"I don't want to be too thin" - a "fat" people thing to say?

Options

Replies

• secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    In the quote I responded to. The person thought it was wrong that a "healthy' person be called too thin. I guarantee it happens 10 times the other direction in overweight people being called fat.

Point is, thin does not always equal healthy. Fat not not always mean unhealthy. Fit is fit.

The person you've quoted did not imply that it's okay for a thin person to call a fat person "too fat". You're assuming that they think it's ok, when they never said that, just because you "guarantee it happens 10 times in the other direction". I don't see one thin person in this thread who is calling heavier people "too fat".
  • megalin9
    megalin9 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    It used to be an excuse for me for not putting in the work. I would even poke my rib cage and say, "Look! I can't get but so small!" just because I could feel my ribs and felt like my "big-boned frame" would never be thin. Sounds ridiculous now.
  • Natashaa1991
    Natashaa1991 Posts: 866 Member
    Options

So when you say "I don't want to be skinny/too thin" what are you implying? Are you saying you don't find thin attractive or are you simply saying it because you don't believe you can reach a certain weight or is it just an excuse?

i agree with this. for example, when there's a thread like what's your ideal body, fat people always post kim kardashian or someone thick like her.
    I mean who wants a butt like that?
    i think it's because people believe it's the best what THEY can get.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Too skinny, for me, is being able to see my skeletal structure when I'm just standing around. Some of it can't be avoided, like collar bones, but I'm speaking along the lines of ribs and hips.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    Hi!

Just something I overheard the other day that got me thinking. Usually larger people saying that they don't want to be "too thin" or "skinny".

In my opinion both of those terms are relative so one person views skinny as 5'5 110lbs person and another may say that the 5'5 girl is skinny at 120.

So when you say "I don't want to be skinny/too thin" what are you implying? Are you saying you don't find thin attractive or are you simply saying it because you don't believe you can reach a certain weight or is it just an excuse? Like you're heavy and you'd probably like to be that weight but are too lazy to actually work for it?

I don't mean to offend anyone. When I say I don't want to be skinny I mean under 120 (I'm 5'4) and at that weight I have hip bones jutting out and don't look healthy in my eyes.

This usually comes from two camps:

1. Women who have never been a healthy weight and so can't imagine themselves at one and
    2. Women who think fat = curves.

That isn't true at all.

And no, it's isn't an 'excuse' because larger people don't think they can get down to that size.

I don't want to be 'too skinny' because I think it looks awful, and as much as I want to slim down, I still want to look feminine and curvy.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

So when you say "I don't want to be skinny/too thin" what are you implying? Are you saying you don't find thin attractive or are you simply saying it because you don't believe you can reach a certain weight or is it just an excuse?

i agree with this. for example, when there's a thread like what's your ideal body, fat people always post kim kardashian or someone thick like her.
    I mean who wants a butt like that?
    i think it's because people believe it's the best what THEY can get.

Except Kim is a size 2. I almost guarantee that in person, she's much thinner than she looks in photos or on TV.

I met Jessica Simpson around the time she was doing Newlyweds and she looked about 20 pounds thinner in person than she did on television. She was TINY. But she still had curves because she has naturally wide hips and large breasts. She was probably about 100 pounds soaking wet.
  • PBsMommy
    PBsMommy Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure its because they are lazy and don't like to work hard at anything.
    :noway: Losing any amount of weight is "working hard". Just because someone doesn't have the same goals as someone else doesn't make them lazy.
  • lifescircle
    Options
    Your topic title is so sad. And no, it is not something that just "fat" people say.

"too" implies excess... too thin = skinny.

Skinny was never a term of endearment in my "neighborhood". Thin is a body shape, like curvy. Some people's frame is "thin" and their shape is slim.

Now any body shape can be "skinny".

Media, society, throws out to everyone what "beauty" is supposed to be... "skinny" is the in thing... sad to say.

I've never had a goal to be skinny. It still trips me out when I hear people say... "oh she looks so good. she's so skinny." :ohwell:

Be an individual and enjoy the uniqueness of your own body and not envy others.

We all recognize a healthy person when we see them... c'mon now.

And just because someone is a marathon runner and they are "skinny" does not mean they are in the best of health. Professional athletes do push their bodies to extremes.

QUESTION: "I don't want to be too thin" is not "a 'fat' people thing to say"?
    ANSWER: No.
  • Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options
    I don't wanna be too thin because I want to keep some of my curves. Not that they'd go away entirely, but I still wanna look a little soft. Just not as squishy as I am now. Not sure if that makes sense at all. I've always been overweight so I don't know how I would look thin. I'm almost scared of it a little bit. Also my bf likes my curves so if I were to get too thin, I'm worried he won't think I'm pretty anymore. >.<
  • mhuenec1
    Options
    That makes a lot of sense to me because you cannot control where weight accumulates on your body. Plus as an older woman of 52 it does not make sense to me to have no cushion on your body because you are so much more likely to break a bone without a little padding should you fall.
  • 8goodgirl0
    8goodgirl0 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    So it''s ok for a thin person to tell a fat person they are too big?

In what dimension did anyone in this thread even remotely infer this?

In the quote I responded to. The person thought it was wrong that a "healthy' person be called too thin. I guarantee it happens 10 times the other direction in overweight people being called fat.

Point is, thin does not always equal healthy. Fat not not always mean unhealthy. Fit is fit.

The fact that I didn't point it out doesn't mean I agree with it. Most people judge other people on body shape and size but to impart your judgement to someone's face isn't what I consider appropriate behaviour. I don't believe thin people are inherently healthy. I suppose I was speaking from a specific personal perpective whereby family members and work colleagues feel the need to comment on my physical appearance in an unhelpful and judgmental way when I am personally at a healthy weight for my height and have no weight or food related health issues. I appreciate either people think they are providing you with sound advice, or at worst, they don't think at all (like me!) but I don't think it's necessary to comment on your judgement of anyone's appearance unless you are confident that being completely frank about your subjective opinion is what the person has asked and honestly wants you to provide.

Sorry I don't express myself very well most of the time. Many of my comments are glib, borderline facetious and not thought through. Will try harder.
  • 8goodgirl0
    8goodgirl0 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Your topic title is so sad. And no, it is not something that just "fat" people say.

"too" implies excess... too thin = skinny.

Skinny was never a term of endearment in my "neighborhood". Thin is a body shape, like curvy. Some people's frame is "thin" and their shape is slim.

Now any body shape can be "skinny".

Media, society, throws out to everyone what "beauty" is supposed to be... "skinny" is the in thing... sad to say.

I've never had a goal to be skinny. It still trips me out when I hear people say... "oh she looks so good. she's so skinny." :ohwell:

Be an individual and enjoy the uniqueness of your own body and not envy others.

We all recognize a healthy person when we see them... c'mon now.

And just because someone is a marathon runner and they are "skinny" does not mean they are in the best of health. Professional athletes do push their bodies to extremes.

QUESTION: "I don't want to be too thin" is not "a 'fat' people thing to say"?
    ANSWER: No.

This is what I wish I'd said!
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Shakira+%25283%2529.jpg
    How I want to look.

olivia-wilde-gq-08.jpg
    What I would consider too thin.

I think both ladies are healthy and they both look great, I just like the first one better. I don't really have any explanation for it beyond preference. *shrug*
  • head_in_rainbows
    head_in_rainbows Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    For me too thin is when your BMI is under 18.5. I am small framed, I'm 5'6 and 125 lbs (just weighted myself today. 2 lbs less! Yeah me!) BMI 20.2 and I feel I could loose another 5 lbs to hit 120 where I would stop. I see people here say that anything bellow 140 at my height is unhealthy. I have to disagree. I was 140 (actually I was 163 few months ago) and I did not like the way I looked. If you have small frame every additional pound is visible. And i do have curves - over 8 inches difference between waist and hips is curvy.
    I think that many larger people who have been larger for a while have hard time judging how they will look at certain weight hense those statements. Plus I often read here how someone 'nearly starved themselves" to get to 140 or something. It is not about how little you aim but how you do it. If you eat healthily (both quantity and quality) you simply won't drop below healthy range so I think we all can just relax :)
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options

The person you've quoted did not imply that it's okay for a thin person to call a fat person "too fat". You're assuming that they think it's ok, when they never said that, just because you "guarantee it happens 10 times in the other direction". I don't see one thin person in this thread who is calling heavier people "too fat".

But you have people saying fat people don't want to be "too" thin because, "I'm pretty sure its because they are lazy and don't like to work hard at anything." There is so much hypocrisy on this thread and this site, it makes me crazy!

Who cares what another person wants to look like whether it's your preference or not. If they are healthy then keep your opinion to yourselves. Don't assume someone is unhealthy because they look too thin or too big.
  • marie_cressman
    marie_cressman Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure its because they are lazy and don't like to work hard at anything.

That may very well be the case, but I wouldn't say that for all.
    It's not the case for me. I work out extremely hard (I have completed Insanity and I am 2 weeks way from completing p90x and I do other workouts as well), but I say I don't want to be too thin. Like I said in a previous post, too thin to me is where I look unhealthy for my height. I don't know what that weight would be just yet, but I will know where I'll be happy when I get there! :smile:
  • GeorgieLove708
    GeorgieLove708 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    For me it's a mixture of things... It's mostly "I don't want to be underweight or at a weight where I look sickly" and it's also a little bit of "I've never been anything but fat, and if I set the bar too high, I'm afraid I'll fail. Baby steps."
  • kaotik26
    kaotik26 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    It's all relative. Some will use it as an excuse, some actually mean it. I don't want to be "unhealthy" not saying that thin is unhealthy, but aneorexic is...
  • Darcyw4
    Darcyw4 Posts: 44
    Options
    I didnt look through every response on this one but some of the ones that I read are completely ridiculous. There were a couple of responses saying "its just a fat person's excuse to not work hard." Excuse me? I am a FAT person who has said that I dont want to be too thin and I work my a** off 6 days a week. For one, I have a large head and if my body gets too little then I probably wont be able to hold my head up. When I first started my weight loss journey, I wanted to be THIN. Now, I say screw THIN and I just want to be HEALTHY and be the best me. I am tired of people stereotyping heavy people by saying that we are lazy, dirty and Lord knows what else. There is unhealthy fat and unhealthy thin. people of all sizes can be catagorized as lazy and there are people of all sizes that need to get off their high horses and stop judging so much.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Shakira+%25283%2529.jpg
    How I want to look.

olivia-wilde-gq-08.jpg
    What I would consider too thin.

I think both ladies are healthy and they both look great, I just like the first one better. I don't really have any explanation for it beyond preference. *shrug*

They look like they're exactly the same size to me. One just has wider hips, but that's bone structure and you can't do anything about that.

To the people saying it's because they don't want to work hard or are lazy, come on! Seriously?

A few people in this thread have made my point, though: It's because women who have been heavy their entire lives don't really know what they'll look like at a healthy weight and assume they will be boney and unattractive. I think a lot of women who feel that way, once they've actually reached their original goal, realize that they can be thinner and be happy with it and look good. It's a fear thing and an identity thing. I sort of get it from the opposite end. I was never overweight for most of my life and I don't know how to be overweight. I don't feel like myself at all.I don't recognize who I am at above a size 6, and even a size 6 for me feels too large. I don't look at anyone else and make that judgment, though. It's how I feel about myself only.