September (2016) Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• johnnylloyd0618
    johnnylloyd0618 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Just a thought, I see a lot about prices of shoes, true they are expensive. Rack room has done me well. The shoes are usually last years models but discounted and its buy one get one half off. Not to mention after $200 you get a $15 coupon. Sorry to cheap to pay for a new model, lol
  • RunRachelleRun
    RunRachelleRun Posts: 1,854 Member
    Options
    Hi! Sorry to be late to the party. Nice to see so many fine runners in here. I'm Rachelle! I'm training for a half-marathon on October 23, 2016, and hope to finish around 3 hours (I'm slow). I also just splurged on a new Garmin and it came with a free trial of Strava, where I searched for MFP in the clubs and found you all (request to join sent). I tried Strava once before and didn't have the patience to figure it out, so hopefully this time I'm not as technologically challenged. I've only begun to think about weekly mileage . . . I'll start conservatively with a goal of 100 monthly miles.

September 1 - 2.98 miles
    September 2 - 2.1 miles
    September 3 - 2.13 miles
    September 4 - 11.67 miles
    September 5 - rest
    September 6 - 3.39 miles
    September 7 - 2.65 miles
    September 8 - 6 miles
    September 9 - 2.84 miles

Total: 33.76 / 100 miles

2016 Races
    01/17 - Trail 8K: 1:09:36
    03/13 - Trail 5K: 44:35 (3+ mins improvement over last year)
    04/10 - Trail 5K: 43:10 (1:39 improvement over last year)
    10/02 - Trail 5K:
    10/23 - Road Half-marathon:
  • BasicGreatGuy
    BasicGreatGuy Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    Hi! Sorry to be late to the party. Nice to see so many fine runners in here. I'm Rachelle! I'm training for a half-marathon on October 23, 2016, and hope to finish around 3 hours (I'm slow). I also just splurged on a new Garmin and it came with a free trial of Strava, where I searched for MFP in the clubs and found you all (request to join sent). I tried Strava once before and didn't have the patience to figure it out, so hopefully this time I'm not as technologically challenged. I've only begun to think about weekly mileage . . . I'll start conservatively with a goal of 100 monthly miles.

September 1 - 2.98 miles
    September 2 - 2.1 miles
    September 3 - 2.13 miles
    September 4 - 11.67 miles
    September 5 - rest
    September 6 - 3.39 miles
    September 7 - 2.65 miles
    September 8 - 6 miles
    September 9 - 2.84 miles

Total: 33.76 / 100 miles

2016 Races
    01/17 - Trail 8K: 1:09:36
    03/13 - Trail 5K: 44:35 (3+ mins improvement over last year)
    04/10 - Trail 5K: 43:10 (1:39 improvement over last year)
    10/02 - Trail 5K:
    10/23 - Road Half-marathon:

Welcome, Rachelle :)

Don't ever feel like you have to apologize about your pace (re: "I'm slow"). In the grand running scheme, we would all be slow, if we were to compare ourselves to someone else. Fortunately, we only compare us to us. ;)

I see you got in a nice long run on the 4th. You have time to get in a few more long runs before your race. Be careful with your long run distance in comparison to your total weekly mileage. It is a good idea to try and keep the long distance run between 30 - 35% of your total weekly miles. This helps to cut down not only on excess body fatigue, it also helps to prevent injury due to the amount of miles (and time on your feet).

I see you have some trail running experience. Trail running is fun. Good for you. :)

I wish you the very best with your upcoming race.
  • BasicGreatGuy
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Just a thought, I see a lot about prices of shoes, true they are expensive. Rack room has done me well. The shoes are usually last years models but discounted and its buy one get one half off. Not to mention after $200 you get a $15 coupon. Sorry to cheap to pay for a new model, lol

In my opinion, it is wise to seek out last year's model, especially if the shoe has worked well for you. No sense in paying full retail.

At the moment, I have 8 pairs of different model Altra shoes on the shelf waiting to be used. All were bought at a 30% - 50% discount. Some are last year's models and a few are new models.

6pm, shoebuy.com, runningwearhouse, jackrabbit.com, Amazon and kellysrunningwearhouse are just a few good places online to find good prices on shoes.
  • RunRachelleRun
    Options

Don't ever feel like you have to apologize about your pace (re: "I'm slow"). In the grand running scheme, we would all be slow, if we were to compare ourselves to someone else. Fortunately, we only compare us to us. ;)

I see you got in a nice long run on the 4th. You have time to get in a few more long runs before your race. Be careful with your long run distance in comparison to your total weekly mileage. It is a good idea to try and keep the long distance run between 30 - 35% of your total weekly miles. This helps to cut down not only on excess body fatigue, it also helps to prevent injury due to the amount of miles (and time on your feet).

I see you have some trail running experience. Trail running is fun. Good for you. :)

Ha, @BasicGreatGuy I had a good laugh at your profile photo (though I disagree with the sentiment lol).

Yes, thanks for the advice on the long run in the scheme of weekly mileage! A few other runners on MFP just pointed out something similar to me earlier this week. I've just rewritten my schedule to have a few more runs by distance and hopefully be better balanced. I was following a plan that had all the weekday runs by time and the long run by distance.
  • BasicGreatGuy
    Options

Ha, @BasicGreatGuy I had a good laugh at your profile photo (though I disagree with the sentiment lol).

Yes, thanks for the advice on the long run in the scheme of weekly mileage! A few other runners on MFP just pointed out something similar to me earlier this week. I've just rewritten my schedule to have a few more runs by distance and hopefully be better balanced. I was following a plan that had all the weekday runs by time and the long run by distance.
    I am glad that my well-meaning advice was received as such. :)

Have you been experimenting with hydration and fueling for your upcoming race? Will you be using a handheld or vest?
  • RunRachelleRun
    Options
    For sure, it is much appreciated! I need all the help I can get. I've read a lot, but it's not so easy to put everything together.

I am carrying a 30 oz. bottle of my own homemade energy drink (honey, sodium, potassium, and lime juice) as I have an allergy to an ingredient in sports drinks (rosin/ester gum). I received a small Camelbak knock-off for a gift, but I've never used it. Something about the straw discourages me.

And I have started experimenting with a bit of fuel, which has been a lovely distraction while slogging out those miles. I have a few allergies, so buying any of the snacks/gels etc. has proven to be a challenge as it seems I am allergic to one small ingredient or another.
  • BasicGreatGuy
    edited September 2016
    Options
    For sure, it is much appreciated! I need all the help I can get. I've read a lot, but it's not so easy to put everything together.

I am carrying a 30 oz. bottle of my own homemade energy drink (honey, sodium, potassium, and lime juice) as I have an allergy to an ingredient in sports drinks (rosin/ester gum). I received a small Camelbak knock-off for a gift, but I've never used it. Something about the straw discourages me.

And I have started experimenting with a bit of fuel, which has been a lovely distraction while slogging out those miles. I have a few allergies, so buying any of the snacks/gels etc. has proven to be a challenge as it seems I am allergic to one small ingredient or another.
    If you don't have allergy problems with dates or raisins, they would be good carb sources. A banana would also work well. You could freeze it and cut it into small pieces. By the time you were ready for a little energy, they would be ready.

Whatever you are using to drink and fuel with, make sure to use those same items during your training. That way you will be able to experiment and will have a good idea what works for you and what doesn't.
  • RunRachelleRun
    Options
    I am using dates and small chunks of dried pineapple . . . the frozen banana sounds awesome. Great idea. Thanks!
  • Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Felt pretty good at the end of today's 107 mile ride, despite the bumpyness of the C&O canal towpath. As a result, despite 7 hours of trail riding (at a decent 15.5 mph pace) I went out for a 6 mile run tonight. The run felt pretty good, and my heart rate stayed in check despite the 93 degree humid weather.

Rushing through my last 130 miles tomorrow as I need to make it to DC in time for a friend's Karaoke birthday party, and hopefully the towpath won't be too flooded from tonight's rain. As a result of the party, I probably won't run again until Sunday, but will try to get in a long run Monday.

9/1 - 6 miles (treadmill)
    9/2 - 10 miles
    9/3 - 12 miles
    9/4 - 16 miles
    9/6 - 10.5 miles (w. HM pace running at end)
    9/7 - 6 miles
    9/9 - 6 miles

Total: 66.5 miles, 1 MP+ faster session
    Goal: 190 miles, 8 MP+ faster sessions
    Remaining: 123.5 miles, 7 MP+ faster sessions

2016 Race Schedule:
    Disney Marathon - Jan 6 - 3:29:09
    Gasparilla 15K - Feb 20 - 1:01:59
    Ironman 70.3 Florida - Apr 10 - 5:07:51
    Pittsburgh Marathon - May 1 - 3:08:25
    Ironman 70.3 Augusta - Sep 25
    Chicago Marathon - Oct 9
    Ironman Florida - Nov 5
    Rock 'n Roll Las Vegas 10K - Nov 13
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    I'm also looking to shop for a second pair of running shoes, as I'm going to be doing some serious base mile building after my half, and I've heard it's good to have a couple pairs of different shoes in rotation. Currently, I only have my Brooks Glycerins, which have 275 miles on them. Thoughts on this? Do people find this is truly beneficial to do?
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    I definitely think this is beneficial. Get a second pair of a different model (though I see MobyCarp uses three pair of the same model). I use the Brooks Glycerin and I also love the ASICS Air Nimbus. The nice thing is, it doesn't cost you any more to rotate 2 or 3 pair of shoes since you'll still get the same mileage out of each pair. Some say you may even get MORE mileage because the shoe cushioning has a chance to rest longer between runs. I can't say one way or the other myself. I do like that they get a chance to air out longer, though I now put my shoes on a shoe dryer after every single run (with no heat) to help that along.

Another thing to consider is to time your shoe mileage to your race. By that I mean, don't wear a new pair on a race. Running shoes don't need a break-in period, but there could be a flaw in manufacturing that you DON'T want to find out about during a race. I like to have at least 50 miles on a pair before a race but 25 is probably sufficient.

@KatieJane83 Great points by everyone about shoe rotations. In reference to @7lenny7 and shoe mileage timing for races. I now always have 2 pairs of race ready shoes in my kit bag. I once had a Mid Km shoe ( 100 - 125 km ) suffer what I considered to be a catastrophic failure the day before a winter HM. It suddenly started to roll in really bad on foot strike indicating a collapse of the cushioning/foam/rubber. Sitting on the floor beside another shoe it looked fine. Put the shoe on and in a mirror you could see a Bulge form right at the arch on the inside edge. Lucky for me it showed up on a little 4 km stretch run the day before the HM. If I had not gone for that little run I would have been at 2-3 km in the HM with a shoe that was being destroyed with every step. Lucky Failure Timing B) .
  • untermrad
    untermrad Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Felt extremely sick during yesterday's workout. I tried to compensate with a full length recovery run this evening (60 minutes instead of 30).

9/1 6.3 miles
    9/3 6.2 miles, split into two equal runs as I started out way too fast.
    9/4 6.3 miles
    9/6 6.2 miles (treadmill)
    9/8 4.8 miles fartlek run on treadmill, felt sick after completing speed portions and had to stop.
    9/9 6.4 miles easy run
    exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    9/10 - Louisville Pure Tap 5k
    10/1 - Norton Sports Health Great Pumpkin 10k
    10/22 - Urban Bourbon Half Marathon
    11/24 - Hungry Turkey 5k

• Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    I have been very lackadaisical with my blogging. Life was crazy with other stuff. Finally put out a new blog. Junk Miles and The Recovery Run - check it out here: http://therunningstan.blogspot.com/2016/09/junk-miles-verses-recovery-run.html

Let me know what you think.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Awesome blog post, @Stoshew71

1 September – 10.3 km
    2 September – 10.3 km
    3 September – 10.5 including parkrun 5K PB 26:46
    4 September – 18.1 km
    6 September – 10.2 km
    7 September – 10.4 km
    8 September – 10 km
    10 September – 8.2 km hills in lieu of flooded parkrun

Goal: 150 km
    Total: 87.9 km

Upcoming:
    September 18 – Beat the Blerch Virtual Half Marathon 21.1 km
    October 23 – The Bloody Long Walk 35 km
    November 6 – Vitality 10 km

My home parkrun was cancelled today due to flooding! My next nearest parkrun is also flooded, 100 km away. The next nearest after that, 150 km away, I couldn't get to due to flooded roads, plus I don't even drive. That's the second parkrun I've missed in 48 weeks since starting parkrun. :(

But I did 8 km with hills instead and met up with parkrun friends for coffee afterwards, and that was very nice.
  • ccontr11
    ccontr11 Posts: 25 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

exercise.png

My schedule got moved around a bit due to the birth of my new niece this week but I'm gonna catch up on my running this weekend. Going to fly out to LA next week to visit the boyfriend but I'm still gonna keep running, I might even get him to go running with me. Good job on your progress so far, friends :) everyone's looking good so far!

• jodilynnsanders5104
    Options

September running challenge. Goal: was 40km but I upped it to 80km running for month.

9/1...Cross train day: 30 min on my recumbent bike in the morning, 4km power walk at lunch, 30 abdominal crunches at night.
    9/2...30 min run before work (just over 4 km), 40 minute recumbent bike at work. 49 minutes strength training.
    9/3...12km long run. Previous longest run was 5km. Walked another 5.7km with my husband at rib fest in the afternoon. I blew past my previous mileage....looks like I set my bar too low for the month...
    9/4...rest day for running. Walked 5km with my dog and walked up the Chedoke stairs once (300 stairs or 30 flights of stairs).
    9/5...5km interval run, including running drills for 5 min. Walked 16km in the afternoon with my husband.
    9/6...cross train day. 45 min on recumbent bike at lunch. Ran 1.5km on treadmill to warm up in evening followed by 30 min strength training focus on arms. Walked dogs for 1.5km.
    9/7...4.31km hill repeats. 10% grade (I think?). Run up hills. Combination of jog down or walk down. Updated my monthly running goal from 40km to 80km. 0.67 km run to warm up my muscles before stretching for baseball.
    9/8...non run day. Climbed up and down about 1000 steps...man my legs were sore.
    9/9...walked 6km throughout the day. Ran twice...went out a lunch and it was too hot so didn't run as much as I wanted. Went to the gym later and ran a short progression run on the treadmill. 7.34km run total for day (not including the walk mileage).

exercise.png

• ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    6 miles....focused on keeping pace at 79-80% of heart rate...very slow easy pace...so difficult to run this slowly..it felt like it took forever. I had worked the last two nights and met with tree service company to receive a quote with removing limbs from our mature trees and removing tree limb (debris).( I needed a long run after receiving that quote.) Noted that hips were sore afterward, esp. right hip.

Do any of you take supplements after your runs? Other than analgesics?

9/1....4 miles
    9/4...6 miles
    9/9....6 miles....total miles 16 for this month.
    goal is 70.

Indianapolis Half Marathon 10/8/16
    One America Half Marathon 5/6/17

• 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    5.5 miles tonight. I had my car at the shop and decided to run to pick it up, taking the long route around the local pon. It was too warm and too far for Kody, so I left him home. A hurt, sorrowful look was my punishment.

Again, no calf pain tonight and I'm encouraged. I should rest it tomorrow but since Sunday is a sailing day, I'm getting up early tomorrow to run before heading out to my son's soccer game. How far I run depends on when I get my *kitten* out of bed.

I did end up registering for our church's 5K next Saturday. I've come to the conclusion that I'm not all that interested in 5K's any longer, but this one is different. This one I want to do well in. So, my 4 mile trail race on Saturday will become a training run.

q3juw6fqbivw.png

Upcoming Races

09/14/2016 - Salomon Autumn Trail Series (4 Mi) - Bloomington, MN
    09/17/2016 - St. John's 5K - Savage, MN
    09/28/2016 - Salomon Autumn Trail Series (5.5k) - Bloomington, MN
    10/12/2016 - Salomon Autumn Trail Series (5.5k) - Bloomington, MN
    04/29/2017 - Chippewa 50K Trail Ultramarathon - New Auburn, MN
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options
    Thought I'd add my swimming in so I don't look so lazy compared to everyone else!

1 September 5.2km run
    2 September 3km swim
    3 September 2.7km swim
    4 September 3.3km swim
    5 September 2.6km swim
    6 September 6.2km run
    7 September 2.9km swim
    8 September rest day
    9 September 5.3km treadmill run
    10 September 2.7km swim

Running total 16.7km
    Swimming total 17.2km