Plant based nutrition and weight loss

Options
Hello!

I am trying to lose weight, while cleaning up my diet to be pretty much plant-based. This has not been an overnight process, but the result of modifications over a few years.

Now, I have cut back to 1200 calories, in an effort to reduce my weight. The big dilemma I am facing is protein intake. Even with a vegan protein shake per day as supplementation, I am consistently running short of protein. My goal is set to 80 grams. Even with the addition of legumes (do I really have to eat them every day?), or non-fat plain Greek yogurt (I know....), I can't manage. I don't eat soy, as I am over 50, and don't want to mess with my hormones. It is beginning to hamper my exercise tolerance, as I feel a bit weak.

Thoughts anyone?

Replies

• DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,643 Member
    Options
    I don't believe that I've seen any sound evidence that soy actually does anything to hormone levels. I've never seen a study to back that up or prove it conclusively... I also consume lots of soy with no ill effects.

That said, you might consider looking into something like seitan which is a great, plant based protein source.
  • earthbound2
    earthbound2 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Soy is hormone disruptive at the cell membrane because it is heavily pesticide sprayed. It is innocuous so you do not have a visceral "feeling" that it is damaging but it is blocking vital nutrients at the membrane wall.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Soy is hormone disruptive at the cell membrane because it is heavily pesticide sprayed. It is innocuous so you do not have a visceral "feeling" that it is damaging but it is blocking vital nutrients at the membrane wall.

Interesting! Where did you read this?
  • l1k4
    l1k4 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Exercise tolerance and feeling some lethargy is more a symptom of 1200 calories then something in your diet. Soy and hormone disruption is a new one so I'm not sure if there is science to back this up. You may want to consider A. Mixing the yogurt in a smoothie B. Legumes have ratio of carbs to protein which you my find troubling at 1200 C. Seek alternatives for Protein like, as someone mentioned, seitan. Last, your head probably won't pop off if you are slightly higher then 1200 calories while you exercise. Good luck.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Soybeans in the bulk bin at Whole Foods claims to be organic.
  • PublicBiker
    PublicBiker Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback. Seitan may not work for me, though, unfortunately. Gluten gives me a heap of gas. :/ Isn't it still valid that phytoestrogens are a bad idea if you have estrogen dominance, or thyroid issues? I know the latter has been shown to be of lesser clinical significance, but the former is the reason I have stayed away from soy as best as I can.

I think upping the calories may be a good idea. And getting really creative with those legume recipes.

How the heck did the good folks on the "Biggest Loser" survive their really restrictive diets, and daily beatings they got for weeks on end, though? Some of them were indeed my age.
  • littlechiaseed
    littlechiaseed Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Calories are too low. Btw plant estrogen isn't the same as animal estrogen.
  • littlechiaseed
    Options
    Also a lot of the biggest loser people gained the weight back because they aren't taught how to eat for maintence they are stuck in crash diets and work out four hours a day and don't drink enough water while on the show. The show is for entertainment, not to be shown as an example of healthy weight loss.
  • PublicBiker
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I have never been much of a meat eater, and don't miss eating it at all. Since I discovered my very high blood lipid levels, though, I also dropped dairy (except for non-fat plain Greek yogurt), and committed to the rest of the recommendations to help lower cholesterol and LDL. Plant-based seems like a good way to go, not only in reducing the amount of cholesterol intake (virtually none, while I also understand that dietary cholesterol only impacts the total blood level very minimally), but also in terms of reducing inflammation, which appears to be at the heart of it all, no pun. There's my own personal reason for this lifestyle.

Three weeks in, though, I am beginning to realize that plant-based nutrition is great if you don't have weight to lose, but under calorie restriction, it becomes very difficult to meet fat and protein goals, for me anyway. Thankfully, I love beans and lentils, so I have to come up with new ways of preparing them. And continue to cheat a little with a cup of non-fat plain Greek yogurt. Even add some tofu to the mix. That one has to still grow on me, or maybe I just haven't had a good product yet.

I did increase my daily calories to 1400.
  • stylistchicky
    stylistchicky Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I am mostly plant based...NO DAIRY. Did you know humans should not consume dairy products? That aside milk has more hormonal side effects than soy IMO. I have a disorder that is forever progressive, especially with extra estrogen present in my system. Giving up dairy products has almost completely helped that situation. Less pain and tumor growth has shrunk and less swelling in said tumors. I eat Silk soy yogurt 2 or 3 times a week and it doesn't bother me...cashew milk for shakes. There is nut milk yogurt that I will switch to if the soy becomes a problem. Have you tried Almond yogurt?
    Try researching dairy and hormones. Did you know humans are the only species to drink milk once weaned from mom.
    The Silk Yogurt is NON GMO certified, (some flavors may not be though) which is more strict than USDA Organic.
    BTW to the person that said "soy is ok...no research shows soy to be a problem."
    98% of Soy in the US is GMO. Soy indeed does produce estrogen in the body and men should stay away from it. My doctors at the Mayo Clinic informed me of this. Although as stated above I am starting to believe dairy is worse....its loaded with hormones.
  • stylistchicky
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I have never been much of a meat eater, and don't miss eating it at all. Since I discovered my very high blood lipid levels, though, I also dropped dairy (except for non-fat plain Greek yogurt), and committed to the rest of the recommendations to help lower cholesterol and LDL. Plant-based seems like a good way to go, not only in reducing the amount of cholesterol intake (virtually none, while I also understand that dietary cholesterol only impacts the total blood level very minimally), but also in terms of reducing inflammation, which appears to be at the heart of it all, no pun. There's my own personal reason for this lifestyle.

Three weeks in, though, I am beginning to realize that plant-based nutrition is great if you don't have weight to lose, but under calorie restriction, it becomes very difficult to meet fat and protein goals, for me anyway. Thankfully, I love beans and lentils, so I have to come up with new ways of preparing them. And continue to cheat a little with a cup of non-fat plain Greek yogurt. Even add some tofu to the mix. That one has to still grow on me, or maybe I just haven't had a good product yet.

I did increase my daily calories to 1400.

Ok...I just saw this after I said that about dairy....just the greek yogurt. Good for you. If you can try the Silk brand.
    Now. Going vegan/vegetarian is only for humane reasons kommodevaran, is completely false. My ex husbands family and friends are plant based for religious beliefs. But plant based meaning they do it for health reasons believing the body is Gods temple and to take care of it. Many ethical vegans/vegetarians eat so much process crap its crazy.
    But if you are a ethical vegan, who cares why someone decides to stop using animal products....they are not contributing to the suffrage of animals. Goal obtained.
  • littlechiaseed
    Options
    Maybe you should give seitan another chance? You said gluten gives you gas but how do you know? It could just be the carbs in bread. Gluten is the protein without those carbs.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,643 Member
    Options
    I found that there was a period of adjustment after I went plant based. I had bad gas for a while... it dissipated as my body adjusted to the new diet.
  • stylistchicky
    Options
    I found that there was a period of adjustment after I went plant based. I had bad gas for a while... it dissipated as my body adjusted to the new diet.

Truth! Oh so true! LOL
  • PennWalker
    PennWalker Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    You mentioned something other than legumes, but I love lentils. One cup = the protein of 3 eggs or 18 G. You just have to cook until mushy to avoid gas because people lack an enzyme to digest the cellulose shell. Lentils are so versatile. Stir-fry in a little olive oil with any kind of vegetable (squash, onions, tomatoes, anything) and add some spice for a delicious meal.
  • PublicBiker
    Options
    Good idea on the soy-based yogurts. I forgot about them. Hopefully, they are not loaded with sugars, flavors, and other fillers. If I can find seitan in my area, I'll give it a shot. I'll try everything at least once.
This discussion has been closed.