Weight loss and alcohol

Options
So my weight loss journey is going quite well so far. I could not be any happier with my daily routine and the results I have seen so far.

My only setback seems to alcohol. Ideally I'd like to abstain from drinking completely, however I don't foresee this going as planned. I love wine and I have already spent this last weekend throwing back so much beer and whiskey lol.

Does anyone have any advice or experiences they'd like to share? Or diet friendly alcohol suggestions?

Replies

• Terpnista84
    Terpnista84 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I have struggled with this myself. I really thought that the alcohol was hindering my weight loss because I knew I was in a deficit. I eventually gave up and kept drinking. This time I still haven't been able to moderate my drinking as much as I would like but I have stuck with my plan long enough to finally see progress- the weight is definitely coming off. However I would still like to slow down on the booze. I consume up to 500 calories each night from alcohol but I still manage around a 1,000 deficit for the day.
  • bigbodybake
    bigbodybake Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I went from January-April with no alcohol, lost 50 lbs. since then I have gone back to my old ways, just eating better and exercising daily, have gained 8 lbs back in 4 months. It's probably doable, but not the easiest thing in the world. Staying away except for special occasions is the way to go (in my opinion). Good luck
  • rosnz
    rosnz Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I manage it within my logging and exercise. I've cut out a regular daily evening glass of wine and now just have a glass Friday and Sat nights and make sure I counterbalance it with extra exercise. I quite like 'earning' my treat and somehow enjoy it more now its a bit special.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,922 Member
    Options
    Alcohol derails my weight loss. It's difficult for me to make those empty calories fit, and if more than a few drinks I get the drunken munchies, plus don't sleep well and then have sleep-deprivation carb cravings the next day and no motivation to exercise.

I have one or two drinks a few times a month and more a few times a year.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    I have a couple MFP friends who incorporate alcohol into their diet seemingly easily. Not me. It reduces my food inhibitions I guess. Puts me in a let's celebrate with food mood.
  • Ricksh1000
    Ricksh1000 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    rosnz wrote: »
    I manage it within my logging and exercise. I've cut out a regular daily evening glass of wine and now just have a glass Friday and Sat nights and make sure I counterbalance it with extra exercise. I quite like 'earning' my treat and somehow enjoy it more now its a bit special.

I'm similar.
    On a night out where i know i'll be drinking beer, i'll be hitting the cardio to earn it. Recently i have been unwell and couldn't do cardio, but still managed to include alcohol infrequently and maintain weight loss. You just have to be meticulous with your logging and ensure over the week you're at a deficit.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    I drink regularly and keeping the weight off. You just need to keep track of it and ensure it is within your limits.
  • z4oslo
    z4oslo Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    drunkorexia is real.

• CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Here is the deal with alcohol.. 1 it is calorie dense, both with carbs and alcohol itself is a macro often forgot. Two it slows down your metabolism. You can have it, but it will make your journey harder depending on how much and how often you imbibe.
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on your body fat goals. If you want to be really lean, you are almost certain to be forced to leave alcohol alone except for rare occasions. I think alcohol can be acceptable if your goals are fairly moderate, but I don't know many people that are ripped that drink often.
  • Pattycake755
    Pattycake755 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    My suggestion is moderation and maintaining a caloric deficit. I drink moderately on occasion. I do not drink everyday or every week. I prefer good vodkas and tequilas because I am a low carber. I chase them with water and lime. This is just my opinion and my suggestion. Since I eat fairly healthy, I allow myself to drink on occasion. Moderate alcohol consumption has not derailed my weight loss efforts. I am 65lbs down, and I want to lose weight slowly since I am eating the way that I will be eating for the rest of my life. I am of a certain age, and was over 280 a year ago. I need to lose slowly so that I can form good habits (eating and drinking), and I am losing slowly hoping that my skin will snap back into place. So far so good, but I fear elasticity issues in my tummy area.

If it is a problem, don't drink until you have lost weight. If it is not a problem, drink in moderation, occasionally, or fit it into your daily calorie goal. It is your choice to drink or not to drink.
  • TeresaB12345
    TeresaB12345 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Sparkling water with the flavors and no calories with vodka added is really low calorie.