Plant based nutrition and weight loss

Replies

• DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,643 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    She
    gothchiq wrote: »
    BUWAHAHAHAHA politicians eating dairy products, well, there you have it! Dairy iz teh debbil!

.... Obama's face looks so freaking intense ....

Look, if you're so worried, get organic, grass fed, no hormone, no antibiotic blah blah blah type dairy products. I buy them even though I know I'm spending more. I think it tastes better. Or get Lactaid if you're lactose intolerant. Badabing, problem solved. I eat the h-e-double hockeysticks out of dairy and I have excellent bone density and no gut problems and no cancer lol and I'm actually really dadgum attractive for age 48. :P

If u don't like dairy then by all means skip it, but no one is convincing me that milk is "bacteria and pus" or "bad for me" or a government plot or any of that stuff.

You are on a plant based topic so......People who follow a plant based diet typically do not consume any animal products for a variety of reasons, health, religion, ethical, personal choice. Feel free to pull up to a utter and drink till the cow is dry. Enjoy!!

The anti-dairy stuff is what's off topic on the thread. To refresh memories of the OP:

"I am trying to lose weight, while cleaning up my diet to be pretty much plant-based. This has not been an overnight process, but the result of modifications over a few years.

Now, I have cut back to 1200 calories, in an effort to reduce my weight. The big dilemma I am facing is protein intake. Even with a vegan protein shake per day as supplementation, I am consistently running short of protein. My goal is set to 80 grams. Even with the addition of legumes (do I really have to eat them every day?), or non-fat plain Greek yogurt (I know....), I can't manage. I don't eat soy, as I am over 50, and don't want to mess with my hormones. It is beginning to hamper my exercise tolerance, as I feel a bit weak."

She's asking for suggestions for plant-based protein options, not to be told that she should not consume dairy, which is what your initial post and argument since has been about.

See...plant based doesnt consume dairy.

Plant-based doesn't actually have a clear and consistent meaning. Many use it to mean "whole food based, no animal products" or "no animal products, maybe vegan, maybe not, does not require ethical commitment," but plenty of others use it in other ways.

BecomingBane's thread (which I liked) is a great place to talk about this.

Point remains that what was off-topic was the post insisting that people (including OP) should avoid dairy.

Help on meeting her goals with plant sources would be nice, though. I tried, but it's something I would struggle with without soy, especially on 1200 (which perhaps is lower than necessary, I don't eat that low myself), so...

Seitan is pretty low calorie for the amount of protein that it has. I've never gone soy-free (I don't have any issues with it), but I think I could easily meet my protein needs without soy in a deficit as long as I had seitan regularly.

I usually make about 4lbs a week and spread it out throughout most of my meals, so I get this entirely.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    So, I skipped over a lot of this thread once it took a left turn, but here is a list of high protein foods. It includes animal based items, but does list vegetarian and vegan sources of protein as well:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/926789/protein-sources/p1

Do vegan protein powders actually contain much protein? They always seem lack luster, but that's comparing to milk based, which is probably an unfair comparison. Are the calories worth it, or would substituting an equivalent calorie serving of something like seitan go further?

Has OP clarified if she tries incorporating things like seitan in her diet?

It also seems that going to "whole ingredients" like seitan can get you farther than some of the mock foods; it's likely a similar base, but the stuff they use to add flavor can rack up the calories quickly.

And has anyone discussed whether or not 1200 was a good goal for the OP, and if she was adding in exercise?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    auddii wrote: »
    So, I skipped over a lot of this thread once it took a left turn, but here is a list of high protein foods. It includes animal based items, but does list vegetarian and vegan sources of protein as well:

Do vegan protein powders actually contain much protein? They always seem lack luster, but that's comparing to milk based, which is probably an unfair comparison. Are the calories worth it, or would substituting an equivalent calorie serving of something like seitan go further?

Has OP clarified if she tries incorporating things like seitan in her diet?

It also seems that going to "whole ingredients" like seitan can get you farther than some of the mock foods; it's likely a similar base, but the stuff they use to add flavor can rack up the calories quickly.

And has anyone discussed whether or not 1200 was a good goal for the OP, and if she was adding in exercise?

I have never compared it to non-vegan powders, but the protein powder I use (Vega Clean Protein) has 25 grams of protein for about 130 calories. So the seitan does have more protein per calorie.

• DaddieCat
    Mine is from true nutrition and has between 20 and 25 grams per 112-ish calories in a 30 gram serving depending on how I've mixed my blend at any given point in time. Also, one gram of fat and 3 grams of carbs per serving.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Does it taste better than Vega sport? I won a free sample of the vanilla flavour and i gagged trying to drink it.
  • eastcoastliz
    eastcoastliz Posts: 1 Member
    Here is one journal article referring to the relationship between soy and estrogen (there are many). The nutritional aspects of soy can run the gamut from being protective or beneficial but also disruptive depending on the health issue. It's never really a bad idea to get organic soy products when possible and to use tempeh instead of tofu (more easily digested)

http://m.fasebj.org/content/30/1_Supplement/902.8.short

Here is an article describing the history of the genetic mutation that allows some humans to digest dairy:
    http://www.nature.com/news/archaeology-the-milk-revolution-1.13471
  • stylistchicky
    stylistchicky Posts: 561 Member
    Here is what I use. It has zero flavor but has a little texture. I mix with nut milk and frozen fruits or nut milk, nut butter, coco powder, fozen banana, and a little maple syrup.

90m74j8o439p.jpg

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited September 2016
    auddii wrote: »

I use one off and on (Vega, I've tried some others too, none were great). The main drawback is that it is a bit bulkier and doesn't mix as well (and tastes worse than the whey I like). It's 110 calories for 20 grams of protein, which is a little worse than the whey version I use (90 for 20, I think), but not a huge difference. I do usually prefer tofu and lentils and so on, whole foods, but it allows for variety and to include it in breakfast more easily. (I think the whey powders tend to taste better, but the Vega works for me mixed with fruit--my smoothies using it are good. It doesn't mix easily with oats like my whey does.)
  • DaddieCat
    Here is one journal article referring to the relationship between soy and estrogen (there are many). The nutritional aspects of soy can run the gamut from being protective or beneficial but also disruptive depending on the health issue. It's never really a bad idea to get organic soy products when possible and to use tempeh instead of tofu (more easily digested)

http://m.fasebj.org/content/30/1_Supplement/902.8.short

Here is an article describing the history of the genetic mutation that allows some humans to digest dairy:
    http://www.nature.com/news/archaeology-the-milk-revolution-1.13471

If I'm reading this correctly, this indicates that it was beneficial to women who had experienced breast cancer in this study. I'd definitely like to see some larger studies repeated so we can know if this was causal or not but it does raise some interesting food for thought.
  • There are always things like almonds, veggie burgers, tofu and the like. If you have not eliminated dairy cottage cheese is good. I am going to encourage you to rethink this diet. Now, I love vegetables. I can put down collard greens and such in quantities that totally remove them from the so-called "free food" category. But a strict plant based diet can really be lacking in some essentials. Judging by your post I am going to assume you were not vegan before. If you want to go vegan you have to do it right. Otherwise you will just slowly starve yourself. You need fat, and protein. You may want to seek out other vegans and pick their brains for insider info.
  • As far as this whole "humans are the only species to drink milk once weaned from mom" nonsense goes as a reason for not consuming dairy I say this. We are are also the only species to utilize internet, cars, gasoline, clothing made from synthetic fibers, air conditioning, stoves, washers, dryers, soap, shampoo, conditioner and toothpaste, paper pens and pencils, paint, crayons, printers, television, laundry baskets, bed linens and pillows, flower pots, books, calendars, recipes, MFP, indoor plumbing, chlorinated water, fluoridated water, mouthwash, measuring cups. You get the idea. So this "we are the only species to to drink milk past weaning so that means we should not be doing it" surely must apply to all the other things exclusive to our species. Right?????
  • stylistchicky
    edited September 2016
    There are always things like almonds, veggie burgers, tofu and the like. If you have not eliminated dairy cottage cheese is good. I am going to encourage you to rethink this diet. Now, I love vegetables. I can put down collard greens and such in quantities that totally remove them from the so-called "free food" category. But a strict plant based diet can really be lacking in some essentials. Judging by your post I am going to assume you were not vegan before. If you want to go vegan you have to do it right. Otherwise you will just slowly starve yourself. You need fat, and protein. You may want to seek out other vegans and pick their brains for insider info.

It sounds like you are talking about High Carb Low Fat (HCLF) I agree its not healthy. I have read healthy fats are essential for neurological health. I think vegans are low in Vit.K? There is a girl on YT named Julia Boer she has gained almost 100 lbs on HCLF. I really believe a healthy balance of fruit, veg, fats, protein is the way to go.

EDIT: ITS B12 I was talking about. BecomingBane corrected me.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    As far as this whole "humans are the only species to drink milk once weaned from mom" nonsense goes as a reason for not consuming dairy I say this. We are are also the only species to utilize internet, cars, gasoline, clothing made from synthetic fibers, air conditioning, stoves, washers, dryers, soap, shampoo, conditioner and toothpaste, paper pens and pencils, paint, crayons, printers, television, laundry baskets, bed linens and pillows, flower pots, books, calendars, recipes, MFP, indoor plumbing, chlorinated water, fluoridated water, mouthwash, measuring cups. You get the idea. So this "we are the only species to to drink milk past weaning so that means we should not be doing it" surely must apply to all the other things exclusive to our species. Right?????

Actually, my dog and cats drink fluoridated water from our tap, so that one is out as an example, my friend.

;)
  • DaddieCat
    There are always things like almonds, veggie burgers, tofu and the like. If you have not eliminated dairy cottage cheese is good. I am going to encourage you to rethink this diet. Now, I love vegetables. I can put down collard greens and such in quantities that totally remove them from the so-called "free food" category. But a strict plant based diet can really be lacking in some essentials. Judging by your post I am going to assume you were not vegan before. If you want to go vegan you have to do it right. Otherwise you will just slowly starve yourself. You need fat, and protein. You may want to seek out other vegans and pick their brains for insider info.

It sounds like you are talking about High Carb Low Fat (HCLF) I agree its not healthy. I have read healthy fats are essential for neurological health. I think vegans are low in Vit.K? There is a girl on YT named Julia Boer she has gained almost 100 lbs on HCLF. I really believe a healthy balance of fruit, veg, fats, protein is the way to go.

I'll just leave this here for anyone who's interested in reading.
    http://www.veganhealth.org/

VitK is important but easy to get on a vegan diet.

I'd be more concerned with B12, VitD, and omega fatty acids. All of the rest is easy peasy.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Interesting; vegan protein powders either have improved or my memory is faulty (which is quite possible).
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member

It's not difficult at all to get vitamin K on a vegan diet. I track my vitamin intake pretty closely and I am always exceeding 100% of my requirements. For the past week, I am actually 258% to requirement, mostly from kale and cabbage.
  • stylistchicky
    edited September 2016

It's not difficult at all to get vitamin K on a vegan diet. I track my vitamin intake pretty closely and I am always exceeding 100% of my requirements. For the past week, I am actually 258% to requirement, mostly from kale and cabbage.

Thats great. I watch a lot of vegan youtubers for recipes and "what I ate today" videos only know from what they say their experience is, and showing themselves taking a Vit K (I think thats what it is) supplement. I rather not have to take a supplement unless absolutely necessary. I am low on D (which seems to be the norm) and take a few drops of Vit D. daily. I tried to get it higher with food and sun....but it didn't go up at all.

Corrected By Bane. Its B12
  • Treece68
    Treece68 Posts: 780 Member
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Agree with this this. I also think it's odd that people think it's news, as if everyone else was assuming that tigers had a stable of cows or antelopes or whatever for milking should they want some tasty milk as an adult.

They'll opportunistically drink it, of course, and we figured out how to make it easy and available for us to do it (hands are kind of helpful too).

Just one of the many advantages of being at the top of the food chain. :)

My cat will not leave me alone when I am drinking milk (or ice cream) she loves it and will lick the bottom of my cup or bowl.
  • As far as this whole "humans are the only species to drink milk once weaned from mom" nonsense goes as a reason for not consuming dairy I say this. We are are also the only species to utilize internet, cars, gasoline, clothing made from synthetic fibers, air conditioning, stoves, washers, dryers, soap, shampoo, conditioner and toothpaste, paper pens and pencils, paint, crayons, printers, television, laundry baskets, bed linens and pillows, flower pots, books, calendars, recipes, MFP, indoor plumbing, chlorinated water, fluoridated water, mouthwash, measuring cups. You get the idea. So this "we are the only species to to drink milk past weaning so that means we should not be doing it" surely must apply to all the other things exclusive to our species. Right?????

Actually, my dog and cats drink fluoridated water from our tap, so that one is out as an example, my friend.

;)

Your dog is taking what you give him so yeah. The item remains. ;)
  • stylistchicky

I'll just leave this here for anyone who's interested in reading.
    http://www.veganhealth.org/

VitK is important but easy to get on a vegan diet.

I'd be more concerned with B12, VitD, and omega fatty acids. All of the rest is easy peasy.

You're right its B12. That's why I had a "?" After the K...I couldn't remember what it was. Thanks for the correction
This discussion has been closed.