Diet Soda and Weight Loss

Options

Replies

• PinkSuede
    PinkSuede Posts: 49 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I personally think it might vary from person to person. For me, drinking artificial sweeteners like those do spike my blood sugar levels. Not insane numbers but the spike is there.

A couple years back my BFF who is Type I diabetic tried to convince me to drop splenda, aspartame and stevia in favor of xylitol or erythritol insisting that splenda, aspartame and stevia all cause a higher jump in sugar levels. I thought he was full of it but we were both doing a Vega shake fast so I agreed to test it out while I was staying with him that week. Every morning when I woke up I took my waking blood sugar. I then drank 1 8 oz glass of homemade lemonade from the same batch made on day 1. Every day I used a different sweetener in it. I then logged my blood sugar levels 20 minutes after drinking it and again 2 hours after drinking it before I had my first shake. It's been a few years now so I don't remember the actual readings but he was right. Splenda, aspartame, stevia and even erythritol all caused an increase in my blood sugar levels. Splenda and aspartame gave me the largest spikes. I do recall that. What shocked me the most was my blood sugars dropped after drinking the lemonade with xylitol.

Of course this wasn't done by a lab but my diet was very steady and I'm confident that the sweeteners played the largest role in the blood sugar spikes I got. A few months later I tried to get my BF off the soda and did the same experiment with him, similar results but he didnt care lol. It was eye opening for me and it made sense since I already knew on days I drank diet soda I tended to have a larger appetite and eat more food. For that reason I generally avoid the diet sweeteners completely now. I treat them as a treat. Not something I have every day. I think it helps me keep cravings and appetite under control.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    amber4625 wrote: »
    Think about what aspartame can do... Emotional Disorders... Cancer in the brain... Diabetes.... Epilepsy/Seizures.

Said "CAN" not "WILL" and I apologize to anyone who felt the need to attack me or my opinion. It sounds like you are all experts and I'm an idiot, don't worry, I won't ever post here again.

Actually, at least one poster here is an expert on it.

And, since you said to think about what water can do? It can kill you. It's more likely to kill you than aspartame is to cause any of what you think it can.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    That was a quick flounce.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    youtube crap

And now an example of an ACTUAL source:

http://seriecientifica.org/sites/default/files/scl_enc_butchko.pdf
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    PinkSuede wrote: »
    I personally think it might vary from person to person. For me, drinking artificial sweeteners like those do spike my blood sugar levels. Not insane numbers but the spike is there.

A couple years back my BFF who is Type I diabetic tried to convince me to drop splenda, aspartame and stevia in favor of xylitol or erythritol insisting that splenda, aspartame and stevia all cause a higher jump in sugar levels. I thought he was full of it but we were both doing a Vega shake fast so I agreed to test it out while I was staying with him that week. Every morning when I woke up I took my waking blood sugar. I then drank 1 8 oz glass of homemade lemonade from the same batch made on day 1. Every day I used a different sweetener in it. I then logged my blood sugar levels 20 minutes after drinking it and again 2 hours after drinking it before I had my first shake. It's been a few years now so I don't remember the actual readings but he was right. Splenda, aspartame, stevia and even erythritol all caused an increase in my blood sugar levels. Splenda and aspartame gave me the largest spikes. I do recall that. What shocked me the most was my blood sugars dropped after drinking the lemonade with xylitol.

Of course this wasn't done by a lab but my diet was very steady and I'm confident that the sweeteners played the largest role in the blood sugar spikes I got. A few months later I tried to get my BF off the soda and did the same experiment with him, similar results but he didnt care lol. It was eye opening for me and it made sense since I already knew on days I drank diet soda I tended to have a larger appetite and eat more food. For that reason I generally avoid the diet sweeteners completely now. I treat them as a treat. Not something I have every day. I think it helps me keep cravings and appetite under control.

Did you do the necessary control of drinking the lemonade without any sweetener? Because I'm pretty sure injesting anything will spike your blood sugar momentarily, whether it is sweet or not.
  • aliblain
    aliblain Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    There was actually quite an interesting programme on the BBC here where they conducted an experiment, with admittedly small numbers but did point to saccharin causing increased blood glucose compared to stevia. There was also the suggestion that artificial sweeteners mess up gut flora. And there's been a massive interest recently in how our gut microbiome contributes to health and how it can be modulated by things like breastfeeding and diet. The field is somewhat in its infancy but interesting nonetheless.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/51yxBQyvqpNYPT3PF0LGL3G/are-artificial-sweeteners-bad-for-me
  • Aaron_K123
    Options

So your evidence is a youtube video?

Can you explain how a methylated dipeptide causes that because that doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

In the meantime here is a metanalysis of aspartame from Critical Reviews of Toxicology:

http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/10408440701516184
  • PinkSuede
    PinkSuede Posts: 49 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    PinkSuede wrote: »

Did you do the necessary control of drinking the lemonade without any sweetener? Because I'm pretty sure injesting anything will spike your blood sugar momentarily, whether it is sweet or not.

Yes. The batch of lemonade I made for the "experiment" on day 1 (that I used for the remainder of the days) I drank with no sweetener. The unsweetened lemon water had very little effect on my blood sugar level. I noticed a very minor spike at 20 mine out and by 2 hours out I was back to my waking blood sugar. With all the sweeteners except xylitol I still had higher blood sugar levels 2 hours out. Granted they were nothing compared to what sugar sweetened lemonade caused (I didn't try sugar the first time but did when I did the second experiment with my bf cause he drinks a ton of sugar and I wanted him to see the difference) but the elevated levels were still evident. For the record I am pre-diabetic so that may have played a large role in my results.
  • Aaron_K123
    edited September 2016
    Options
    aliblain wrote: »
    There was actually quite an interesting programme on the BBC here where they conducted an experiment, with admittedly small numbers but did point to saccharin causing increased blood glucose compared to stevia. There was also the suggestion that artificial sweeteners mess up gut flora. And there's been a massive interest recently in how our gut microbiome contributes to health and how it can be modulated by things like breastfeeding and diet. The field is somewhat in its infancy but interesting nonetheless.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/51yxBQyvqpNYPT3PF0LGL3G/are-artificial-sweeteners-bad-for-me

To be honest microbiomes have been picked up by the public kind of like quantum physics was about 15 years ago. Public hears of a concept that has actually been around for 50 years. Public runs with it as possible explanations for X,Y,Z because "we don't know enough therefore this might be an explanation". News agencies pick up on that public interest and run stories that are entirely speculative saying "might be so" basically and get readership.

Not knowing something about X is not a reason to apply it as an explanation for Y and that is what is going on here. We don't know enough about microbiomes therefore this thing I think causes this other thing might cause it by affecting the microbiome.

Crystal power and other woo flocked to quantum physics in much the same way. It was wierd and hard to understand and therefore became the place to put their ideas that science had thusfar not validated. Now, with biology, suddenly a lot of these claims of toxins and dangers associated with GMOs and Aspartame and Vaccines are hung on the microbiome in much the same way. So far no study conducted for toxicology has actually validated our claims but we don't know enough about the microbiome so I bet that is the cause. They want X to be the cause of Y and are actively looking for places where that causal link might be hiding. Its the opposite of what good scientific approach is and is pure bias.

Not saying articles like the one you posted aren't necessarily a good read, but these days when I see "microbiome" in the public sphere it just seems like hand-waving to try to put something science-sounding in place of saying "we don't know"
  • steph7007
    steph7007 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I just worry about overall kidney health. I'm a person with one kidney and I remember my doctor telling me if I were to drink a soda make it a real one. Seriously if you are working so hard to look good on the outside..... learn what can damage your insides. Diet soda is not good for you one bit. Yeah it has no calories, however, do you find that weird at all based on the colour and taste of your drink? Chemicals are rank......
  • DeficitDuchess
    DeficitDuchess Posts: 3,099 Member
    Options
    Aspartame causes me to have headaches & it increases my appetite.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    steph7007 wrote: »
    I just worry about overall kidney health. I'm a person with one kidney and I remember my doctor telling me if I were to drink a soda make it a real one. Seriously if you are working so hard to look good on the outside..... learn what can damage your insides. Diet soda is not good for you one bit. Yeah it has no calories, however, do you find that weird at all based on the colour and taste of your drink? Chemicals are rank......

Why would the color and taste make it weird?
  • steph7007
    steph7007 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Aaron _k123

Thank you for your opinion but are you a doctor? Um, no is my guess. Or do you specialize in kidney health? Um no is my guess. Or do you read stuff on the Web and take it as gospel? Yes, would be my guess.

My kidney health is fantastic. Just sayin...maybe cause I drink water... lol.... I don't know...

Have you tested your kidneys? Probably not...

What I wrote was for people to read and think about. But thank you for your response.
  • Aaron_K123
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Aspartame causes me to have headaches & it increases my appetite.

Okay. Well avoid it then. Are you advising the OP they should also avoid it because it causes you headaches and increases your appetite?