WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER 2016

Options

dpxlmycmlv54.jpgl0vyoi4defhl.jpg8zsxosk0evu4.jpg

It's a brand new month to continue with healthy behaviours and to begin new ones.

The name of the thread is "Women Ages 50+" but all women are welcome.

How did you do with your goals or resolutions for August?

What goals or resolutions have you planned for September?

Not everyone wants to make resolutions for the month, and some keep the same resolutions every month.

If you are new, we welcome you and if you've been posting with us, we're glad to see you back again.

Be sure to sign your post with a your name and location...and don't forget to bookmark the thread.

Resolutions for August (with end of the month comments)
*continue sorting and discarding photos (photos done, now on to other sorting and discarding projects)
*work in the yard 30+ minutes four days a week (closer to twice a week)
*increase daily meditation time by 5 seconds every few days (excellent--I'm up to 14 minutes a day now)
*average 15,000 steps a day (only a few days under 15,000 and most days higher)

Resolutions for September
*continue meditating daily increasing time by 5 seconds every few days
*sort and discard papers from the next box of old treasures
*do stretching and exercises for 10 minutes three days a week with Jake while he does exercises from physical therapy
*play bocce with Jake four times

81824br5uyrfrsr.gifBarbie from beautiful sunny NW Washington t113030.gif

My word for 2016 is "alacrity"....I will greet all experiences in my life with cheerful readiness

146200.png

Replies

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,527 Member
    Options
    Yo
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Jessica, I looked up Batesville and it looks like it is on the eastern side close to Ohio. I live in the extreme south western edge of Indiana, right where Kentucky, Illinois and Indiana come together.

I was over the moon with happiness today because My blood pressure was stabilized and not light headed. So I was hoping that maybe, just maybe I could get away with just my beta blocker in the morning. Now it's back up, last reading 162/95 and that was just sitting watching TV. So I will take both my pills this evening. Oh well, I can't be cured in just one day.

I have had a movie on my DVR for awhile The best Marigold Hotel. I loved it the first time I saw it and was excited when I saw there was a sequel. I waited to long to see it in the theatre. Of course that's not the kind of movie Charlie would have seen anyway. So Michelle downloaded both of them on a flash drive, I think that is what they are called. Then i found it on my Directv and recorded it. I was hoping it would be without commercials so I knew it was the whole movie but it wasn't. But I am enjoying it. Now I have to watch the sequel on my laptop. It really is quite a movie.

I have had quite an arguement going on in my belly and it finally came to a head tonight and feels much better!

Joyce, Indiana

• linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,078 Member
    Options
    <3
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,336 Member
    Options
    Did an hour of deep water today. The plan for tomorrow is to do a Lift Weights to Lose Weight DVD

After exercise, I'll probably stop at the Salvation Army. I'm looking for some sort of glass container with a lid for the Halloween party. Like I said, I have time. Guess deep down inside there's a part of me that's cheap.

DJ - not only is Denise spending $1200 on a btdy party, she has asked us to drive 8 hrs up there and 8 hrs back for this party which is probably only going to be about 4 hours. I'm thinking that we can drive the 6 hours to Jess'. I'm sure she'd let us stay the night with her. Then we can drive the 2 more hours to Kennett Square. We'll have to leave the party early to drive the 2 hrs to Jess', then the 6 hours the next day. So glad you didn't have much pain at the beach.

Maracelle - happy birthday!

After going to Aldi yesterday, came home and roasted some mushrooms. They were on sale so I'll freeze them and put them in my salad. Then I froze some strawberries. I didn't realize that Aldi carried organic strawberries. Organic is the only kind of strawberries that I buy. I think they have more of a "strawberry" taste, plus, they are on the list of the dirty dozen.

katla - that Arctic Zero ice cream is also for the lactose intolerant. Admitted, it's pretty pricey for the amount you get. But at least it doesn't have the cream in it. Even Vince (the confirmed chocoholic) agrees that the chocolate ice cream is good

Well, exercised and then went to the Salvation Army. Did they ever have lots of Halloween things! I got 3 tablecloths, 2 thin plastic tablecloths, 2 serving dishes, 3 bowls (I'll explain why in a minute), and then I found this bat lighted decoration we could probably use in the house. Anyway, when we had the pool social here, I had these dishes set out that I was going to put nuts into but just hadn't gotten around to it yet. Well, someone came in and started slicing their rolls and putting them in one of the bowls. She thought I had them out there for her to use! No biggie, really, I just used other bowls. So this time I'm going to have large bowls. Watch and no one needs them. Isn't it always that way????

Then went to WalMart, home and went in the pool, dinner and then ceramics, afterwards Lowes foods for a few things on sale.

KJ - you make me so jealous. I wish I was one of your kids.

pip - congrats on reaching your goal. Knew you could do it.

miriam - i certainly hope you feel better fast and that the doctor will help you

Carol - love your hairstyle

cchristman - welcome

Sue in WA - I need new water shoes, just haven't gotten them yet

Jesssica - I seem to get most of my things at Aldi's. what I can't get there (or that I have a coupon for and is on sale), I get at the grocery store. I like the way you're having the children and gchildren being part of your wedding

Cheri - how wonderful you went to that meeting! It'll go up from here. My hubby is an introvert, but I got him to go to a Newcomer meeting (yes, I practically had to drag him). Now he's the treasurer!

Joyce - you had me worried, but I'm so glad to hear that you're not lightheaded

Michele in NC
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Re, I don't do 20,000 every day - just today. My goal is 10,000 but I am so close to 20,000 today that I want to get them. No riding mower for us. Dave and I each have our own push mower and it takes us one hour each to get our grass cut. We have two acres on a corner lot. A lot of it is woods, but my share is road frontage.

My Fitbit, which is supposed to detect your exercise, always gives me credit for "riding an outdoor bike." I guess it detects the position of my hands and that they are shaking rather than moving back and forth. It also gave me credit for a 30 minute walk, which I think was when I was sweeping and raking the shrubbery clippings. Needless to say, it is not as smart as it thinks it is, but like you say, exercise is exercise. I definitely got my share today.
  • pipcd34
    Options
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Happy September. Here are my August resolutions with comments:

August Resolutions :
    1. Log every bite and swallow. :star: Done. I estimate portion sizes most of the time now, but the scales tells me my estimates are good enough. I still measure often enough to know what the portions look like.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength. :bigsmile: This has been going well for me.
    3. Have fun every day. :star: I pat myself on the back for this one, but I got the idea from someone in this group. Having fun regularly helps me enjoy a happier life. :bigsmile:
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more! Logging shows that I'm doing great. :drinker:
    5. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly. I've been doing very well, am rested, and my brain is working "much better now." :star:

September Resolutions

1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,108 Member
    Options
    Barbie- Thanks for taking care of us! You are awesome!

Re- Thanks! The hard work pays off! What is the dip experiment? I must have missed something!

Janetr - Oscar is very handsome! He looks like he will take good care of your house!

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • mwopm3
    mwopm3 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Oscar the dog is too cute!
    I'm so happy with my first couple of weeks using MFP, and glad to have found others on their own health journey. Today I didn't feel like hitting the gym, but then I did anyway!

Here we are heading into September and hopefully things will start to cool off. The hot humid weather we've had has discouraged me from some outdoor activities like biking.

Welcome to September!
    Marcelle
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Barbie - thank you so much for being the glue that holds all of us ladies together. You are an inspiration to the entire group and we appreciate your caring heart.

Thanks ladies for the comments on Oscar. He's going thru a bit of adjustment time in his new home. He loves having two other dogs to play with. He follows Flash, our Boston terrier, everywhere. I'm already worrying about him when we leave on our extended trip and take our two with us, he will be lonely.

The time to hit the road is almost here. I'm thrilled, ready to go and apprehensive all at the same time. :)

I think my resolution for September, and the next several months, will be to log faithfully, develop a workable exercise program that I can do in the motor home and if I can maintain my weight within 2-4 pounds of my current weight , I will be a happy camper, oh or is that "happy RVer"???

Janetr OKC
  • SSC1958
    SSC1958 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Janetr- Love Oscar he's adorable!

Barbie: Thanks for getting us started :smiley:

Carey-Northern Alberta
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Morning, all, and thank you, Barbie! I spend some part of my day with y'all every single day, whether or not I post. You make my day better.

My goal for August was "be lighter."

I didn't make that. Gained five pounds. Am owning that, with a big swallow of reminder that the only way to do that is keep my eating under control.

My goal for September remains the same--"be lighter."

Adding to that, I want to continue the workout path and work out at least three times a week.

And, starting today, I need to log my food once more. It was a nice break, but it's important to get my eating back under control again. Back to logging. It's a discipline that I need, apparently.

Happy September, people--more later.

Love y'all,
    Lisa in West Texas
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    happy September my favorite month of the year!
    I love this thread, love you ladies.
    My August goal was to savor and say yes. At first glance I guess that was great :o cause the scale went up!!! :s However, I am not sorry I set the goal and gave myself a little latitude on food and exercise.

Like Beth and Lisa I am resetting the nitty gritty, like logging or measuring or saying no sometimes (goodbye ice cream, hotdogs and barbecu!) It is kind easy to pack away that behavior with the new start of school for me. So count me in ladies!!

September goals
    •be lighter
    •plan meals/clear out pantry
    •move my body everyday
    •savor every NSV I encounter every day

Cheers! NYKAREN
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,687 Member
    Options
    Morning Ladies~
    I am up and having my tea..
    between assisting ,scanning and doing the order I could barely wait to hit the pillow.. dont know what Mary will do tomorrow as I have to assist all day...
    DGD fell at recess and scrapped her knee but first day was fine..
    I texted my DD last night.. she wants to ride up with me to New Hampshire this weekend but if she needs to bring her dog it will not work because, My car sits 4 people and has a small trunk ,wont fit an aussie too. she doesn't want to drive up and she works until noon on Saterday. I really want to get up there early saterday a.m. to help my DB set up for the party Sunday..
    Today is Ladies day out for Zina's birthday .. going to Lunch and to a play.. dropping Chester at the Groomers and then picking him up..around 10:30 Mary is picking me up at 11 and we will get home around 4:30 or so..
    Barbie~ thank you again for keeping us together.. you are a GEM xoxox
  • want8me9bk
    want8me9bk Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Hello Ladies, I would love to participate in a group that actually posts!!! :-) Ill try to follow along with how it works so bear with me. !!
    My goals for September are to get back into exercising (Ive been out with a broken ankle) and to LOG, LOG,LOG!
    Im keeping the goals small because if I make too many I may not meet them all.
    I really look forward to this and I hope you all have a fantastic Thursday!!!
  • pipcd34
    Options