WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER 2016

Options

Replies

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,735 Member
    Options
    Janet~ your talking about Ree Drummond ,I love her show...
    Just got home from work a little while ago.. upstairs Wellness Center having an Open House, so I brought some canned goods down and got some raffle tickets, put them in for a diffuser necklace.. hoping I get that... and one in for a haircut for Tom
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,800 Member
    Options
    Well today did not start out the best. I get a call at 0400 from my day shift person that they can not come to work. So I am now working the 6-4:30 shift and I have to find someone to work the 3-8 shift I was scheduled to work. If not I will be here along time.
    Pip--those are cute shirts. I pray all is going well today.
    Becca--You go Girl!! I like your way of thinking, each day stands on it's own.
    Scallywag57--The important thing is not to give up. You can do this.
    Heather-Michele--Every year for Christmas I give each of our children and grandchildren that our on thier own a Calendar with all the family birthdays and such. Takes me awhile as end up doing about 15 now.
    Katla--Great news about DH. Sounds like you are getting closer to having a horse everyday.
    Joyce--Pray the shot does help this time. What a jerk that guy was!
    Barbie--Glad they have the answers you need. Sending Hugs and prayer for a safe and quick recovery.
    On the age issue, I am 59 and sure most the time I wounder how I got here.
    Well out of time so will sign off and talk to you all later.
    Blessings, Vicki GRAND ISLAND, NE
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    Kate UK

Hope you are all having a good Saturday we have had a mostly sunny day in NW England. Weigh in tomorrow hoping to have dropped below 123 lbs after bouncing up and down last week or 2. Been good today Cardio this morning and walked to see my DS half an hour each way nowhere near as long as some of you lovely ladies but "every little helps" Way below calories so can have a little treat later

Look after yourselves <3<3
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »

Barbie: Will you be able to use your exercise bike fairly soon after surgery, or will that take some time, too? I was thinking about doggy treadmills I've seen and thinking about your poodles beside you on a treadmill while you are on the exercise bike. I looked for just the right smiley but no luck. :grumble:

:) I love the image of me on the exercise bike and the poodles on the treadmill, but it's an unlikely prospect. The surgeon didn't look too encouraging about my riding the exercise bike. I'll know more after the surgery but I am currently expecting to be able to gradually increase walking over the first month and maybe walking one dog at a time for a short distance but no dancing for nine weeks or maybe more. It is a difficult surrender for me.....it is what it is.

The reason most people fail instead of succeed is that they trade what they want the MOST for what they want at the MOMENT.

I will use this favorite quote to inspire me to take it easy for as long as necessary so I'll be able to walk and dance pain free til I'm 100 older or more. :mrgreen:

• fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,133 Member
    Options
    <3
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    HI All, I haven't been on this forum in ages... but wow! It's still going strong... Have a question.. Have any of you read Bob Harper's book? ... and what do you think about the no carbs (bread, rice, pasta etc ... not fruit and veggies) after lunch? It's an intriguing thought for a carb lover like myself.... thoughts?

For me personally, I could not do it. When I think of my best meals ever, they always have some complex wild rice in them or some hearty pasta, with veggies. Carbs keep you full and satisfied. My best breakfasts have been either a slice of whole wheat bread, or a whole wheat waffle with peanut butter and some honey. If I have them I slice bananas on my breads and waffles. If you don't make it the "headliner" of the meal it is a great mix in the pan, with some protein, and the veggies. For the longest time my philosophy was "to make a bed of veggies" for every dinner I ate. So if I had any pasta meal, I would put a pile of fresh spinach, sprinkle with some water (just use your fingers and wet them) then spices, and a drizzle of olive oil. I would nuke for a couple of seconds until it is wilted. Then I would put my meal on it. Sometimes I would make a meal out of spinach along, with some blobs of cottage cheese, some diced tomatoes, some sprinkled Parmesan cheese, and maybe some walnuts. Spinach for me is like a natural high. Unfortunately I have eaten some spinach lately that was a wee bit slimy, so I am holding off it for a bit, until my desire to buy it again, erases that awful taste.... lol!
    Becca
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    Options
    Kim from N. California – Wow; sounds like the ‘new’ management is quite picky with a 200-page handbook and getting tested on it. Have you thought about a Senior Citizen Center? We have one in Albany and I go to an art class. That one is ‘free’ of charge because the teacher is just wanting us to have a place to paint and such. There are a lot of other classes going on, and these are for a reasonable fee. I would think they might welcome a cooking class, especially for the ‘newly single’ and they usually have a big kitchen because they serve meals during the lunch period to Seniors after their 'craft session' in the morning. Maybe you could work something out with the cooking class and providing them with meals they could eat, maybe the next day. I also know they do the “Meals on Wheels” as well for the community. This could be a win-win proposition for you. At least you could try something like that. For our art class, we bring our own supplies, the teacher is there to just give assistance to anyone who doesn’t know how to paint or has questions about what they are doing. Each June we have an art show at the local museum and get ribbons for a juried show.

I did not really learn to cook until my DMnL showed me. We were never allowed in the kitchen growing up, because we would be ‘in the way’. I taught my sons to cook when they were young; and, they are probably better than I am. DOS’s wife doesn’t cook unless forced; DYS’s wife is a good cook. Very frugal because she was a single mom with a child to raise. The funniest thing that occurred with her is that DYS cleaned out her kitchen one weekend and straightened all the cabinets (to his liking). LOL! She had been saving just about every type of container (butter dishes and the like); and, he took some of their money they got as wedding gifts and bought her 2 entire sets of the ‘good stuff’.

You will just have to ‘stop’ cooking METH.

Lisa – I’d have to agree – noting is better than a man with a ‘mustache’ (as my DH); who always has a great sense of humor.

KetoneKaren – I enjoy getting together with some of my old HS classmates every 3 months when I go to Macon to a MD that I won’t go to one like him here – or anywhere in the SW GA area when the local hospital has taken over smaller ones.

Janetr OKC – Are you positive it is not shingles? You can have them more than once. But, if you have gotten the shingles vaccine after your original breakout, it should be lighter. You might need to see the MD and find out if he/she will give you a ‘steroid’ to take internally. Like Prednisone.

KarenE – I am not so sure I agree with the saying on the cup; I have been after DH to call the carpenter about the ‘free’ door he is going to give us and put it up for us. I finally broke down and called his cousin about some pictures out of his late uncle’s estate that I had been told I could have. I asked if he could package them up and send them to me and I would refund the postage or shipping fee. I got those 2 days later with a big apology for not sending them sooner. They are lovely watercolors of Atlanta scenes. I will have to take them out of the frames and clean up the frames, wash the glass, and put the cover on the back on – they are so dirty from 2 of the chain-smoking for 40+ years. He had first thought they were movie marquees. He used to work for MGM and when DH and I were newly married and he was still working he would send us movie passes that we used on our ‘date nights’.

TRACEY in PA and Becca – I have one DDnL that makes family get-togethers a bit strained. She is terribly jealous of the ‘new’ DDnL. We’ve been back almost a week, and neither she nor our DOS have said or asked about our visit with them. I just rarely speak about anything that I don’t want posted on FB (not that I see it, since I deleted my account). But, others do and I get questioned about it; I tell them ‘quite frankly I don’t give a damn’ [Rhett Butler in “Gone With the Wind” LOL!!!

Vicki GRAND ISLAND, NE – I’m 65; and, I am pretty sure ‘how I got here’; but, DOS (especially) doesn’t want to know. RITFLMAO!

Skikeyhair – I wish I could find one of those little round trampolines (like we used in cheer practice for jumps). That way I could ‘jump’ and it would not take up much room or could be put up against the wall when not in use.

Becca – I am like you, could not do without my ‘carbs’ … especially ‘rice’ since my DH grew up eating it at every meal. To stretch the scrambled eggs, his mother would put leftover rice in them. In that house, there was never a wasted morsel of food. It got put in something, even if it was into a soup pot in the freezer. I guess part of that was growing up in The Great Depression. Speaking of that, Mimi used to tell my Mother not to throw her nightgown on the floor and to pick up all her Bobbie pins (which were rationed out). She kept doing it, so one day Mimi went to the school and announced loudly, “I need to get MWMcK out of class because she hasn’t learned to put her nightgown up and pick up her Bobbie pins’. Mother never did it again. LOL! I think about that when I see them all over my DGDs bathroom.

We both went to take Cracker to the vet, to figure out why she is still limping after a year; after 4 different injuries to the same paw. It is because how her nails grow and how she puts pressure on the front of her inside pads instead of further back. She walked on all 4’s while we were there; so, he knows it is not hurting her, and she did not 'cry out' when he pressed on any part of her paw. She runs fast and runs on all 4’s (we think, but almost too fast to see); but, when running on a slower pace, the foot only goes down on the ground about every 4th or 5th stride. He said that she has had so many injuries to that foot that some of it is ‘in her head’; and, with time and encouragement … we could probably ‘break her of something that has become a habit’.

Hello to all the “newbies” … come often, post often … we ‘are’ a chatty group of ladies and this is a great place to be if you need encouragement.

Lenora
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    Kate UK

Lenora I was puzzled by your talk of trampolines but realised I'd mentioned bouncing around meaning my weight had been up and down. It's funny how the written word can be misconstrued :smiley:
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,133 Member
    Options
    <3
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,066 Member
    Options
    :heart:
  • Purl62
    Purl62 Posts: 37 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    So, when you write a long newsy post and it disappears. :( In a nutshell, it is a beautiful day here in Western WA, thinking of Pip on her MS bike ride and wishing I were out there too. We had planned to go kayaking today, but dh couldn't find the paddles last night. This morning we got busy with other things (like getting ready for 24 HS seniors and their advisor to come over for a BBQ) and then he found the paddles....so, we might go tomorrow afternoon instead. Last night I finished canning 140 pound of tomatoes into sauce. I'd done the first 65 pounds earlier in the week. Don't want to see a tomato for a long while!! Next weekend we are going on a bike trip to Victoria, so, maybe- just maybe- if tomatoes are still around the following weekend I might do some more. 140 pounds didn't last us very long last year. My daughter loves to use the homemade sauce.

I am providing hamburgers, garden burgers, hot dogs and s'more fixings and the kids are bringing drinks and sides pot luck. I bought frozen patties at Cash and Carry- for sure more than we need. 40 beef patties (grass fed even- was feeing a bit stingy not wanting to use my freezer stash of good ground beef) and 48 garden burgers...5 pounds of hot dogs too. I'm sure that will be way too much but I didn't want to go to the grocery store and have room in the freezer. Just need to not get lazy about meal planning and fall back on that. Maybe dd and her friends can have another BBQ before the next home football game... I can turn this into a positive.

Kids just came home...gotta run. Enjoy the rest of the weekend and hope to catch up later!

Purl/WA
  • MA_B
    MA_B Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    My son has been up to a basketball training day today - he stayed over last night on his way past and is back again this evening. He has decided that, as he only needs to get back to work on Monday evening, he'll stay until Monday morning. He mentioned this at 11pm tonight! He is on the coaching team for one of the England girls' teams. He currently lives in Wales so whenever he does anything with Basketball England he stays over so he doesn't have to drive so far in one go. It's nice to have him here. My daughter is talking about coming round to see him while he's here too - they usually only meet up at Christmas and Birthdays so this is an added bonus!

The pup Phoebe is slightly concerned about this big quick new person who has invaded her space! The others are delighted that he is here, especially my elderly springer Toby; he grew up with Barney who was 10 when we got Toby as a pup - Toby would sit with Barney when he was studying GCSEs and A levels! We have to keep saying - 'it's only Barney - he belongs here' to the pup who barked non stop last night when B arrived but this evening has just backed off looking worried! She can't work out why the other dogs are so excited whenever he's around. Hopefully, if he's here for an extra day this visit, she'll chill a bit more!

Have enjoyed reading your comments today - thank you all for the encouragement.

Despite the distractions, I am still managing to log everything! Very determined to keep it up this time.

Maryann in UK
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,585 Member
    Options
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Janet~ your talking about Ree Drummond ,I love her show...
    Just got home from work a little while ago.. upstairs Wellness Center having an Open House, so I brought some canned goods down and got some raffle tickets, put them in for a diffuser necklace.. hoping I get that... and one in for a haircut for Tom

Yes, that's her. Have you seen any of her shows where they show the old building she is remodeling? We drove right by it too. It is in Pawhuska.

Janetr okc (sorta)
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,637 Member
    Options
    Hi Gals,

Barbie and Karen NY – Thanks!

Doing cooking classes somewhere else might happen you never know what will open up, but I am in a very “foodie” community and even the local place that sells kitchen supplies wants a chef to demo stuff. But with the gardening gig, the classes were going to be a stretch so this may be the door closing behind me as I had taken on the gardening opportunity.

Vicki – hope the day went better than it started.

Charleen – that is gorgeous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pip (and Kirby) Great pictures!!!

Off to do some embroidery and have dinner…

Smiles Kim

September Goals:
    2 fun things a week, Lizard saving, gardening in my own yard
    Log everyday to the best I can, over if need be.
    11,000 + steps everyday
    Work on water consumption -

Smiles.

Kim from N. California
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,800 Member
    Options
    I got some purple hair spray at the Halloween store. Did mine and DH. Our DGD that is 8 just shakes her head and says (really grandma).
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    :) Today I took two knitted blankets to the local Chapter of Project Linus. The blankets will go to Children's Hospital. They had several huge bins of yarn that had been donated so I was able to find enough yarn to knit three more blankets....something else to do during my recovery period when I have to sit a lot...while I was there, I struck up a conversation with a woman and found out that she had had spine surgery a few years ago with the same doctor who will do mine....she said that she had been in tremendous pain and now she was pain free and could do almost anything she wanted to.

:) I spent a long time on the phone today talking to my friend, the line dance teacher who will teach my class for me while I'm recovering from surgery. She and her husband have a two week trip to Hawaii planned for the middle of October and I had promised to teach her class for her. We agreed that we would just have two weeks of no dancing....we've never cancelled class like that before. We also made plans for the holiday dance program at the local assisted living places. I probably won't be able to dance but I'll make the CD for the program and a list of links to videos of the dances, so that will be my contribution.

:)Pip, great pictures....you look pretty happy and relaxed after such a long ride.

:)Charleen, fabulous quilt.

<3 Barbie from beautiful NW Washington

• exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,364 Member
    Options
    Did the Biggest Loser's Calorie Killer Circuit DVD. The plan for tomorrow is to do Kathy Kaehler's Get Fit DVD.

Brenda in Tampa - welcome and congrats on the loss! Great goal.

Mary - oh, I've tried just doing it myself. I one time told Vince that I'd contact his father's college about the books, he said to me "no, I'll do it". Well, it hasn't gotten done. So last night I told him that tonight I'll string some popcorn and then go thru his father's books to see which years books he has. I got this scowling face and a "whatever". So I'm going to do it, and we'll see how it goes. I'm sure part of the reason I'm feeling the way I am is because remember that pain in the lower part of my back that I was having? Well, I'm still having it. Almost every day. And it was flaring up last night. I think that had something to do with it, also the fact that I was on the tired side.

pip - now I understand! Thanks

Joyce - what a nice thought. Makes sense.

Rori - have fun at your lunch. Living so near Charlotte, I heard all about their loss. But happy for the Broncos. I'm not a die-hard sports fan. Really, my idea of who to root for in a football game is based on the color of their uniforms. I like the team that has the nicest color uniforms. And to watch those guys in their tight parts running around on that field!!!!

Kim - that's what I do with a sweet potato. It is fairly high in calories, yet I love them and they are good for you. So I usually have only 1/2 a sweet potato.

im - what kind of handbook can a rec department have? What kind of insurance do you need? Have you tried explaining to management how people can't get out of work at 4 to be there by 5? No, I don't think what you're doing is stupid at all (being upset). You're offering a great service to the community. where we take the ceramics is in a city rec center. They're closed F, Sat and Sun. There have been so many times when I've wished they were open on a Friday, but that's OK. I bet your classes bring in money for the city since I'm sure they're charging for the classes. Now they don't charge for these ceramics. Yet they have the expenses of the paint, the people who oversee it, the "goop" for the molds that they pour, the kilns and electricity.

Kim - I agree with NYKaren. I'd love to have you in my kitchen. What a great idea KJ had for you -- doing demos at stores and such

janetr - I used to watch The Pioneer Woman's cooking show. But it seemed like she used SO MUCH butter that I stopped. And a lot of pasta. But I did like her show

Tracey - I own all those videos. Some of them I downloaded from this particular site, but they've gone to a new format and I won't be able to do that any more unless I pay $20 a month, and even then I don't know that I'll have access to all videos or just a few. If I knew that I had access to all the videos, it might be worth it. Just got my free DVD from Total Fitness so I'll probably be trying that one out in a few days or weeks.

tammy - first off, welcome back! Secondly, I don't think I could go no carb after lunch. I love my fruits and veggies way too much. Did he say no carb or no simple carb?

Charleen - good lookin' quilt. But one question -- if this is a Christmas tree skirt, how do you get it around the tree? I don't see an opening anywhere or a cutout in the center.

Becca - I recently bought some spinach and then some kale to have in my salad. It didn't seem to last all that long, it went bad way too fast. I just have other things I can put in my salad for right now so I'm not concerned.

Well, I told Vince yesterday that I was going to string popcorn and then write to FIL's college to see if they'd like his yearbooks. And that's exactly what I did. Of course (and this I don't know why) Vince wanted to review the letter to the school. Why he just didn't do it himself is beyond me But a letter is sent to the alumni association. If they don't want these yearbooks, I'd be willing to put them in recycling. Or maybe the local library would be interested. Or the historical association. Well, we shall see what happens.

Lenora - I found my mini-trampoline at Play It Again Sports.

pip - what wonderful pics. I especially liked Kirby's shirt in the last one. Looks like everyone had a great time.

Michele in NC
    who is making brownies for dh