September goal.....run/jog/prance

9/1 3.12
    9/2 4-ish (technology malfunction...)
    9/3 strength/core training
    9/4 3.18
    9/5 rest
    9/6 3.25 + strength/core

Total 10.30
    @skippygirlsmom : sending good thoughts for your mom...AND you!
    Upcoming races:
    Las Vegas RocknRoll Half 11/13/16

Ticker is my goal for 2016 and accumulation to date:
    exercise.png
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,399 Member
    Options
    @Marjael - I am so glad you are ok after your tumbles during your run! I am amazed you were able to get up and run some more. I would have been freaked out and walking the rest of the way... which by the way is why I don't do trail running :smile:
    @9voice9 - love that your SWIMBO has a birthday week! Awesome!! Also 12 seconds off your PR is frustrating but also a great race!
    @Elise4270 - I hope the muscle relaxers and all of the resting is helping you heal! When do you see the doctor again?
    @WhatMeRunning - we are all glad to have you back running and here in the challenge with us too!
    @ccontr11 - Isn't the heat always real in Arizona? Personally I think it is pretty brutal there in the summer regardless of whether or not it is a 'dry heat'!
    @ceciliaslater - I had shinsplints that started with a severe cramp in my calf. The way the Ortho doctor explained it to me was that the calf muscles were tight they pull on the tendons and ligaments that connect to the bone and that is what hurts in a shin splint. It can also cause stress fractures. I did a lot of calf stretches and rolling as well as applying ice directly into the area of my shin where it was hurting. I also didn't run for several weeks. On the good side - once it went away I have not had a recurrence.
    @juliet3455 - I can no longer use KT tape without thinking of you and @PoppetsMaster! I hope he comes back again one of these days soon, I miss him too!
    @ariceroni - That is great news that you are off the crutches and have been cleared again for cardio! Yay!!

@skippygirlsmom - my brothers were also useless when it came to dealing with my dad's care and doctors. I am not sure why they just don't deal with it well! Go get that !#$^*%*& resident doctor!

I got in some good running over the weekend. Fourteen on Sunday with a recovery run yesterday of another 6.
    I didn't really want to go this morning but forced myself because it was so cool out. I am so glad I did because I had an awesome run that turned into a fast tempo run because I needed to get home for a meeting. I really needed to run to pre work out some stress that I knew was going to hit just by looking at my calendar. I also found out that I have to go to a client site in Florida next week but they have not provided any information yet on when or where...
    Unfortunately we have an agility trial this weekend so I may miss part of that depending on when they want me to fly and then at the other end I have tickets to a concert on the 16th with a friend and I am supposed to fly to my daughter's on the 17th for the Blerch HM on Sunday. Since it will take me a day to fly to Florida and most of a day to fly home I guess I will make it a taper week since I won't be running much.

I am playing around with what I eat and when at the recommendation of my trainer. I have always run on an empty stomach because otherwise I would have 'issues'. But if I run late then I am not eating for the entire morning and sometimes until well after lunch depending on my schedule. I have discovered that I cannot eat yogurt before a run (no bueno!) but I do ok with oatmeal (no milk) or toast and peanut butter. I am also trying to eat more of my calories in the morning and less at night. I already don't eat after 8pm so that part wasn't difficult. Have any of you tried this? Did it make any difference in weight loss or in how you felt during the day? I am actually finding it pretty difficult - there isn't that much that I like to eat in the mornings.

Date.........Miles........Total
    09/01.......5.23.........5.23 + Strength training and Rally
    09/02.......4.67.........9.90 - SLOG Run
    09/03.......0.00.........9.90 - Rest
    09/04.....13.87.......23.77
    09/05.......5.75.......29.52 - Recovery because it was too lovely out not to go.
    09/06.......4.39.......33.91 + Strength training
    09/07.......0.00.......33.91 - Rest

exercise.png

Upcoming Races - Let me know if you will be running too!
    02/07/16 - Surf City Half Marathon
    02/20/16 - Divas Half Marathon - Temecula
    07/04/16 - SHEPower Virtual Half Marathon
    07/31/16 - San Francisco 2nd Half Marathon
    08/21/16 - Tiki Beach 10k, Huntington Beach

09/18/16 - Beat the Blerch Half Marathon, Seattle
    11/19/16 - USA Invitational Half Marathon (Yay, I qualified again!)
    12/18/16 - San Diego Holiday Half Marathon
    02/05/17 - Surf City Half Marathon

Just because this post isn't long enough :wink: here are a couple of pictures from my runs this weekend. In the first picture the pelicans were moving along in the water scooping up fish - there must have been a lot because I had to take lots of pictures to get one with any of their heads up. Also note the egret just hanging out with the crowd.
    r1xeq1ywlthu.jpg
    This one is from my Monday run and the pelicans and a duck were just hanging out this time.
    253uppwptqkx.jpg

• 07KatieP13
    07KatieP13 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    2.2 miles this morning, 8.9 in total now. 21.1 miles to go! :)
  • Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Took a planned rest day yesterday and got in a nice swim + bike commute while resting the legs. Ended up going out for 10.5 miles this afternoon and despite the heat (88 degrees per garmin), with overcast, and lower humidity, I felt pretty great during the run, even rattling off a comfortable 6:40 mile about 8 miles into the run to see what pace my half marathon target heart rate was netting me (for Saturday's HM).

Still, as a few friends are dropping out from a planned ride from Pittsburgh to DC at the end of the month during my bridge/taper weekend between my ironman 70.3 and the Chicago marathon, and with the Pirates playing horribly, I decided to just skip the last 4 home games of this homestand and bike to DC on Thursday/Friday/Saturday instead, which will let me catch up with DC friends and visit a few friends in Philly next week (and catch a few pirates/phillies games there instead). The timing is also a bit better for my training as it may have been a bit much distance for a taper/recovery week. Still, it means I won't be racing a HM this weekend, but I'm ok with the tradeoff as the forecast for Saturday AM wasn't too promising for a PR.

9/1 - 6 miles (treadmill)
    9/2 - 10 miles
    9/3 - 12 miles
    9/4 - 16 miles
    9/6 - 10.5 miles (w. HM pace running at end)

Total: 54.5 miles, 1 MP+ faster session
    Goal: 190 miles, 8 MP+ faster sessions
    Remaining: 135.5 miles, 7 MP+ faster sessions

2016 Race Schedule:
    Disney Marathon - Jan 6 - 3:29:09
    Gasparilla 15K - Feb 20 - 1:01:59
    Ironman 70.3 Florida - Apr 10 - 5:07:51
    Pittsburgh Marathon - May 1 - 3:08:25
    Ironman 70.3 Augusta - Sep 25
    Chicago Marathon - Oct 9
    Ironman Florida - Nov 5
    Rock 'n Roll Las Vegas 10K - Nov 13
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom If anyone can kick some rear end, I'm sure you can! Hugs and best wishes too.

@WhatMeRunning I've said it before, but I'm so happy to see you running again. I missed what put you on the sidelines.

@ariceroni Yay, glad your recovery is coming along so well!

@greenolivetree Hoping your husband's Crohn's is in remission!

1 September – 10.3 km
    2 September – 10.3 km
    3 September – 10.5 including parkrun 5K PB 26:46
    4 September – 18.1 km
    6 September – 10.2 km
    7 September – 10.4 km

Goal: 150 km
    Total: 69.7 km
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    @ariceroni Glad to hear you're healing up well! Also remind me what your PhD is; I suck and forgot. Good luck with your last courses! After this semester YOU'RE FREE! (Kinda.)
  • Mari33a
    Mari33a Posts: 1,110 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    06/09 - 2miles - I was getting really restless and thought I try a mile walk and see how I went. And while I felt every step, I wasn't limping so tried a jog shuffle and was able to keep going for 2 miles. I did my 3 mile flat route. I'm not suffering for it today, so will try again this evening . It felt great to be out! It's awful reading about how a lot are suffering with injuries.
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    I had gone three mornings without running and I was getting really cranky. I was so desperate to run that I went out in 90 degree heat and killer humidity to run. It was agony. Sweet, sweet agony. I feel better now.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    @WhatMeRunning I missed what put you on the sidelines.
    I had a major trail fail in early June testing out a new pair of Hoka's. I thought I came out of it lucky because I did not sprain (or break) my ankles, but had to take some time off for what I thought may have been a dislocated cuboid. When that got better and I started running again it came back. Twice. That's when I found out it was a stress fracture so I had to stop running for the requisite 6 weeks after that. Instead of cross training I ate cookies and ice cream.
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    @kristinegift - CONGRATULATIONS! :)
    @skippygirlsmom - so sorry about your mom. The doctor does sound like a jerk. Glad Skip can stay home most of the nights you are gone.
    @shanaber - if you end up coming to Orlando, let me know! I know you will be busy, but I'll come to you for a quick 5 mile run! Or a glass or more of wine!

Another cooler morning! By cooler, I mean 73 degrees with 87% humidity. But it felt great compared to how it's been! Might we actually get a winter this year?

So I ran 5.1 and all was good except my fear of bears. For the last week everyone in the neighborhood has been posting their "bear sightings". My neighborhood is not very big and so a baby bear (and the mama must be somewhere!) has been seen on nearly every street. They always see them late at night or in the early morning. I went through this same thing last fall and learned to make noise, wear lots of lights, etc. and they will stay away. So I sang along with the songs (Lord help anyone who heard), and had my personal alarm in my hand ready to go! Today is not trash day, but it's the day you can put your yard waste out, so every black bag of yard waste looked like a bear. As did mailboxes, bushes, etc. Tomorrow is trash day and that's when the bears come out the most. So it may be a rest day for me. :wink:

/1 - 4.8 miles
    9/2 - strength training
    9/3 - 34 miles biking
    9/4 - 100 KM biking (63 miles).
    9/5 - 45 miles biking
    9/6 - 4 miles run
    9/7 - 5.1 miles

exercise.png

Upcoming races
    2/5/17 - Daytona Beach HM
    2/26/17 - Disney Princess HM Orlando
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Date Miles today - Miles for September
    9/1 9 miles - 9
    9/2 5 miles - 14
    9/3 18 miles - 32
    9/4 REST DAY
    9/5 10.5 miles - 42.5
    9/6 9 miles - 51.5
    9/7 6.2 miles - 57.7

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    UAH 8K - 3/6 <<< 34:33 3 in AG
    Oak Barrel HM - 4/2 <<<< 1:38:00 3 in AG
    Bridge Street HM - 4/10 <<< 1:36:33 3 in AG
    PEO-AVN Team Day 5K - 5/4 <<< 19:10 (2.9 mi) 1 in AG 5 OA
    Cotton Row Run 10K - 5/30 << 44:57 PR
    Firecracker Chase 10.2 miler 6/25 << 1:20:22 1 in AG & 15 OA
    Huntsville Half Marathon - 11/12
    Rocket City Marathon - 12/10

I apologize for being MIA for the last few days. My brother who lives in Germany came to visit me for a few days. I got my running in, but never had a chance to update in here. Glad to see so many posts while I was gone.

• Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom Sorry to hear about your mom. Don't get too jersey on those doctors. Have a safe trip.
    @kristinegift Congrats on finishing your thesis and your thesis defense.

Everyone else that raced this past weekend, congrats.
    Everyone hurt and still hurt, booo Sorry and hope you guys heal up fast.
  • cbro70
    cbro70 Posts: 224 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Good morning everyone. So have been away for a few days, mostly to makeup for the weekend where I couldn't run.
    exercise.png
    9/1 - 3.6
    9/2 - 6.2
    9/3 - 0
    9/4 -0
    9/5 - 2.6
    9/6 - 4.3
  • ceciliaslater
    ceciliaslater Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Taking a rest day today. I'm going to hit the gym over lunch instead and get in a Power Hour class. I need to get back into my weightlifting routine. Feeling a bit flabby lately--probably all the pizza and twizzlers I ate while sidelined. And all the crap food I've been eating while busy with moving...
  • 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Many of you might be familiar with Team RWB - they're a fixture around here (because we have a nearby Air Force Logistics Center/base?). I didn't realize until recently that they're open for civvies to join, but when I did some research I was impressed with how they not only represent, but how they raise funds for vets and active duty folks, so I joined up.

The local group does a Downtown Run on Tuesdays at 6:15, so since my trainees didn't make it today, I decided to try joining up for a few extra miles. I didn't realize that when they say "run", they really mean "run PLUS calisthenics and OMG THE STAIRS!". :wink: It came to only 2.91 miles over ~36 minutes (didn't stop the Garmin promptly), and Garmin doesn't seem to record the up and down stairs, just the difference between high and low, but there's all kinda hills and parking decks and church-front stairs in that workout. Them folks are BEASTS!

It was fun! If they let me (slow old man) come back, I'll do it again.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone I really appreciate the good thoughts. You all are the best.
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    9/1 - 4 miles. Weather was beautiful! Had to cut it short because I hit snooze too many times.
    9/2 - Unplanned rest day. Apparently yesterday's snoozing was due to impending illness. First virus of the new school year.
    9/3 - 8.09 mile group run. Again, beautiful weather! Plus, virus seems gone.
    9/4 - Normal rest day. Way overate at family picnic.
    9/5 - 5.06 miles.
    9/6 - Bodypump class, followed by Abs/Core class.
    9/7 - 4.03 hot, humid, sticky miles...summer is not over yet!

exercise.png

@skippygirlsmom - Frustrating when you're Mom (or other loved one) isn't getting the care they deserve! Go kick some Dr. butt!
    @kristinegift - Congratulations and great job! Also, way to get back for the alma mater 5k :smiley:
    @ceciliaslater - I've been eating crap food for months, but don't have the excuse of a move. Love the weight / strength work though. Trying to get back to that too.
  • 5512bf
    5512bf Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    9/1 AM - 4.02 - Easy
    9/1 PM - 6.0 - Easy Indoor track
    9/2 - Unplanned Rest
    9/3 - 5.01 - Easy
    9/4 - 17.01 - Long w/ 2x3 miles at GMP + 1x2 Miles @ GMP
    9/5 - Rest
    9/6 - AM 5.0 MP - Indoor Track
    9/6 - PM - 6.03 - 6x500M VO2Max Intervals

Total 43.06 of 255 Miles

I misread my training calendar earlier thinking I had 11 miles with 6x1200, but when i got to work and re-looked it was actually 9 miles with 5x600. I had ran part of the run in the morning & planned on going to the gym but for a shorter workout I decided to just stay at home and run. We have a greenbelt around our neighborhood ponds that is about 500M so since it was dark outside I figured that'd work just fine & I'd throw in an extra interval to make up the distance difference. I was incredible hot at 8:30 in the evening last night, Garmin had it at 83 degrees but it felt much worse. I wasn't hard to get the HR past threshold quickly. Did 3 mile warmup at goal MP then finished these up at about 7:10 pace with a short 90 second recovery between them. This evening is a post dinner half marathon middle distance run, yeah me. We have a chance for thunderstorms and temps still in the 80's tonight so it could be an indoor track kinda night as well. Yeah Nascar Run.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Sept 1-5.9 miles + 0.6 miles with puppy
    Sept 2-7.5 miles
    Sept 3- 14 hilly miles
    Sept 4-rest day-long hike
    Sept 5-4.0 miles + 0.6 miles with Stella
    Sept 6-8.0 miles w/ cruise intervals

I am taking a rest day today. I didn't run on Sunday and usually wouldn't take two days off that close together, but Sunday's hike left me a lot sorer than I thought it would (lots of elevation and lateral movement over rocks). In addition, the heat has returned in full force and my last two runs have been in 90F temps and have just wiped me out. Yesterday was cruise intervals and I even held back a bit because I was tired and also because this is a cut back week. I am going to embrace the purpose of the cut back week and listen to what my body tells me it needs for recovery. Today, that will be rest and yoga!

This Saturday the "city" where I technically live, Hamilton, Ohio, is having its inaugural marathon. It's a night race (7:30), which I have never done. They have a 6.5 mile lighted loop course, which they will use for the full marathon (4 laps), the half marathon (2 laps) and also the 10K. There is also a 5K that starts at 11:30 PM that they are calling the "Race to Midnight". I was not planning for any of these races, but since it is the first year and my local race, I feel like I should do something. I was debating between the half and the 10k. I think I have decided on the 10k. I have never actually done a 10K, so it's an automatic PR! I will race that and then I will probably do the 5K easy just because it sounds like fun. I think my hubby is going to do it too. I will probably run with him.

exercise.png