Detox drinks

Options
Hi I'm wondering if anyone makes homemade detox drinks & do they really help you to lose weight?

I've heard that the lemon & cucumber one is good?

Replies

• JDixon852019
    JDixon852019 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Just drink water
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    No such thing as "detox" in the way you're thinking about it.

Just eat at a calorie deficit, exercise, and stay hydrated. That's all you need.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,933 Member
    Options
    I like lemon-ginger tea ... especially if my stomach is feeling just a little unsettled. :)

I like cucumbers ... especially well salted with cottage cheese. That's my favourite after-work snack. :)

And I like a tall glass of cold water ... especially mid-afternoon when I'm kind of dozing at work. :)

But do I think they're going to "detox" anything? Nope. I just like them because they settle my stomach, taste good, or give me a bit of a boost by hydrating me.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    Kidneys and liver detox.

Water infused with fruits and veggies is a beverage.

End of story.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    I don't think you should be trying this at home alone.

http://www.quitalcohol.com/guides/top-10-alcohol-treatment-centers.html
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    DaisyChain wrote:
    I'm wondering if anyone makes homemade detox drinks & do they really help you to lose weight?
    What toxins are you hoping to remove from your body? (Specific names like "dihydrogen monoxide", or "sodium bicarbonate", not vague general woo statements.)
    Why do you think your body won't get rid of those on its own, if those things are so bad for health?
    Why do you think drinking or eating anything specific (beyond perhaps more water or fiber) will help?

The answer to the second part of your question is no.
    (Other than that if you're drinking low-calorie fluids instead of eating regular foods, you'll be taking in fewer calories.)
    Losing weight is a matter of eating fewer calories than your body needs to run.
    It has nothing to do with the source of the power.

If you need 1500 calories of power for the day, according to the MFP database you could get that from:
    16 tablespoons of peanut butter
    OR
    28 Oreos
    OR
    about 3 Big Macs (database says they're 550 cals each)
    OR
    36 ounces of boneless skinless baked chicken breast
    OR
    256 ounces (16 pounds) of zucchini
    OR
    a balanced diet with a wide variety of foods from all food groups ... which is best for health

To lose weight, eat less than 1500 cal/day.
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Water
  • DaisyChain80
    DaisyChain80 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice...drink plenty of water, work out & eat under 1200 calories a day......hope it works
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,933 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice...drink plenty of water, work out & eat under 1200 calories a day......hope it works

Do not eat under 1200 calories a day.

Right.

• bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options

Where did you get this advice from? I controled F this mother, and yours is the only post that mentions 1200 calories and then you went and said to eat under that.

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

Do not eat under 1200 calories a day.

This^

1200 with zero exercise is MFP's default minimum. Unless you are very petite or elderly even that number is very low.

Adding exercise (without more food) makes your deficit larger. It helps you lose "weight" faster....but that's often at the expense of a higher % of lean muscle loss. If you are working out to keep existing lean muscle......then you need more fuel to back that up.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Well this escalated quickly. From detox water to undereating? How are those two things your options?
  • DaisyChain80
    Options
    Mfp has told me to eat 1200 calories a day.....So many judgemental people on here!!
  • DaisyChain80
    Options
    I am quite petite I'm 5ft @TeaBea
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I am quite petite I'm 5ft @TeaBea

@DaisyChain80 But you said eat under 1200 not eat 1200