September (2016) Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• 07KatieP13
    07KatieP13 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    2.2 miles for me again this morning, 4.4 miles in total for the month. 25.6 miles left to go :)
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Will aim for 40km of running this month. This will be my first run in months!

1 September 5.2km
  • mom3over40
    mom3over40 Posts: 253 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    9/01 ..... 3.2
    9/02 ........... Rest
    9/03 ..... 3.3

Total according to Strava: 6.5

exercise.png

On Saturdays, we usually run with a group of friends. Last month, I was wondering how to get my kids interested to join our little group run thing again. Last night, I decided that I would just do the mom thing: Make them (while I still can :sweat_smile: ) The results:

- the 13-year-old went and ran without complaint.

- the 11-year-old went but walked and said "I'm only here because you made me". That hurts. But he was telling the truth. Like @shanaber said, at least he was outside moving. The good thing about these runs: there are other people in the group; I noticed one of the guys tried to stay with him a little to get him motivated. He still walked most of the way but from how I saw him in the end, I believe he would come around.

- the 7-year-old was the one complained the most before we went. But once we were there, she ran almost the whole 5k without walking and finish in a time frame that she had not done in a long time. She was chitchatting the whole way so it was definitely her conversational pace :wink: I am so proud of her.

So, it may not be a lot of miles today but I am very very happy with the progress :smiley:
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Not so worried about tapering for 2 weeks before my HM now.

One of my running gurus says it's old skool. ;)

I was thinking today's 18 km would be really hard, since I did a distance PB of 219 km in August, and have run every day in September including a parkrun 26 second PB, but I was good today. But I would like to do a PB for my upcoming HM, so I will try not to run hard for at least a couple of days beforehand.
  • samthepanda
    samthepanda Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    3.3 miles today for my first September run, slow and steady. Weirdly stomach didn't feel good not sure if it was heartburn?
  • AdrianChr92
    AdrianChr92 Posts: 567 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    @RespectTheKitty Sweet pair of tires you got there.
    @samthepanda Maybe it was something you ate or ate too close to the run. I always have problems running on a full stomach. I try to eat like 3-4 hours before

I was afraid of today's planned long run. Assigment asked for 25 minutes at marathon pace (4:35 min/km or 7:22 min/mile), 5 min at tempo pace (4:20 min/km or 7 min/mile) then another 25 min at MP. Probably because I never ran that long and that fast before, my 10k pr was 48:28. It was kinda hot, my heart rate went into red zone but the pace was manageable. I smashed my 10k pr that I set in may but the workout felt harder than it was supposed to and I cut the last 25 min lap at 15 min. The ice bath I took after felt so good though

Date.....Distance..Type/min/km

September 1 - 12.8km - Tempo&Reps/4:20, 3:30
    September 2 - 7.7 km - Easy/6:00
    September 3 - 6.1 km - Easy/6:30
    September 4 - 17.2km - MP/4:35

exercise.png

03/04: Bucharest 10k and Family run 48:28
    16/04: Color Run Bucharest
    17/04: Forest Run 5k 22:05
    04/06: Happy Run 5k 21:57
    22/07: Bucharest After9Cross 9.5k 49:03
    28/08: Fox Trail Half Marathon (10k) 48:28
    18/09: Baneasa Trail Run (10k)
    25/09: Black Sea 10k
    09/10: Bucharest International Marathon (Half Debut)
  • samthepanda
    samthepanda Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    My breakfast was my usual weetabix and coffee, usual time so dunno. Hopefully just a one off.
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    @Orphia I was going to say to enjoy your taper - but then I saw that tapering is not cool any more :)
    My coach's plan calls for a 2-week taper before my half, which consists of running shorter and easier base runs 5 days of the week in the first week of taper and a 75-90 minute long run. Then the week before the race, short base runs on Sunday and Monday, a "sharpener" on Tuesday (1 x 3 minute hard effort), off on Wed and Fri, short base on Thurs, very easy 15 minutes the day before the race.

@mom3over40 good job making your kids run :). I love to see families running - it's such a foreign concept from how I grew up. Have they done any fun run "official" races yet? Maybe that will bring out the love.

That reminds me that at my last 5k that was for sarcoma cancer research, there was this little guy running seemingly by himself. He was tiny! Probably 3 or 4 years old. He had a head band on and was super serious churning his way down the course (ignoring all the people oohing and aahing over him). I saw him again at the end and his mom was there - who appeared to be a cancer survivor with limited mobility - and he was tired and cranky (I don't think he ran the whole course, but maybe!). She was trying to encourage him to run through the chute and across the official finish line and he wasn't having it. Then a few minutes later after she gave up trying, he decided on his own to do it and took a running charge across the line. Cutest thing I've ever seen. What a little guy.

@RespectTheKitty I have those same shoes on order and am waiting impatiently for them. Can't wait for a fresh pair! Enjoy your new ride!

It's an absolutely gorgeous day here. I have a wedding to go to later but I'm going to take a short run at some time this morning. So nice not to have to try to beat the oppressive heat!
  • Amandajs232
    Amandajs232 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    September

Slow recovery run as legs heavy. Had some beer, vodka, lots and lots of tapas (and with delicious evoo) and nutty toffee cheesecake last night so felt happy to just be able to run today.

1. 1/9 7.6m
    2. 3/9 5.5m
    3. 4/9 6.5m

3/14
    19.6m
  • ebonibabe1
    ebonibabe1 Posts: 108 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    exercise.png[img][/img]
  • ebonibabe1
    ebonibabe1 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Just trying out that ticker thing. Still haven't done a run get, had to deal with some flooding in our back yard. It looks like a lake. The water is almost up the the top of my rubber boots in the shallow side. Bought a water pump yesterday to trying to get some of it out.
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    A lady had set up a table along side the path, and she had posted signs along the path that said stuff like, "Keep going!" and "Believe in yourself!" As I ran past her she said hello and asked me what I was training for. I told her I was just training for my health, and she said, "Great! Keep it up!" and that was really nice.
    That is so cool! What a nice lady.

@jodilynnsanders5104 Wow, from 5km to 12km is quite an increase!

@untermrad and @emmab0902 Welcome to the group!
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    9/1: 4.3 miles
    9/2: Rest day
    9/3: 9.4 miles
    9/4: 5.7 miles

Fall is almost here! I brought a long-sleeve shirt to my group run today to wear for post-run coffee because it was 59F when we started. NOT EVEN 60 DEGREES, YOU GUYS!! :D Though it will be back in the high 80s and low 90s this week, so it's definitely still summer. But this fall preview has me really excited for cooler weather training.

My calf felt great for this run. I felt like I should have been going much faster, but the pace felt easy and discomfort-free and that's what's most important. This last week of rest/taper should close the deal and I'll be ready to jump into real, hard training next week. Yay!

exercise.png

Upcoming Races:
    9/11: Lehigh Valley Health Network Via Half-Marathon
    10/8: Coe College Homecoming 5k
    10/16: Halloween Half-Marathon
    11/20: Philadelphia Marathon

• Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    Met up with some regular running buddies for our usual Sunday AM run, and given the slowest friend was still injured, ended up doing the run at a more reasonable 10.5 pace (than our normal 12). As I was looking to get in a longer (but stepback week)distance 16 miler, I ended up both running to/from the group, and doing a few miles at the end solo to hit my 16. It looks like 2 friends from that run are going to race the Montour Trail Half Marathon next weekend, so depending on weather I'll probably just add it to the calendar and give it a shot. My only concern is with my upcoming race schedule, it'll put my final 20 miler back in Florida, and within 10 days of my Ironman 70.3, or I'll try to squeeze it in 2 days after racing my half marathon before flying back to Florida.

Going to take a planned running full rest day tomorrow, as I've run 76 miles this past week, with only 2 low mileage recovery days, but no total rest days.

9/1 - 6 miles (treadmill)
    9/2 - 10 miles
    9/3 - 12 miles
    9/4 - 16 miles

Total: 44 miles
    Goal: 190 miles, 8 MP+ faster sessions
    Remaining: 146 miles

2016 Race Schedule:
    Disney Marathon - Jan 6 - 3:29:09
    Gasparilla 15K - Feb 20 - 1:01:59
    Ironman 70.3 Florida - Apr 10 - 5:07:51
    Pittsburgh Marathon - May 1 - 3:08:25
    Ironman 70.3 Augusta - Sep 25
    Chicago Marathon - Oct 9
    Ironman Florida - Nov 5
    Rock 'n Roll Las Vegas 10K - Nov 13
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    Options
    Had a nice park run this morning. I'm not crazy about the concrete path/track I run on but I like running there once a week without all the distractions of running with my dog (even though I love running with her) and other neighborhood/horse trail issues. It's a place that I can add distance just by running an extra lap and I can watch my pace much easier...........it is rather boring though....... ;)

I tried to do my first tempo run with first and last miles slow pace and middle two at tempo. Worked out pretty well and I shaved time off my overall pace by a little and the second mile was fastest mile.

09/01 – Unplanned Rest Day but swam 45 minutes this afternoon (too hot here to run)
    09/02 – 3 miles – Pretty slow pace but faster than last run and AVG HR only 139
    09/03 – 1.3 miles around basketball court at gym + 90 min strength training
    09/04 – 4 miles, middle two faster, AVG HR 148

exercise.png

I'll probably stick to 4 miles for next Sunday but increase my weekly runs slightly this week to add some distance.

• 5512bf
    5512bf Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    9/1 AM - 4.02 - Easy
    9/1 PM - 6.0 - Easy Indoor track
    9/2 - Unplanned Rest
    9/3 - 5.01 - Easy
    9/4 - 17.01 - Long w/ 2x3 miles at GMP + 1x2 Miles @GMP

Total 32.03 of 255 Miles

I finished the week with just under 49 miles, but that is way off what I was scheduled. If you told me 2 years ago I'd do nearly 50 miles and skip a run and cut a couple short I'd be ecstatic. My middle distance runs have been a mental/physical combination of frustration the past few weeks. I got in my hard interval session and the long run with speed work and felt good about that. Fortunately the plan begins to taper slightly this week since this was the last of the 70 mile scheduled weeks. I felt under the weather Friday and my hip was still a little grumpy from the interval session on Tuesday so i decided it would be a good day to just take it easy. I think it was the right call since today's run went well. It was scheduled for a 17 miles w/ 14 @ pace but the temperature and humidity was going to be an issue so I opted to do 4 easy, tempo up to pace for 3 miles, 2 easy, 3 pace, 2 easy, 2 pace then a 1 mile cooldown. My goal pace is 9:09 and my average pace for this run was 9:22 so i think i'm getting close to where I need to be. Hopefully the weather will cool back down in the coming weeks and i can get a better judge of my realistic MP since I was feeling it on the last part of this run.
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    Options
    @Ohhim and @5512bf I can't even imagine running the distances and times you guys do. Really impressive work.

Everyone else here............same goes for you!