September 2016 Biking Cycling Bicycling Challenge

Options

Replies

• smyle5
    smyle5 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Hi, New to the challenge. Does stationary count? I ride the stationary recumbent at home in the morning for resistance training warm-up. I ride my road bike at work during lunch (long lunches sometimes) around Healdsburg, CA.
    9/1 = 24.5 miles on Geyserville loop, counter-clockwise, with hill repeat up canyon the easy way.
    9/2 = 13.3 miles on West Dry Creek loop, clockwise, 37.8 total.

I am sure the stationary bike counts!!
  • adriennemarie91
    Options
    I'm a little late getting on here but feel like biking would be my preferred cardio for dropping this weight so this will be an amazing challenge for me to endure in :)
  • narak_lol
    narak_lol Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Counter: 178km
    Target: 1,000km

kcjpenqh22qe.jpg
  • KareninLux
    KareninLux Posts: 1,413 Member
    Options
    Biking commute is looming... having fun kitting my son's mountain bike up. New helmet, new mud guards, new lights. Can't wait!
  • cpanus
    cpanus Posts: 19,402 Member
    Options
    I'm in for 200 this month.

09/03 - 16.00 miles
    09/04 - 15.00 miles

Chris
  • Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    Welcome all of the new participants!

Finally got away from the flooded hurricane damage in Florida on Friday (first flight back north), and am back in the burgh and at least commuting by bike. Still have some lingering wrist soreness from my crash, but able to go out for a few miles at a time and hit up an expresso machine at my gym.

9/3 - 19 miles
    9/4 - 12 miles

Total: 31 miles
    Goal: 621 miles
    Remaining: 590 miles
  • tomofnz
    tomofnz Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'm aiming to log daily, and to commute by bike. It's 9kms (5.6miles) each way. I have a steel traditional looking bike but it's newly built. The worst thing about cycling is the wind, can't do much about that, and punctures, especially when trying to get to work on time. I have puncture resistant tires, Kenda brand, but they keep getting punctures so I've gone back to the tires that came with the bike.
    KareninLux wrote: »
    Transitioning this month to a daily cycling commute - 12 kms one way - let's see how it goes.
    Whereabouts are you Karen? That's a good amount to cycle.
  • KareninLux
    KareninLux Posts: 1,413 Member
    Options
    tomofnz wrote: »
    I'm aiming to log daily, and to commute by bike. It's 9kms (5.6miles) each way. I have a steel traditional looking bike but it's newly built. The worst thing about cycling is the wind, can't do much about that, and punctures, especially when trying to get to work on time. I have puncture resistant tires, Kenda brand, but they keep getting punctures so I've gone back to the tires that came with the bike.
    KareninLux wrote: »
    Transitioning this month to a daily cycling commute - 12 kms one way - let's see how it goes.
    Whereabouts are you Karen? That's a good amount to cycle.

tomofnz - am in Luxembourg. Expat Canadian. Lovin it here - can hike, now bike all year round. Almost never any show!!
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I mountain bike but I'm not hardcore like you guys, so I only get in about 25-30 miles a month. I live where I can ride year round. I should take advantage of that and bike more, but I also love to run and hike, and I can't do it all simultaneously! Wish you all good luck in meeting your goals for September! B)
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    ba4fqpiaoza3.jpg

This is what I've been doing all summer long. Single track mountain biking.

YES!!! <3
  • sking907
    sking907 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm late to joining the challenge but have 38 miles in so far, my goal is 100 miles a week, so will do 400 for the month. I ride both mountain bike and road bike. Working on getting back into biking after a bit of time away, and want to be able to ride all winter this year in Minnesota.
  • Lord007
    Lord007 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    OMG. You are all amazing! I'm merely riding 22 miles weekly (Saturdays only) for the moment. I can definitely see this group being helpful and inspiring when I start training for the half Iron Man (70.3 miles) in January. :)
  • Kevolar
    Kevolar Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    How about a Strava.com MFP club? People could then use Strava to keep upto date with people's progress.

I already use Strava to log my calories directly with MFP and the two work very well together.
  • Kevolar
    Kevolar Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Just done a quick search and there already is a club https://www.strava.com/clubs/gs-myfitnesspal
  • suznhenz
    suznhenz Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Sept 4: 9.45 miles Sept. 5" 9.92 miles I was doing 15 - 18 miles a day, but just got results from my thyroid tests and my TSH was nearly non-existent, and T4 was low - don't know if that is a sign of over exercising with not enough calories, or something else, so I'm going to just do around 10 miles a day until I see the endocrinologist next week. Usually very low TSH means you're hyperthyroid, but I don't have a thyroid anymore, so who knows.
  • denversillygoose
    denversillygoose Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    9/4 18 miles. Climb into Woodland Park, CO.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Still stalking everyone :smiley: waiting to be cleared for biking anything other than swimming and upper body weights...... waiting....

11weeks on crutches office visit decided that I should continue on crutches. "Ok how long?" Reply "3 months". Is it possible for a person to retain sanity and active goals 6 months on crutches? Probably not.

I'm already plotting sneak away walks that may transition to gimp running. I think I could bike if I didn't strap my left foot in, just leave my shoe loose, as I haven't the strength to kick out. Could be a lot of falls involved though... Eh, I gotta helmet...lol!

Just seems, I should be exercising to strengthen up.... But it's an angry nerve issue... It may just have to stay angry.

Ok just a bit of frustrated rattling... I'll probably stick to sleeping late, drinking cofee on the porch, swimming and dr who marathons.

Happy pedaling all!
  • kwb1984
    kwb1984 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'll play. I've got 13 miles on the 3rd, 15 miles into work last night and 16 miles home this morning.

No mileage goal this month, just going to ride to work as often as the weather and my legs will let me. Hopefully I'll get to sneak in some dirt miles, I've haven't been on a trail all summer.
  • Bikerchickmomma
    Bikerchickmomma Posts: 99 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    My goal for September is to bike 500 miles. There's a biking event on the 24th I am registered for so I am training up for it. I hit 448 last month. Shouldn't be a problem.
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,683 Member
    Options
    Kevolar wrote: »
    How about a Strava.com MFP club? People could then use Strava to keep upto date with people's progress.

I already use Strava to log my calories directly with MFP and the two work very well together.

It's a really good Idea... So good, I did just that to keep track of some of the cycling challenges I run (mainly in the Century+ Cycling Group) - http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/3764-century-plus-cycling
    Kevolar wrote: »
    Just done a quick search and there already is a club https://www.strava.com/clubs/gs-myfitnesspal

Ah - you found it...

By all means folks - if you fancy joining, drop me a PM with your MFP user name and the Strava Name you go under (so I can see that people are actually on MFP and not some "random" person from Strava-Land out doing a little "stalking".

The GS MyFitnessPal Strava group is, iirc , Membership by Permission or Invite only - and it may take a while for me to approve the membership - but I'll bet you'll find a whole other bunch of MFP Cyclists you've never met before...

I'd also suggest that you join the Century+ Cycling group (don't worry, the 100+km or miles is optional;) ) because there's all sorts of interesting challenges that are going on in there - especially if you're on Strava, as we've an "automated" system online which actually harvests the rides (outdoors or indoor trainer stuff (like Zwift, TrainerRoad, Sufferfest, Tacx VR Rides etc.) , as long as its on strava - it'll count for our Winter Challenge League.