Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Are we unfairly bashing foods that contain genetically modified organisms (G.M.O. foods)?

Options
cee134
cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
Are we unfairly bashing foods that contain genetically modified organisms (G.M.O. foods)?

Yes or no? Please explain.

Replies

• Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Probably. I don't.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,366 Member
    Options
    ^^^^ this!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Who is we? I don't bash them, unfairly or otherwise.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on who you mean when you say "we".

I don't believe many people are actually against the development of GMO/GE foods. A good number are against them being introduced into the food supply unlabeled. Wanting information on what you are buying/consuming is not even close to bashing.

I also think it is completely asinine to group all GMO/GE foods together as if one being safe means they are all safe, or vice versa. Just as with other foods, each should be evaluated on their own merits.

Absolutely every word of this.

Also, the question sort of assumes that GMOs need to be treated fairly, or their feelings will be hurt. No. Instead, people need to take responsibility for their health, and make wise, informed decisions.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    cee134 wrote: »

Yes or no? Please explain.

Roger that. Farmers are in it for the money, they really are. The public is easily confused by the loudest screamers. That's why we kill more cows because the public screamed against "pink slime". It would be cheaper to kill fewer cows and mix pink slime into the ground beef, but no, the public irrationally fears words like "pink slime". In the same way, the public has been taught to fear Genetically Modified Organisms, especially those grown from seeds produced by Monsanto. Every academic scientific analysis of every proposed GMO food has concluded that the food is safe for human consumption. Until the public learn what an organism is, their dog is a genetically modified organism, by the way, the farmers will continue to try to serve the market with more costly and more profitable genetically modified organisms which were genetically modified the old-fashioned way, by selective breeding.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    I think it depends on who you mean when you say "we".

I don't believe many people are actually against the development of GMO/GE foods. A good number are against them being introduced into the food supply unlabeled. Wanting information on what you are buying/consuming is not even close to bashing.

I also think it is completely asinine to group all GMO/GE foods together as if one being safe means they are all safe, or vice versa. Just as with other foods, each should be evaluated on their own merits.

Absolutely every word of this.

Also, the question sort of assumes that GMOs need to be treated fairly, or their feelings will be hurt. No. Instead, people need to take responsibility for their health, and make wise, informed decisions.

I'm not concerned so much that science will get its feelings hurt, I'm concerned that senators and congressmen will demand unreasonable levels of oversight and defund current studies on the basis of an unwarranted witch-hunt fear-driven public response to internet blogs proclaiming by fiat that they are dangerous. I think fear is a dangerous thing especially when acted upon.

How do you think that danger compares to the risk of blanket, unquestioning approval prompted by competing internet blogs proclaiming by fiat that there's no danger whatsoever to any type of GMO because they read online that one of them was safe?

While we're at it, do you think hypotheticals like this are a good basis for legislation?
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    Yes, I think GMOs are unfairly bashed, and I think it's rooted in a lack of scientific literacy and understanding about genetic engineering. Here's the previous debate thread, I love all of @Aaron_K123 's points. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10407825/non-gmo-foods-arent-any-safer-or-healthier/p1

To me, the labeling is asinine. Why force labeling for GMOs and not force it for products from selective breeding (something that has ACTUALLY GOTTEN PEOPLE SICK BEFORE), mutation breeding (OMG RADIATION), or hybridization? Also, if labeling is forced, it should only be allowed for products that have potential to contain GMOs - slapping "GMO Free!!" on a bag of quinoa is capitalizing on fearmongering around GMOs, not actually educating the consumer.

All of this.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Yes. Read actual scientific studies and opinion on the subject.