Dropping a lot of weight in a healthy amount of time

Options

Replies

• DennysWifeMrsMattox
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    People that judge you now will always find flaws with something else. Do not give power to this this negative energy. This is negative noise that is something you should not have time for in your life.

I am unclear why a first years baby pictures are so important. If you ever think your child is gonna care about pictures you are wrong. Also, why wasn't this weight important 6 months ago, or even months after giving birth to your child?

800 calories is not enough to give you the nutrition you need for staying strong both mentally and psychically. There are not just psychical strengths or weakness that occur, you will not have enough nutrition to make wise decisions, which may be going on right now, because this decision is not a wise one.

I would choose strong and healthy over vanity for my child 1000% of the time. I would lose weight for my child and my family in a healthy manner, they need you to be strong and healthy as much of the 100% of time as you can give.

You titled your OP incorrectly.. It says "Dropping a lot of weight in a healthy amount of time". First a lot of weight, and healthy amount of time are what I call double standards, can't have both in this scenario.

We have all put our best advice out there for you, and it is up to you to take it or leave it. For the benefit of your child (and I am taking you out this equation), your child needs you and needs you to be strong, emotionally, psychically and mentally. This is the one thing I never want a mother to forget over anything else in life.

I agree. I posted what I had in my diet previously on this last Sunday which was a normal intake for me and I think it was around 4k or 5k calories a day. I need to really take a step back and up my calories to a health level.
  • DennysWifeMrsMattox
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Why do you think it is just water? Most of the time, assuming you're at a reasonable deficit, you're losing a combination of water, fat, and muscle.

I think it's just water weight because I google more than anyone ever should. When I do anything in life, I love to learn all about it, examine why I do it, and then give it 300% focus. I'm at about 800-1200 calories a day, and burn anywhere from 200 - 600 calories a day.

so you are eating 800-1200 calories and burning 200-600 so netting about 600 maybe more depending on burn. yeah not good unless you are eating exercise calories back and netting 1200

Ya, but what is the downside to it? I can't find anything about how it'll hurt me by what I'm doing. Not eating them back, but I'm not hungry, and I'm still feeling good.

Research indicates that our bodies are able to metabolize just a bit over 30 calories per pound of body fat per day, tops. If we create a crazy-high calorie deficit and try to lose more, one of a couple of things (or both) can happen (besides the hair loss, etc., mentioned above).

One is that our bodies will find another way to get energy to keep running, when it can't squeeze out more from our fat stores. In other words, we'll start burning lean body mass, like muscles (heart's a muscle, too).

The other is "adaptive thermogenesis". This means that our bodies will slow down functions that are not vital for keeping us alive. This may mean that we simply move less in our non-exercise moments, but it may also be a slowdown in desirable body processes that are not strictly mandatory (digestion, etc.). You may or may not perceive this as fatigue, etc.

The long run result of adaptive thermogenesis is that we require fewer calories just to be alive, and research suggests that this effect can persist long after the calorie deficit is over.

You may've read the (kind of poorly thought out) articles a while back about how some of the "Biggest Loser" contestants, in order to maintain their weight loss, now need to eat hundreds fewer calories each day than people of the same weight who never went through extreme weight loss.

You may be able to achieve that "half a pound a day" kind of calorie deficit in the short run . . . or maybe your body will turn out not to be one that actually can burn as many as 30ish calories from fat, per pound of fat, daily. Most of us who want to stay healthy & strong decide not to take that kind of risk. Staying healthy (avoiding effects like those described above) is why many advocate rules of thumb like "no more loss than 1% of body weight per week".

Please give your kids a model of healthy, sustainable eating & exercise, not a model of "adopt risky habits to look good in photos". If you keep working out, and lose weight at a reasonable pace, you'll look wonderful by mid-December: Healthy, slimmer, stronger, with a glowing complexion & visible energy. The photos will show it.

This is what I needed. Thank you so much! Ya I am planning on changing my calorie intake today
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    Glad to hear you took our words to heart :)
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    I am down 4 pounds (I'm counting from this moment, but I'll check on Monday) at the moment, but I am trying to drop 50 total by December 17th, 2016. I have about 105 days to get this done. I feel like I am losing water weight, and maybe not actual fat just yet.

Anyone have an amount of weight they lost and knew it was all water?

50 pounds in 15 weeks is unrealistic because that puts you at an average weight loss of 3.3 pounds per week.

Why the specific date for weight loss? What event has come up on calendar that makes this so important?

I suggest setting your goals up in MFP (or any other weight loss app) to lose 1 pound per week for the first 25 pounds, then a half pound for the last 25 pounds. Eat real food, log everything you consume, stay within your calorie deficit and you will lose some weight by December 17, but it will be in a slower and sustainable way.

• SLLRunner
    Options
    I dropped about 10 lbs in water weight last time I lost a significant amount of weight (total of 55lbs).

You might be able to get down 50 lbs by December, but you will be very hard pressed to do so. By the math, you will need to burn 175,000 calories. Divide that by the number of days until Dec 17 (98 days), you'd need to run a 1785 calorie deficit every day. Maybe you don't work and can run on the treadmill that much... but I know I couldn't. I went from 185 lbs to 133 lbs over the course of a year and a half... YMMV.

Maybe! HEHE. I work from home, and I work out 6 days a week, sometimes 2 times a day (I use to, and plan to when I drop 10-20 pounds and can run again). I only eat about 800 - 1200 calories a day and I'm satisfied. I don't feel run down, and I feel good going to bed and waking up. I am doing my best to just lose it as fast as I can. I am doing the 30 day shred work out from Jillian Michaels. It's 30 minutes and I work out real hard and I lift 10 pounds instead of the smaller weights. I do lunges and squats every 2-3 days, and I walk/jog around my neighborhood 4 times (1 mile per 4 times) when I have time. Am I in la la land with this?

This, along with the fact that you have to lose weight by a certain date, comes across as eating-disordered behavior. I suggest speaking with a therapist who specializes in eating disorders. You goals are really unrealistic.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    mitch16 wrote: »
    Why did you title this "Dropping a lot of weight in a healthy amount of time" if you don't plan on doing it in what is actually a healthy manner?

Because I'm looking to drop the weight the healthiest way in a healthy amount of time. I have a goal, and I'm just not sure how to accomplish it. I thought I was doing the right things, and apparently I'm not.

What you are doing is not healthy at all. You are doing harm to your body. Besides this, you will lose an awful lot of muscle mass with such quick weight loss
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    Ok guys! I slept on it and I'm going to up my calories. I'm going to eat a 200-250 before I work out in the morning. I'm going to eat 400-600 calories for lunch, throw a snack in before dinner and then eat a good balance with about 500 or a little more before 8pm and then just walk at night.

I also want to just drop 35 pounds from this point. So I'm 185, I want to be 150 and then evaluate what I want next, and no time limit. :) at 150 for my age and height, I'll have a normal bmi.

Btw everyone was right. I bite my poor husband's head off last night for no reason. I mean... I was a monster! I was rude and about had a panic attack over nothing. We never fight... Never really argue either. Something wasn't right. I didn't eat enough and it came out!

Good job on revising your calorie goals. :)
  • arose1122
    arose1122 Posts: 167 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    mitch16 wrote: »
    Why did you title this "Dropping a lot of weight in a healthy amount of time" if you don't plan on doing it in what is actually a healthy manner?

Because I'm looking to drop the weight the healthiest way in a healthy amount of time. I have a goal, and I'm just not sure how to accomplish it. I thought I was doing the right things, and apparently I'm not.

You can't lose that much weight in that little time in a healthy manner. You just can't.

You'd be seriously undereating. That's going to set you up for failure or malnutrition / hair loss / muscle loss.

What Are the Risks of Rapid Weight Loss?

Rapid weight loss creates physical demands on the body. Possible serious risks include:
    • Gallstones, which occur in 12% to 25% of people losing large amounts of weight over several months
    • Dehydration, which can be avoided by drinking plenty of fluids
    • Malnutrition, usually from not eating enough protein for weeks at a time
    • Electrolyte imbalances, which rarely can be life threatening

Other side effects of rapid weight loss include:
    • Headaches
    • Irritability
    • Fatigue
    • Dizziness
    • Constipation
    • Menstrual irregularities
    • Hair loss
    • Muscle loss

So glad you are upping your intake, OP.
    Quoting this so the list of effects are visible again.

I've lost a lot of weight very fast and I can tell you I've dealt with EVERYTHING on that second list and I can only hope I didn't cause any lasting problems.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    1%-2% of your body weight a week is reasonable. If you're doing more than that then you're likely under eating, losing lean mass, and likely jacking up your metabolic rate.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• DennysWifeMrsMattox
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    1%-2% of your body weight a week is reasonable. If you're doing more than that then you're likely under eating, losing lean mass, and likely jacking up your metabolic rate.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Ya, I am going to get a lot more protein and maybe not work out 2 times a day. I love working out in the morning so I don't want to stop that but maybe not 6 days a week. I don't really want to up my carbs and I am happy with the salad I eat every day and the 2 tablespoons of dressing. But I'm going to add more beans veggies and maybe some brown rice?

Are there any suggestions on more food items I can add that don't spike in sugar? I had gestational diabetes while pregnant this last time and I'm now at risk for diabetes by 50%.

I added up how much sugar I had a month previous to this week and it's about 10,000 grams of sugar in 30 days. Pretty high... I can't believe I did that to myself.

I would love some meal suggestions. I hate cottage cheese and I'm not a fan of anything with wheat. I don't really like steak, but I'll eat it every now and then if it'll help me.

I love feta!

Thank you guys so much!!!
  • DennysWifeMrsMattox
    DennysWifeMrsMattox Posts: 66 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    I am down 4 pounds (I'm counting from this moment, but I'll check on Monday) at the moment, but I am trying to drop 50 total by December 17th, 2016. I have about 105 days to get this done. I feel like I am losing water weight, and maybe not actual fat just yet.

50 pounds in 15 weeks is unrealistic because that puts you at an average weight loss of 3.3 pounds per week.

Why the specific date for weight loss? What event has come up on calendar that makes this so important?

I suggest setting your goals up in MFP (or any other weight loss app) to lose 1 pound per week for the first 25 pounds, then a half pound for the last 25 pounds. Eat real food, log everything you consume, stay within your calorie deficit and you will lose some weight by December 17, but it will be in a slower and sustainable way.

Thank you! Yes, that's my plan now. I only want to life 35 pounds now. I'll be 150, and then I can look at what I want then. No time set, I'm just going to keep weighing and trying on my shorts that currently don't fit, and just eat healthy and work out in the mornings when I want to instead of 6 days a week 2 times a day
  • SLLRunner
    Options

Thank you! Yes, that's my plan now. I only want to life 35 pounds now. I'll be 150, and then I can look at what I want then. No time set, I'm just going to keep weighing and trying on my shorts that currently don't fit, and just eat healthy and work out in the mornings when I want to instead of 6 days a week 2 times a day

I'm inspired by the conversation here because you started out pretty dead set in losing 50 pounds quickly, but now you've decided to not be so aggressive in your approach. Good job on this, and good luck.

As long as you stick to a calorie deficit, you will lose weight. :)

Onward! :D
  • DennysWifeMrsMattox
    Options

I'm inspired by the conversation here because you started out pretty dead set in losing 50 pounds quickly, but now you've decided to not be so aggressive in your approach. Good job on this, and good luck.

Thank you so much! Ya I think I was driven by those people who don't like me and I now I realize they are pretty jealous and it's dumb. I met my husband's sister once and she is apparently best friends with his ex wife he shares a daughter with. So she's posting on Facebook how she lost 18 pounds in less than 4 weeks not eating carbs and how much better she is than me and how I'll never lose weight. We haven't spoke to his sister since we found out I was pregnant in April 2015. I don't stalk her facebook, they took a screenshots and text it to me.... Kinda childish and mean. I don't know why I cared so much, but now I'm not going to worry about anyone but myself.

I need to be healthy and live a long time for my kids!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,154 Member
    Options
    I'm so, so glad you've reconsidered, and are going to adopt a slower, truly healthy approach! That's the way not to let petty, jealous people control you - just do what's good for you and your family, and completely ignore those who don't wish you well.

Health, happiness and success in your own goals is always the best strategy - high road is the happier road.

Yay!
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options

Thank you so much! Ya I think I was driven by those people who don't like me and I now I realize they are pretty jealous and it's dumb. I met my husband's sister once and she is apparently best friends with his ex wife he shares a daughter with. So she's posting on Facebook how she lost 18 pounds in less than 4 weeks not eating carbs and how much better she is than me and how I'll never lose weight. We haven't spoke to his sister since we found out I was pregnant in April 2015. I don't stalk her facebook, they took a screenshots and text it to me.... Kinda childish and mean. I don't know why I cared so much, but now I'm not going to worry about anyone but myself.

block these people from your facebook and your phone. they are trying to sabotage you and let them lose weight faster when they gain it back and then some and you havent,then they will be the ones looking like *kitten*.
  • DennysWifeMrsMattox
    Options

block these people from your facebook and your phone. they are trying to sabotage you and let them lose weight faster when they gain it back and then some and you havent,then they will be the ones looking like *kitten*.

Oh I did after that but it was recent... My husband's ex tries to run Phd house and both her and his sister think I've pulled him away from his family. But anyway ya they are all blocked now.

It's funny because his sister gets really skinny then big then skinny then big. I don't want to be like that at all. I'm ready to commit to this for life. I don't need soda and sweets in my life at all.
  • DennysWifeMrsMattox
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I'm so, so glad you've reconsidered, and are going to adopt a slower, truly healthy approach! That's the way not to let petty, jealous people control you - just do what's good for you and your family, and completely ignore those who don't wish you well.

Health, happiness and success in your own goals is always the best strategy - high road is the happier road.

Yay!

Respect def feels better than attention and I think that's all they want. They want me upset and they want problems to be brought up for me and my husband.

Thank you guys so much!
  • DennysWifeMrsMattox
    DennysWifeMrsMattox Posts: 66 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Alright guys... I really ate until I felt full, and I almost made it to 1500 calories. I mean I spaced it out throughout the day.

Did I mess up my stomach? I'm worried now :(

Just last week I could eat 6k calories a day and still be eating in the middle of night randomly. I still have some veggies on my plate from dinner too. I'm just stuffed. I feel like if I eat anymore I will throw up.