September 2016 Biking Cycling Bicycling Challenge

Options

Replies

• lapierrecyclist
    lapierrecyclist Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I'm in. Building up my distance before I tackle hills again. For September: 12 miles yesterday, 12 miles today, on my favorite paved trail. I love my bike!
  • Derek_McC
    Derek_McC Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Goal is 310 miles for September. Some friends from work and I are planning a century for November 5th. It is supposed to be a 1-way with us staging a vehicle prior to bring us all back.
  • bikerbill74
    bikerbill74 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hoping for 600+ in September. Beautiful day for a ride today in MN and got in 63 miles. Wife and I are prepping for a bike tour of civil war battlefields in PA and MD.
  • Sp8zmanSpiff
    Sp8zmanSpiff Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Hi, New to the challenge. Does stationary count? I ride the stationary recumbent at home in the morning for resistance training warm-up. I ride my road bike at work during lunch (long lunches sometimes) around Healdsburg, CA.
    9/1 = 24.5 miles on Geyserville loop, counter-clockwise, with hill repeat up canyon the easy way.
    9/2 = 13.3 miles on West Dry Creek loop, clockwise, 37.8 total.
  • smyle5
    smyle5 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    9/2 26.4 miles

26.4/250
  • Missnu13
    Missnu13 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Joining in for 250 this Month. Roadbike. Nice challenge!!
  • mullaneywt
    mullaneywt Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    But but but???/ There's nothing in this post about making *kitten* up regarding the person above you!!?!?!?!

My commute is from my bed to the desk in the next room over, with occasional detours via the bathroom or kitchen, so cycling for me is exercise/recreation/stress relief.

1 - 15mi
    2 - 34.9mi

Monthly total so far: 49.9mi
  • mullaneywt
    Options
    GammaTuna wrote: »
    You are all very inspiring. The old saying goes "Its like riding a bike - you never forget". I have just taken cycling up again and its been about 45 years since I did any seriously, and probably 10 years since I did any riding at all. Im not ashamed to say my spangly new bike is a peddle assist bike but there are a lot of hills around me and I would never manage it without. That said it is still a great workout. I am only managing around 7 to 10 km per day....we all have to start somewhere and my challenging part is cornering because Ive done a lot of skiing and learning to lean in to the turns and not out is difficult. Courage.

Awesome work, welcome back to the sport, and keep with the skiing as well!
  • mullaneywt
    Options
    2run2ski wrote: »
    Happy to find this thread! I don't have a road bike -- just a mountain bike, though! The miles come a little harder for me. My goal is 250 this month. May the light and the weather be amenable! :)

You may be able to swap fat knobby tires for thinner slicks without much of a cost, assuming you want to mostly road cycle.

I have a hybrid and can go from slick 28c's to knobby 45's (I did build a second set of wheels to make it a bit easier though, but that's not required if you practice tire changes.

My 2c.

• suznhenz
    suznhenz Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I've got a recumbent trike and want to do at least 250 miles this month. So far, nothing this month- we are dealing with the effects of Hurricane Hermine (had about 6" of water in our lower floor yesterday), and it's still raining and raining and raining. However, as soon as we have a drier day, I will be out dealing with the puddles and pedaling for 10 - 18 miles most days.
  • Missnu13
    Missnu13 Posts: 65 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Day 1. 25 miles Fin..

25/250
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    First ride for September.
    45.5 miles @ 16.1mph. Mostly quite a relaxed ride but did try a bit harder than usual on the hills (my weak point). Which is why I got 20 Strava PRs with a slow overall average speed.

Usually I ride solo but did this ride with a really good hill climber, hence trying harder on the hills.
    I'm 168lbs and she's a petite 126lbs and I got a great lesson on the importance of power to weight ratio.
    (In other words she made me look right a right old plodder!)
  • johnnylloyd0618
    johnnylloyd0618 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Sep 1st 13.98 mi Road Cycling 50:37 747 kCal 16.6 mi/h mi/h (thanks Hurricane Hermine, crappy weather to ride in)
    3rd 40.04 mi Road Cycling 2:14:28 2,220 kCal 17.9 mi/h mi/h
  • PhilHarrison1
    PhilHarrison1 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to do miles or time because I use the Bike for HIIT. So I'll make it at least 3 HIIT sessions a week for September. Sort of like the "Some days it is hard to find motivation. Some days motivation finds you." poster with the bear chasing the biker rider.
  • cpanus
    cpanus Posts: 19,333 Member
    Options
    I'm in for 200 this month.

09/03 - 16.00 miles

Chris
  • stuhldreier
    stuhldreier Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

On MFP for a while but not much of a forum person, but think I might enjoy this thread, so I join in if you don't mind. I had some time out and am just rediscovering my love for cycling. I've got 4 bikes: my carbon road bike, a 29er MTB, a hybrid / commuter and a Pashley (English traditional handmade 20kg steel bike!). I also do RPM / Spin classes.

I did 183 miles / 294 km in August, which was my first month back in the saddle. This was a mix of road rides, mountain bike rides (trail & track) and spin classes.

I'd like to see if I can get to 300 miles in September. I've used a cadence metre in RPM/Spin and on average it turns out to be about 20 miles per 50 min class. Rather than take my cadence metre with me each time I just log a class as 20 miles. The rest will be outdoor rides.

So far in September:

1.9.16 - RPM class - 20 miles
    2.9.16 - Road Ride - 21 miles
    3.9.16 - RPM class - 20 miles

• _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    I'm in again! I want to do more than 200km again this month. Might be slightly harder than last month, since I'll be travelling for work next week (so no commutes), but at least I already got one ride on the first day of the month to get started :)

Thu, 01/09/2016 22.2km
  • BeckyCMcClinton
    BeckyCMcClinton Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    9/1 - 6.51
    9/2 - 7.06

June 25- 30, 28.48 Miles (No Goal)
    July 124.10/120 miles
    August 130.46 /120 miles
    September 13.57/130 miles

YTD:331.54 miles
  • smyle5