"I don't want to be too thin" - a "fat" people thing to say?

Options

Replies

• TripleJ3
    TripleJ3 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    When I say I don't want to be too thin, I am referring to the time I had lost too much weight and it was too thin for my frame. It wasn't a good look.

I am no size 2, even when you could see my six pack and I am very muscular. Even when I was buying size 4 in skirts, shorts and dresses, I could only wear a size 6 pants if there was some stretch in them to give room for my thighs and calves. So yes, its not because I am lazy, but I don't want to be so thin that I don't look good. Or even well. I'd rather carry a little extra then look sick.
  • littlepinkhearts
    littlepinkhearts Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    I have said that when i'm describing my goal weight. I'm usually not far away from my goal when I say it and I really DON'T want to be too skinny. I've been there before and I lost too much weight and I looked sick kinda. For me, i'm 5" 4" and I looked too thin at 120lbs.
  • yogini_runner
    Options
    When I say, "I don't want to be too thin"... I'm saying I don't want to be in the low end for my BMI.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

"Curvy" is a body shape, not a size. There is a difference between being overweight and having curves. If you are a pear or an hourglass, you will have curves at any weight.

You are very right. I am somewhere between a pear and an hour glass shape I think... wide set hips, small waist, and medium/average bust. I have curves and I know I'll always have them. That's just how my body was built. :)

Exactly. I'm an almost perfect hourglass and I have curves no matter my size. I had them when I was 102 pounds and I have them now.

Obviously, there is a point where a person IS too skinny. If you are a woman and you stop having a period, you've lost too much weight. There should be SOME fat and muscle on the body and I totally get that everyone has a preferred size and a place where they are most happy with their shapes. But I hear women who are 400 or 500 pounds refer to themselves as "curvy." Those are not curves.

I'm 5'3" and my goal is 115. I'll reevaluate then, or possibly before then, but I don't think that is too skinny for me. (And I will still have curves.)
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I said this when starting out. I think it was a confidence thing on my part, as my target loss was so large that I could not see my myself reaching it. It was my way of mitigating against future failure.

I get people calling me skinny now, I am just 7 lb from goal and am still technically overweight. I always counter these claims by telling people that I have recently put weight back on (only 2lbs) and what they are seeing is a result of strength training not weight loss. They never seem to have an answer to this :bigsmile:

For the record, I am large framed, tall, and my target weight is at the top end of scale for my hight.
  • Carfoodel
    Carfoodel Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I do have curves, I will still have them when get to a health weight/height ratio - but for me being "too thin" isn't about being derogatory towards those that are naturally thin, it symbolises me having to work too hard at maintenance.

I still have about another year to lose all my extra weight and I will be very athletic and healthy when I get there - but I will want to be able to maintain that naturally without having to count every calorie and be obsessive about macro's and hopefully it will be part of my lifestyle without having to apply the level of focus I am using in working towards my goals. - in other words by the time I get to where I want to be, I am hoping that I won't have to work out what the best nutrition and healthy choices are as I will know them off by heart. I don't want to be forever pursuing the loss of another 7 lbs or the next dress size. Too skinny for me is a uk size 8 dress size - quite happy to stop at a size 10/12.

On a more shallow level I like my proportions for my boobs, waist and hips, so I want to get rid of the extra chunks, but keep my natural curves so that's where I will be stopping.
  • possibri
    possibri Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Hi!

Just something I overheard the other day that got me thinking. Usually larger people saying that they don't want to be "too thin" or "skinny".

In my opinion both of those terms are relative so one person views skinny as 5'5 110lbs person and another may say that the 5'5 girl is skinny at 120.

So when you say "I don't want to be skinny/too thin" what are you implying? Are you saying you don't find thin attractive or are you simply saying it because you don't believe you can reach a certain weight or is it just an excuse? Like you're heavy and you'd probably like to be that weight but are too lazy to actually work for it?

I don't mean to offend anyone. When I say I don't want to be skinny I mean under 120 (I'm 5'4) and at that weight I have hip bones jutting out and don't look healthy in my eyes.

Not offended either. For me, my height (5'3") says a healthy BMI would mean I'd weight around 120, but I think that's ridiculously small. I am fairly athletic (or I used to be and I'm trying to get back to that), and I can't imagine weighing so little since I expect to have a decent amount of muscle.

I've been overweight pretty much as long as I can remember, and I don't think it really is necessary for me to get that low. Who knows, maybe I'll get to my goal weight and feel I still need to lose another 60lbs, but I doubt it... maybe another 40, but probably not. Mostly, I just want to be healthy and feel good... that doesn't require me to be at the bottom of my ideal weight range. If exercising and eating right causes me to keep dropping weight, then it is what it is.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why fat people feel they are allowed to tell healthy people they are 'too thin'.

Well first off, thin does not = healthy. I have plenty of friends who are what one would consider thin but it's due to high metabolisms. I am much larger but much more active and in shape than any of them. When we do anything active they are the one's who want to quit because they are tired and used to being lazy.

So it''s ok for a thin person to tell a fat person they are too big?
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    You're right: it is all relative.

For instance, I'd like to be 8% body fat; however, if that means I need to get down to 175 to do it, I'd be disappointed. To me, that would be "too thin." Other people might think 6'0", 175, and 8% body fat was great. It's okay, but it's nothing extraordinary.

I've been 5'10" 180, and that's "too thin" for me. I'm too weak at that weight for what I like to do.
  • andrewlazenby
    Options
    I feel like a big problem is that we as a society have a very skewed idea of what a "normal" weight is. In other words, our normal has crept up gradually over the last decade. I am 6'2" and currently about 193lbs. It looks good and folks who know me are amazed that I am aiming to lower that to 180ish. I am hoping my abs show at that point. If not, its lower I go until my BF% is correct. My low end of normal BMI is 149lbs and while that is theoretically possible I guess, I ride a bike far to much to get there.

I think men and women look at goals and body image vastly different base on societal "norms" that have been changing over the decades. I do know, (no offense ladies, I am a teacher and the only male on staff) that you guys can be vicious with each other in regard to looks. MUCH harder on each other than what men think about women.
  • PBsMommy
    PBsMommy Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    Some people are saying it's an excuse. However, some people, including me, are not aiming to be super skinny or thin. I think anyone who has confidence in their own skin is beautiful. However, my personal preference is not skinny. I have always thought women with a "little meat on their bone" are extremely gorgeous and feminine. That's MY personal preference. When I weighed 150, I still had a little extra fat I wouldn't have minded getting rid of. So to me, my ideal weight would probably be 130 to 140ish. Yeah, it's it tipping the overweight scale for the BMI for my height. Yeah, some people find it unattractive. But honestly, I am not doing this for everyone else. I am doing this for me. So as long as I think I look like hot ****, I could care less if everyone else thought it was a "poor excuse for not looking/trying my best".
  • doonesbury
    doonesbury Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Too "skinny" = weight under healthy BMI. In my humble opinion. Simple.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options

In what dimension did anyone in this thread even remotely infer this?
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Not offended either. For me, my height (5'3") says a healthy BMI would mean I'd weight around 120, but I think that's ridiculously small.

A healthy BMI for someone who is 5'3" is anywhere between 103 and 141 pounds.
  • Mezzie1024
    Mezzie1024 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
  • Hakarn
    Hakarn Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    For women, my preference is in the 25 +/-5% bodyfat range. Less than that in my eyes would be "too thin". Other men may completely disagree with me and that is fine. Of course, it depends on the person's frame

My brother is 6'4'', 190lbs and looks gaunt and unhealthy to me. He is even trying to lose 10 more pounds to get to 21 BMI. I am around 25% bodyfat right now. I think I would be at my ideal "thinness" at 20% bodyfat because I have some muscle mass to even things out. Ironically, even at 20% I would be considered obese with BMI :)
  • ianlikesholidays
    ianlikesholidays Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Hi
    Generally in life, people are horrible and spiteful - they "Rubbish" and "Denounce" anything a person does or trys to achieve (if not directly to their face, then by back stabbing). I almost think slandering people behind their back is the national sport !!!

I've already had several people tell me that my weight loss is pointless, because like everyone else, I will gain it all back again.
    Whatever you do in life - expect negative opinions and comments !!!
    Maybe that's just human nature ?
    Ian
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Even in this thread... Look at the number of women who are VEHEMENTLY defending their weight as though losing 10lbs would immediately put them in the hospital for malnutrition. Interesting study...
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options

In what dimension did anyone in this thread even remotely infer this?

In the quote I responded to. The person thought it was wrong that a "healthy' person be called too thin. I guarantee it happens 10 times the other direction in overweight people being called fat.

Point is, thin does not always equal healthy. Fat not not always mean unhealthy. Fit is fit.
  • dodihere
    dodihere Posts: 490
    Options
    I'm pretty sure its because they are lazy and don't like to work hard at anything.