Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Are we unfairly bashing foods that contain genetically modified organisms (G.M.O. foods)?

Options

Replies

• tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    VegetaSKJ wrote: »
    Which tends to show how much it is not really about a right to know because a person that really wants to know about their food could already have learned, a molecule of sucrose doesn't change by coming from a GMO sugar beet or from an organic sugar cane plant.

Odd conundrum for anti-GMO vegans... sugar from cane is not vegan, but it is from beets.

There's been a huge boost to sustainable agriculture from GMO sugar beets, which require far less herbicide and yield much higher tonneage per acre than conventional beet seed. On top of that, hand-pulling has been eliminated by the GMO seed, meaning no longer do thousands of migrant workers toil in the sun for each summer (not are they exposed to high levels of pesticides and herbicides).

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    cee134 wrote: »
    Are we unfairly bashing foods that contain genetically modified organisms (G.M.O. foods)?

Yes or no? Please explain.

Roger that. Farmers are in it for the money, they really are. The public is easily confused by the loudest screamers. That's why we kill more cows because the public screamed against "pink slime". It would be cheaper to kill fewer cows and mix pink slime into the ground beef, but no, the public irrationally fears words like "pink slime". In the same way, the public has been taught to fear Genetically Modified Organisms, especially those grown from seeds produced by Monsanto. Every academic scientific analysis of every proposed GMO food has concluded that the food is safe for human consumption. Until the public learn what an organism is, their dog is a genetically modified organism, by the way, the farmers will continue to try to serve the market with more costly and more profitable genetically modified organisms which were genetically modified the old-fashioned way, by selective breeding.

Can you explain how my dog is a GMO? Or are you using a definition for the term other than the common useage?

http://www.who.int/foodsafety/areas_work/food-technology/faq-genetically-modified-food/en/
    Genetically modified organisms (GMOs) can be defined as organisms (i.e. plants, animals or microorganisms) in which the genetic material (DNA) has been altered in a way that does not occur naturally by mating and/or natural recombination. The technology is often called “modern biotechnology” or “gene technology”, sometimes also “recombinant DNA technology” or “genetic engineering”. It allows selected individual genes to be transferred from one organism into another, also between nonrelated species. Foods produced from or using GM organisms are often referred to as GM foods.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    VegetaSKJ wrote: »
    cee134 wrote: »

Yes or no? Please explain.

Roger that. Farmers are in it for the money, they really are. The public is easily confused by the loudest screamers. That's why we kill more cows because the public screamed against "pink slime". It would be cheaper to kill fewer cows and mix pink slime into the ground beef, but no, the public irrationally fears words like "pink slime". In the same way, the public has been taught to fear Genetically Modified Organisms, especially those grown from seeds produced by Monsanto. Every academic scientific analysis of every proposed GMO food has concluded that the food is safe for human consumption. Until the public learn what an organism is, their dog is a genetically modified organism, by the way, the farmers will continue to try to serve the market with more costly and more profitable genetically modified organisms which were genetically modified the old-fashioned way, by selective breeding.

Can you explain how my dog is a GMO? Or are you using a definition for the term other than the common useage?

http://www.who.int/foodsafety/areas_work/food-technology/faq-genetically-modified-food/en/
    Genetically modified organisms (GMOs) can be defined as organisms (i.e. plants, animals or microorganisms) in which the genetic material (DNA) has been altered in a way that does not occur naturally by mating and/or natural recombination. The technology is often called “modern biotechnology” or “gene technology”, sometimes also “recombinant DNA technology” or “genetic engineering”. It allows selected individual genes to be transferred from one organism into another, also between nonrelated species. Foods produced from or using GM organisms are often referred to as GM foods.

Technically, by playing around with that definition, you could argue there is no GMO's - transgenic gene transfer happens in nature too. On the flip side, things that aren't usually required to be labeled GMO because they were done with forced adaptive mutagenesis could be argued as not occurring naturally, and thus should be GMO - so would include a number of "heirloom" organic seed stocks. In that sense, dogs are the result of mating a wolf-life ancestor repeatedly, but in a way that isn't natural either - it is humans selecting for desirable traits.
    Usually it comes down to playing with GMO as a concept versus it as a set of words. In the literal sense, Genetically Modified Organisms are all organisms that aren't pure clones because all organisms have genes that are different than their parentage. Even if you take it one step further and say GMO means human intervention, again, dogs aren't the result of wolf like animals picking to mate only with members of their species that are more docile and affiliative with humans - it involves people picking them for traits, albeit by phenotype, rather than genotype.

Yeah, usually when people start talking about wide sweeping GMO they aren't talking about GMO as it's typically used.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Yes - there is no scientific basis behind anti-GMO.

"...but we just don't know the impact" is not a logically valid statement.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    Um...honestly not sure what you are asking.

You told me you're worried that legislators will cave into pressure and keep GMOs off the market based on a public response that's driven by fear and ignorance.

I replied that there's the equal and opposite danger that legislators will cave into pressure and all unregulated, unlabeled GMOs into the market based on a public response that's driven by apathy and ignorance.

You're right that I'm making a point. I think your objection was "I can imagine a bad thing happening if we follow this route" and that's not a good enough argument because I can imagine a bad thing happening if we go the other way instead.

Also, I'm not just pulling this out of my butt. A lot of people learn that a specific GMO food is safe, and think that means all GMO is safe. That's the bad thing I'm talking about; we learn that some GMOs are safe and we let our guard down, fail to test new ones adequately.
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on who you mean when you say "we".

I don't believe many people are actually against the development of GMO/GE foods. A good number are against them being introduced into the food supply unlabeled. Wanting information on what you are buying/consuming is not even close to bashing.

I also think it is completely asinine to group all GMO/GE foods together as if one being safe means they are all safe, or vice versa. Just as with other foods, each should be evaluated on their own merits.

Absolutely every word of this.

Also, the question sort of assumes that GMOs need to be treated fairly, or their feelings will be hurt. No. Instead, people need to take responsibility for their health, and make wise, informed decisions.

I'm not concerned so much that science will get its feelings hurt, I'm concerned that senators and congressmen will demand unreasonable levels of oversight and defund current studies on the basis of an unwarranted witch-hunt fear-driven public response to internet blogs proclaiming by fiat that they are dangerous. I think fear is a dangerous thing especially when acted upon.

How do you think that danger compares to the risk of blanket, unquestioning approval prompted by competing internet blogs proclaiming by fiat that there's no danger whatsoever to any type of GMO because they read online that one of them was safe?

While we're at it, do you think hypotheticals like this are a good basis for legislation?

It's not about random unfounded blog posts. It's about the actual science being proven on the subject of GMO's. Not a valid comparison at all.
  • SolotoCEO
    SolotoCEO Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Almost every food we eat is a GMO - from apples to bananas; broccoli to carrots; grains to meat; legumes to pop tarts. Cross-pollination - intentional or unintentional has changed our food supply over the years. There are few foods available that aren't a GMO....I can't think of any, but I'm sure there has to be one or two with all the fuss.
  • Debbie_Ferr
    Debbie_Ferr Posts: 582 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    SolotoCEO wrote: »
    Almost every food we eat is a GMO - from apples to bananas; broccoli to carrots; grains to meat; legumes to pop tarts. Cross-pollination - intentional or unintentional has changed our food supply over the years. There are few foods available that aren't a GMO....I can't think of any, but I'm sure there has to be one or two with all the fuss.

I work in the Ag industry.

GMO is not the same thing as cross-pollination

GMO is not the same thing as hybridization

GMO is created in a lab using high-tech techniques like GENE splicing. (Try doing that at your kitchen table! )

Example of GMO: genes from salmon can be spliced into tomatoes to make them more resistant to cold weather, thereby yielding a larger crop when the weather is less than favorable.

Example of Hybridization: The fertilization of the flower of one species by the pollen of another species-or artificial cross pollination.

If you're interested learning more about the difference, here's a link
    http://www.smallfootprintfamily.com/hybrid-seeds-vs-gmos

• Debbie_Ferr
    Debbie_Ferr Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Example of a plant that's been genetically-modified & now contains an animal gene:
    Venomous cabbage

Genes from a scorpion tail are gene-spliced into a cabbage.
    Why? So if a caterpillar bites into the cabbage, it is killed by the scorpion component.

"The toxin is fatal to the caterpillar, but the toxin is modified so it isn't harmful to humans."

http://www.mnn.com/green-tech/research-innovations/photos/12-bizarre-examples-of-genetic-engineering/venomous-cabbage#top-desktop

http://www.nature.com/cr/journal/v12/n2/full/7290120a.html

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options

GMO is created in a lab using high-tech techniques like GENE splicing. (Try doing that at your kitchen table! )

Example of GMO: genes from salmon can be spliced into tomatoes to make them more resistant to cold weather, thereby yielding a larger crop when the weather is less than favorable.

Example of Hybridization: The fertilization of the flower of one species by the pollen of another species-or artificial cross pollination.

I'm one of those people who took "genetically modified organism" and applied it to foods like bananas. I didn't realize seedless bananas in grocery stores were due to cross-pollination.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

Mutation breeding is considered non-GMO too, but I'd like to see you do that on your kitchen table too.
    Or rather don't, because handling radioactive materials or mutagenic chemicals might actually cause you harm.
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    Um...honestly not sure what you are asking.
    Also, I'm not just pulling this out of my butt. A lot of people learn that a specific GMO food is safe, and think that means all GMO is safe. That's the bad thing I'm talking about; we learn that some GMOs are safe and we let our guard down, fail to test new ones adequately.

Couldn't you say the same for any other process, though? We learn that some pasteurized products are safe and fail to test the new ones.

How much research should it take on a process before we stop requiring testing? Or should all new products have required testing anyway?