Fat gain or weight gain from food/water?

Options
Deoxzi
Deoxzi Posts: 26 Member
edited September 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
So last night I said screw it, I'm gonna enjoy myself on labor day weekend and not worry about my diet for 1 day. Well, "enjoying myself" turned into me pigging the F*** out to the point where I didn't even bother logging everything I ate on MFP. Probably around 4.5k calories at the very least. Anyways, I woke up and weighed myself this morning and I gained 3 lbs. Is that weight just from the food I ate still in my body or did I seriously just gain 3 lbs of body fat?

Replies

• MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    You need 3500 more calories coming in than going out to gain a pound. If you ate a bunch of salty food, you'll be retaining water. Some of is water in all likelihood. A little could be weight gain, but it's just the next day and hard to tell.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Deoxzi wrote: »
    So last night I said screw it, I'm gonna enjoy myself on labor day weekend and not worry about my diet for 1 day. Well, "enjoying myself" turned into me pigging the F*** out to the point where I didn't even bother logging everything I ate on MFP. Probably around 4.5k calories at the very least. Anyways, I woke up and weighed myself this morning and I gained 3 lbs. Is that weight just from the food I ate still in my body or did I seriously just gain 3 lbs of body fat?

1lb of fat is 3500 cals, so you do the maths...
  • ouryve
    ouryve Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Most of that 3lb will go down the loo in the next day or do.
  • lemonychild
    lemonychild Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Some of you are giving misguided info. 3500 cals does equal 1 lbs. But in order to gain you have to eat ABOVE maintenance at 3500 cals per pound.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Deduct your maintenance calories (if you don't have that exact number, use a ball park) from this, this is the damage you did.. in the short term, account for more food in gut/waste not eliminated, the amount of carb intake over your usual amount, sodium and perhaps hydration issues, this is showing immediately on the scale in the form of water retention.. now for real fat gain from this, this has yet to be determined.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    It'll be gone by the end of the week. Just go back to your normal deficit.
  • leejoyce31
    leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member
    Options

1lb of fat is 3500 cals, so you do the maths...

It's 3500 calories over maintenance. So depending on OP's maintenance the math could add up just fine.
  • leejoyce31
    leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    Deduct your maintenance calories (if you don't have that exact number, use a ball park) from this, this is the damage you did.. in the short term, account for more food in gut/waste not eliminated, the amount of carb intake over your usual amount, sodium and perhaps hydration issues, this is showing immediately on the scale in the form of water retention.. now for real fat gain from this, this has yet to be determined.

I don't think there is damage from over indulging a day. It's just life on my opinion.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Since you are underweight, even if it was an actual gain, that wouldn't be terrible. If you are that concerned over a few lbs, that's not good. I stand by my previous comments that perhaps you should seek out some help:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10450588/it-says-im-not-eating-enough

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    First visit August 27. First official "Screw it" September 3. Methinks this is not going to work out for you over the next several months.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    There are tons of red flags here. OP I know you are resisting nut you seriously need to get professional help before you get too deep. You might be falling into the restrict-binge pattern which is quite common in people with eating issues.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Unless you ate 10,500 calories over maintenance, no, you did not gain 3lb of fat. You maybe gained half a pound of fat - maybe - and the rest is water and the weight of the food itself. Relax and move on.
  • Deoxzi
    Options
    @elphie754 You seriously need to stop replying to my posts. I'm asking a reasonable question. This is the 3rd time you have brought up something completely irrelevant to the discussion at hand.
    elphie754 wrote: »
    Since you are underweight, even if it was an actual gain, that wouldn't be terrible. If you are that concerned over a few lbs, that's not good. I stand by my previous comments that perhaps you should seek out some help:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10450588/it-says-im-not-eating-enough

• Deoxzi
    Options
    First visit August 27. First official "Screw it" September 3. Methinks this is not going to work out for you over the next several months.

Just because my 1st visit was August 27th doesn't mean that was my first day dieting but okay.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options

It's the long term, daily journey that matters. It's likely water gain. It should go back down within a few days. If you kept eating like that on a daily basis though you would have a different outcome I'm sure but it's just one day of more food than you're used to consuming so you will be fine.
  • Deoxzi
    Options
    There are tons of red flags here. OP I know you are resisting nut you seriously need to get professional help before you get too deep. You might be falling into the restrict-binge pattern which is quite common in people with eating issues.

I think there'd be a red flag if I didn't eat 4k calories and continued to diet on a holiday. Stop shoving "get help" down my throat I know what i'm doing.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    ..... did I seriously just gain 3 lbs of body fat?

Interested to know if someone asked you exactly that question what would your reply be?
    And what would be your advice to them?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

• Deoxzi
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    ..... did I seriously just gain 3 lbs of body fat?

Interested to know if someone asked you exactly that question what would your reply be?
    And what would be your advice to them?

I would tell them I don't know and advice for what?