspartate, with the phenylalanines carboxy terminus methylated. What was that about nature again?
    Whoever flagged this is afraid of actual information.
    Holy moly.

• singingflutelady
    Options
    Same as protein. Kidney patients also cut back on that too.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Aaron _k123

Do you know Aaron? Nope.
    Are you judgmental. Yes.

• steph7007
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Aaron _k123

Yes...i am Dr. Aaron K, I just don't flaunt that around because I can explain myself without pointing to my degree. I don't specialize in kidney health I'm a biochemist and molecular biologist so I know more about the metabolic breakdown products of molecules and what affects they have on our bodies.

Aspartame breaks down into aspartate, phenylalanine and methanol within our stomachs and intenstines before it crosses into our blood. Those molecules are also found in chicken (aspartate and phenylalanine are amino acids found in any protein) and in orange juice (methanol is present in any fermentable solution). In fact chicken and orange juice have considerably more phenylalanine, aspartate and methanol than would be found in even liters of diet cola. So if aspartame is hurting your kidneys then orange juice and chicken would be utterly laying waste to them. It is for that reason I am fairly confident aspartame does not cause kidney damage.

Thank you for your opinion. Then please tell me why when someone has significant damage to their kidney they are told only to drink water for a year plus until they rebuild themselves. Wouldn't you also agree that our bodies tend to bioaccumulate things if we don't flush them with water? So in theory even if this chemical that you defend causes no cancer.... Wouldn't you say to maintain overall Kidney Health you should drink regular water and flush your body?

People who have kidney damage are also told to avoid certain fruits and vegetables as to keep potassium levels down...does that mean that these fruits and vegetables shouldn't be consumed by an otherwise healthy individual? Of course not...

Yes you should avoid certain foods no matter what for good health. Agreed. Look, I'm just making a point if water is better for you and you work your *kitten* off to look good.... why not do the same for your insides.... just sayin... I think the labour day weekend of grub is making people cranky.... geez...

The are medical facts that contradict diet soda. But like life it's a choose your own adventure.
  • steph7007
    Options
    Same as protein. Kidney patients also cut back on that too.

You should also watch your proteins as someone with healthy kidneys..... you should read why.... lol
  • singingflutelady
    Options
    Actually aspartame is very safe. There are no human studies that show otherwise.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Life's too short not to have fun. Drink and be merry!! Even if it's diet soda or beer or hot dogs or cheesecake or CheesePuffs or Twinkies.
  • ElkeKNJ
    ElkeKNJ Posts: 207 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Aaron _k123

People who have kidney damage are also told to avoid certain fruits and vegetables as to keep potassium levels down...does that mean that these fruits and vegetables shouldn't be consumed by an otherwise healthy individual? Of course not...

Yes you should avoid certain foods no matter what for good health. Agreed. Look, I'm just making a point if water is better for you and you work your *kitten* off to look good.... why not do the same for your insides.... just sayin... I think the labour day weekend of grub is making people cranky.... geez...

The are medical facts that contradict diet soda. But like life it's a choose your own adventure.

What ya trying to say.. actually?

This is the way I see it of course a person with kidney disease is gonna have to be on a special diet structure.

An otherwise healthy person, only needs a balanced diet and perhaps adding in exercise if they choose, that is all that is needed for general health including the kidneys.

But what you described above was "flushing kidneys" etc.. as in some sort of cleanses are need.. Its not.