September (2016) Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @mom3over40 I started running because I wasn't going to let pain define my life. I'll do it again. :wink:

Thanks for the well wishes.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @kristinegift that sounds like a VERY wise choice on your part. Good luck!
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    With 13 days until my race, I'm trying to decide when to start my taper. Including the mileage for my cutback weeks, I've averaged 35 MPW this cycle, so I am pretty confident I built the stamina for the race by now, but I'm new enough to be a bit nervious about tapering for too long, or cutting too many miles.

Last cycle, I tapered for 2 weeks, with pretty sharp drops in mileage. I'm debating just doing a 1 week taper this time, with keeping my miles in the mid 30mpw range this week, and actually taking 2-3 full days off before the race next week.

Last time around I was just trying to finish, this time I am going for a faster goal time. Any advice on how to best taper so I can be in top shape for the race?
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    Options
    @_nikkiwolf_ Congrats on such a great race. Sounds they they took pretty good care of the runners on this one.

I had a nice run this morning. Changing out my shoes and adding a pre-run stretch my daughter showed me seems to have made a big difference with my left knee. I barely noticed it hurting at all during my run. ;) I'm still just adding about .15-.3 miles per week to my long run to be on the safe side which should get me to a 10K in time for the race on Nov. 19. I'm also adding small amounts on my weekday runs.

09/01 – Unplanned Rest Day but swam 45 minutes this afternoon (too hot here to run)
    09/02 – 3 miles – Pretty slow pace but faster than last run and AVG HR only 139
    09/03 – 1.3 miles around basketball court at gym + 90 min strength training
    09/04 – 4 miles, middle two faster, AVG HR 148
    09/05 – Party Day
    09/06 – 3.26 miles – AVG HR 149……….one hill
    09/07 – 90 minutes of strength training
    09/08 – Rest day
    09/09 – 3.3 miles – AVG HR 146, HIGH HR 160 during hill run
    09/10 – 1.3 miles after strength training
    09/11 – 4.16 mile run – Ran middle 2 miles at tempo – AVG HR 147

exercise.png

• katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    Great job @_nikkiwolf_ !!!! So awesome to get your PR stretch goal and all those PRs for the intermediate distances. You killed it, despite the heat! Well done.

9/11: 5.43 miles running, about 1.8 miles walking

OK, the plan was to run from my hotel in Cambridge across Boston and over the the Seaport/South Boston area and back as an easy run and to catch some scenery and ocean breezes along the way. Started out okay but then was having some of the same pains as on Friday (IT band, maybe?) so after 2.2 miles I dropped it to a walk. I decided that I had gone far enough along the seaport so turned around and then made a coffee stop. I intended to just walk back from there. (Aside: the coffee place was very nice! Kind of my dream coffee shop with books and a beautiful coffee bar).

I revived a bit after that and after walking a bit more felt loosened up enough to try running again. Ran a very easy pace (although Strava seems to think I ran some kind of miracle pace for the first mile, I assure you I did not manage a 7:57 mile) and even decided to detour and see a few more sites. I managed to get a bit lost in the North End and then it started to rain. Crap! I finally consulted my GPS map and also about that time recognized where I was (uh - Mike's Pastry where I bought cannolis yesterday) and got myself on track and ran back home.

All in all, ran about 5.43 miles with some stops and starts. I figure it was all good practice for toughing it out on race day, including potentially running in the rain.

I'm taking the next two days as rest days, as my work meetings and travel won't leave any time to run and I will nurse my sore leg. This afternoon I have a glorious massage scheduled and will have her work on that area as well.

Finished the week with about 29 miles and am at 46.5 for the month. Over halfway to goal!

exercise.png

• lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    @ebonibabe1 -Great job on the 3.24! Is that a mileage PR?
    @RunRachelRunnn - that might not be what people are usually talking about when referring to "junk miles", but you are definitely right. I usually try to avoid running in that zone.
    @RespectTheKitty -LOL on the glasses. I wear glasses too, but never when I run. I don't see great, if fact, I have been known to wave high to a mailbox or two, but I get by. I despise running with my glasses on!
    @MNLittleFinn - Great run. I would say that if you are able to comfortably run negative splits and not be tired at the end of the run, then you are not running too fast. You are probably just getting faster. We always talk about what running in the heat and humidity does for your conditioning. Well, there's your evidence. Not sure where your HR zones fall (165 would be super high for me, but I am old!), but if you are able to maintain it, then great. And FWIW, I am of the opinion that you can't overstate the value of a good taper. When in doubt, leave it out.
    @katharmonic -Lovely run along the Charles. Last time I was in Boston I was in a taper and it was a rest day. I was so jealous of all of the runners along the river. Lovely place to run!
    @ccontr11 -104? Ouch!
    @BasicGreatGuy -31 mile training run...pfft. LOL
    @_nikkiwolf_ -Congrats on the PR! You run some CRAZY elevations. No doubt that helps!
    @5512bf -Fantastic run today! I think you are in great shape for you marathon.
  • lporter229
    Options
    Sept 1-5.9 miles + 0.6 miles with puppy
    Sept 2-7.5 miles
    Sept 3- 14 hilly miles
    Sept 4-rest day-long hike
    Sept 5-4.0 miles + 0.6 miles with Stella
    Sept 6-8.0 miles w/ cruise intervals
    Sept 7- rest day (because I needed it!)
    Sept 8- 6 miles hills
    Sept 9- 4.4 miles dreadmill speed work AM+ 3.0 miles recovery PM
    Sept 10-3.8 miles
    Sept 11-11.1 miles

I decided against doing the 10K last night for a couple of reasons. Thunderstorms all evening right up to race time being the main reason. A nagging hamstring being the second. Since I wasn't pre-registered and I wasn't sure what the weather was going to do, I decided to skip it which turned out being a good idea. I did a run around my neighborhood after the storms cleared out and I actually cut it short because my hamstring was really bothering me.

I was a little nervous about how the hammy would hold out for my planned 10 miles this morning. But a break in the weather (66F w/ 73% humidity) provided lovely running conditions and this run truly felt like heaven. Got to see some of the fruits of my labor from running in the deplorable conditions of this summer. An 8:25 average pace felt super easy. I did not wear my HRM, but I'm pretty sure the average HR was in the 130s. Felt so good, I even added a fast finish extra mile.
  • ebonibabe1
    ebonibabe1 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    @RunRachelRunnn - that might not be what people are usually talking about when referring to "junk miles", but you are definitely right. I usually try to avoid running in that zone.
    @RespectTheKitty -LOL on the glasses. I wear glasses too, but never when I run. I don't see great, if fact, I have been known to wave high to a mailbox or two, but I get by. I despise running with my glasses on!
    @MNLittleFinn - Great run. I would say that if you are able to comfortably run negative splits and not be tired at the end of the run, then you are not running too fast. You are probably just getting faster. We always talk about what running in the heat and humidity does for your conditioning. Well, there's your evidence. Not sure where your HR zones fall (165 would be super high for me, but I am old!), but if you are able to maintain it, then great. And FWIW, I am of the opinion that you can't overstate the value of a good taper. When in doubt, leave it out.
    @katharmonic -Lovely run along the Charles. Last time I was in Boston I was in a taper and it was a rest day. I was so jealous of all of the runners along the river. Lovely place to run!
    @ccontr11 -104? Ouch!
    @_nikkiwolf_ -Congrats on the PR! You run some CRAZY elevations. No doubt that helps!

Yes, for a road run. I've done more on the treadmill in the past, but, I don't count those.
    I just started the C25K, hopefully for the last time, and I would like to do my first 5K in November.
  • BasicGreatGuy
    BasicGreatGuy Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    @ccontr11 -104? Ouch!
    Why is my training run funny? Being a ultra runner, it is not uncommon for me to run that kind of distance in training.
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    Why is my training run funny? Being a ultra runner, it is not uncommon for me to run that kind of distance in training.
    If it was me it would be a LOL, holy crap, I wish I could run that far kind of thing. Awesome run.
  • lporter229
    Options
    @BasicGreatGuy - Not funny at all. Impressive, rather. I was being sarcastic with the "pfft", as if it's nothing...
  • BasicGreatGuy
    BasicGreatGuy Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    @BasicGreatGuy - Not funny at all. Impressive, rather. I was being sarcastic with the "pfft", as if it's nothing...
    Thanks for clarifying. Sometimes it is hard to tell a person's intent on the internet. I appreciate the compliment from you and LittleFinn.
  • ariceroni
    ariceroni Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    @MobyCarp - thanks for such an informative write up of registering for Boston! I still haven't ran a marathon yet, but I definitely have my eye on Boston in the distant future
    @Stoshew71 - very informative blog post! I sent a link to my mom because she has always accused me of running too many "junk miles" even though I have insisted there is benefit to it
    @Elise4270 thanks for the link! I'm almost through my Believe journal so this new one should come at just the right time
    @kristinegift - Sounds like a really great idea to take the HM a little on the easier side. Take in the scenery, have a lot of fun, and just enjoy being able to run!
    @_nikkiwolf_ WOOHOO! That is huge! Congratulations

Took thursday off because my shin was feeling a tiny bit tender after my elliptical/brisk walk on wednesday. Was pain free again on friday so I did some bike intervals (really got my HR up!) and then walked (nice and leisurely) in the evening to pick up my race packet for saturday's HM that I was not going to be running. I was kind of sad all day, and almost burst into tears when the nice gentleman at packet pick-up said "good luck on your race tomorrow!". It is ok though, I will get through this injury and come back stronger, smarter, and more motivated than before.
    I finally made it to my school's pool yesterday and it was SO FUN to swim laps! I grew up in FL (St. Pete) and went swimming 3-4 times a week as a kid. I haven't been in a pool/water since moving to Chicago 7 years ago but I took to it like a duck takes to water :lol: I also finally gave deep water running/aqua jogging a try. It was soooo boring though so I did 8-9 minutes at a time and broke it up with more laps. I ended up swimming 2.5 km in all, and water ran for 25 minutes. The water running definitely got my HR up a lot more than swimming laps did! And I only felt a little bit goofy doing it... I would 100% recommend it to injured runners, just know that it is going to be a struggle mentally if you don't have something to break up the monotony.

8/06: bike- 5 min easy, 10x(2 min hard/1 min easy), 5 min easy + core
    8/07: 30 min steady state, elliptical + 6.5 min walk (3.4 mph) + core
    8/09: bike - 5 min easy, 6x(4 min hard/2 min easy), 5 min easy + 1.3 mile walk (leisurely)
    8/10: 2.5 km swim + 25 minutes deep water running interspersed + core
  • RunRachelleRun
    RunRachelleRun Posts: 1,854 Member
    Options
    @_nikkiwolf_ Congratulations! Sounds like it was tough and you did amazing!

@5512bf Wow, impressive runs. I saw you went at goal pace today and that is something I'm often wondering about. Should I be attempting a long run at goal pace before the actual race? Or something close to it? How will I know I can do the HM at such a fast pace otherwise? Feels like an impossible task at the moment.

@katharmonic Sorry to hear about your pain. Enjoy your massage (I can't seem to find one around here open on a Sunday or I would totally be getting one myself once in a while)!

@lporter229 Fantastic run. I also did a fast finish mile today but it was scheduled and a struggle - not because I felt so great I wanted to lol I look forward to having days like that in the future!
  • RunRachelleRun
    RunRachelleRun Posts: 1,854 Member
    Options
    Sep 1 - 2.98 miles (aerobic)
    Sep 2 - 2.1 miles (short intervals)
    Sep 3 - 2.13 miles (recovery)
    Sep 4 - 11.67 miles (long)
    Sep 5 - rest
    Sep 6 - 3.39 miles (aerobic)
    Sep 7 - 2.65 miles (long intervals)
    Sep 8 - 6 miles (aerobic)
    Sep 9 - 2.84 miles (short intervals)
    Sep 10 - 4.01 miles (recovery)
    Sep 11 - 9.94 miles (w/u, alternating miles by pace goal/heart rate, last mile fast finish)

Total: 47.71 / 100 miles
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    9/1 - 4
    9/3 - 4.2
    9/6 - 2.5
    9/7 - 4
    9/8 - 4.2
    9/10 - 5.1
    9/11 - 6 (Distance PR! Yay!)

Beautiful day today - was able to get out earlier than usual. 71 degrees at start with very low humidity and lots of sun. I told myself, if I could go six miles today, then I can take a rest day tomorrow. The last mile was slower than the proverbial turtle in peanut butter, but I made it six miles!

Hoping everyone who's racing today has a great one! I should be receiving my Blerch kit soon, and then I can do my virtual 5k. As soon as I get my next paycheck I'm going to sign up for the Arboretum virtual race too.

And just like that, I'm halfway to goal. Time to go watch football!

exercise.png