Is maintaining weight, just as hard as losing weight?

Options

Replies

• STLBADGIRL
    STLBADGIRL Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    VT802VT wrote: »
    Depends on how much you lose, if its a lot, your metabolism will be extremely low making it hard to maintain. Every watched the biggest loser? Most contestants lost so much weight, but gained it back because working out every day didnt do the trick, seemed like anything over 1000 calories just turned to fat so they had to eat very little and exercises a lot to keep the weight off until their metabolism adjusted to their new weight, but most didnt get that far. For people only losing 20-50 pounds it shouldnt be as bad.

I love the Biggest Loser....Its always my goal to lose weight with them...and weigh in with them....lol... I'm a big dreamer though. But I want to lose 40 more lbs so I'm hoping I will not be affected by this...
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,197 MFP Moderator
    Options
    For me maintenance is both easier and harder than losing. I've been maintaining for 2 years, and this summer I relaxed my weight-watch and partied a bit harder (meaning I ate and drank a bit more) than I should have. Now the kids are back to school, life is settling back into a routine, and I realized that I'm about 3 pounds outside of my fairly wide maintenance range, which means I need to lose about 8 pounds to get to the mid-point of that range again. The ability to lose focus a bit and be a little less restrictive is awesome and makes things easier if you've taught yourself better nutritional/fitness habits. But this is a double-edged sword. It's also easy to lose focus. I'm back to weight-loss NOW before those extra 3 pounds turn into a pants-size. :)
  • STLBADGIRL
    Options
    JustSomeEm wrote: »
    For me maintenance is both easier and harder than losing. I've been maintaining for 2 years, and this summer I relaxed my weight-watch and partied a bit harder (meaning I ate and drank a bit more) than I should have. Now the kids are back to school, life is settling back into a routine, and I realized that I'm about 3 pounds outside of my fairly wide maintenance range, which means I need to lose about 8 pounds to get to the mid-point of that range again. The ability to lose focus a bit and be a little less restrictive is awesome and makes things easier if you've taught yourself better nutritional/fitness habits. But this is a double-edged sword. It's also easy to lose focus. I'm back to weight-loss NOW before those extra 3 pounds turn into a pants-size. :)

Very good insight. Also I never thought about having a range to stay within...I love that idea. Thanks for sharing @JustSomeEm
  • STLBADGIRL
    Options
    What's also liberating is seeing so many people that reached their goal that they are even in maintenance... For a long time I thought it was only a few that met goal....lol...
  • CincyNeid
    CincyNeid Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    I lost roughly 109 pounds between June of 2014 {326 pounds} and June of 2015 {217 pounds}. I've been maintaining since then.

Maintaining is much much much much harder than losing.
  • N1keS0cc8rRunne7
    N1keS0cc8rRunne7 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    ^ I agree...I went from 250lbs to about 175 (rather quickly I may add)... i'm constantly hitting the low to mid 180's and going back down to the 170's again--when I should be aiming for the 150's...it's a real challenge for me...Maintaining is HARD, no DOUBT about it!
  • fabulousmo
    fabulousmo Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    i love this thread.

for me, maintaining has been more difficult for just about all the reasons listed above.

nice to know i am in good company!

i'm just back from a 9 day vacation involving "all you can eat and drink" cruise option - so i'm up 5 lbs and determined as ever to go back to "maintenance" weight. whether it's water weight gain from increased sodium intake or pure fat, it was worth it, and that's life!

i feel like when you're doing all sorts of research on which method of losing weight may work best for you, the focus is 100% on the process of loss instead of how you're going to think/feel/behave once you get there.

before my vacation, i felt old habits creeping in. i got lazy with logging, thinking i knew what 4 oz of pork loin looked like, etc. i think that sets me up for slow weight gain. the weighing/logging keeps me accountable.

so yeah, more difficult for me, because once the fanfare of hitting that goal weight died - you just don't have as much momentum/motivation to keep up with the logging so critical to keeping on your daily goal.

good luck, everyone! you are an inspiration to me
  • STLBADGIRL
    Options
    CincyNeid wrote: »
    I lost roughly 109 pounds between June of 2014 {326 pounds} and June of 2015 {217 pounds}. I've been maintaining since then.

Maintaining is much much much much harder than losing.

Geez.... @cinc did you have to type that many "much's"?????
  • ajsutter0396
    ajsutter0396 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I've been at 'maintenance' for three months after losing 45 pounds. It's definitely a big adjustment. I'd made the investment to workout with a trainer at a specialty gym that's all one-on-one but couldn't afford that indefinitely. I gave myself three months to get used to being able to eat increased calories and have now switched to a 'box' gym. My current challenge is developing a good workout routine. Having a set appointment with a trainer I'd paid so much for really helped me stay accountable. I did my first class today - Les Mills Body Pump. I'm going to be hurting tomorrow! I think I'll do better if I plan one or two weeks ahead what/when my workouts will be.
  • joowelz
    joowelz Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I actually feel maintaining was easier. The reward was fitting into clothes nicely and being able to say proudly "I am 150 lbs" versus 180 ashamedly. I must have maintained for a few years before my life priorities changed and tracking my weight was no longer important. That's when my weight creeped up from 150 to 180 lbs DESPITE weekly jogging. It really is 80%nutrition, 20% exercise. :(
  • kmahent
    kmahent Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Maintaining seems to be harder than loosing. Looking for some practical tips.
  • jrwms714
    jrwms714 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    People tend to think of reaching their goal weight or whatever as crossing some kind of finish line. The reality is that you've just arrived at the starting line of the real race. People think they're done...but they're actually just beginning. They are finished losing weight...so they slack on their nutrition. People so closely relate exercise to losing weight that they fail to set independent fitness goals and they slack on their fitness and/or drop it altogether when they're done losing weight. These are the things that lead to putting all that weight back on.

It's not hard per sei...but people for the most part fail to truly make a "lifestyle change"....and really, maintenance is where that change comes through. Lifestyle change isn't about logging or keeping a diary or whatever. Ultimately, long term success is only sustainable when you make nutrition central to your dietary eating habits. You ultimately have to live a life that is fitness centric. Your nutrition and fitness have to be your new lifestyle and this is where pretty much everyone fails (about 95% of the population).

The only difference between losing an maintaining is a few hundred calories...that's it. You still have to rock your nutrition and rock your fitness. Failure to do so will ultimately lead to putting your weight back on. Hopefully you've spent some time while you were losing to really learn how to eat...learn portion control and moderation rather than deprivation as they are ultimately pretty necessary tools for maintenance.

YES. This. 2 years into maintenance, 5 years told since began 35+ lb. weight loss. Losing and maintenance pretty easy due to the quote above. Maintenance is not even maintenance. It's just living.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,070 Member
    Options
    I don't think of maintenance as harder or easier - either one is just a process I need to stick with over the long haul in order to achieve my goals.

During weight loss, it was a matter of tracking calories, nutrition & activity, adjusting to keep the weight trending down.

In maintenance, I get more calories (yay!), and I need to track calories, nutrition & activity in order to stay in my goal weight range (for me, goal weight plus or minus 3 pounds, which encompasses normal daily fluctuations).

Psychologically, it might have been harder to maintain, but I learned a lot during weight loss about how to eat in a healthful way while staying full, energetic & happy. That learning is serving me well in maintenance.

Granted, it's early times - I've only been maintaining for 6-7 months. But it's going just fine so far.
  • STLBADGIRL
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I don't think of maintenance as harder or easier - either one is just a process I need to stick with over the long haul in order to achieve my goals.

During weight loss, it was a matter of tracking calories, nutrition & activity, adjusting to keep the weight trending down.

In maintenance, I get more calories (yay!), and I need to track calories, nutrition & activity in order to stay in my goal weight range (for me, goal weight plus or minus 3 pounds, which encompasses normal daily fluctuations).

Psychologically, it might have been harder to maintain, but I learned a lot during weight loss about how to eat in a healthful way while staying full, energetic & happy. That learning is serving me well in maintenance.

Granted, it's early times - I've only been maintaining for 6-7 months. But it's going just fine so far.

congrats for maintaining for 7 months. And that's a good word....learn as much as possible about weightloss, etc., to help with maintaining.
  • STLBADGIRL
    Options
    divcara wrote: »
    My habits have been fairly easy to maintain and not gain weight, but mentally sometimes it is harder without a challenge. When I was determined to lose 60+ pounds, I made it my mission. I had a laser focus on the goal and enjoyed the process of getting there. Now some days it's like....now what?? I try to set more performance type fitness goals now, like a 5k time or plank time, or...anything. But it's sometimes harder to find that same pure determination, drive, and motivation from deep within without a pressing goal.

Somewhere in the process I started to actually enjoy exercise instead of it just being a chore to drop weight. I feel better when I go. Now I enjoy working out, cooking, eating fairly clean, being more active, even becoming a morning person, don't really miss the alcohol. So it hasn't felt that "hard" to maintain habits or weight. I'm eating more than ever because my metabolism is so ramped up and don't feel deprived. I indulge here and there without stressing it or weighing myself every day. But I do feel like I lost a little of that "fight" in me to get at it and attack new goals without having more pounds to lose.

This is awesome, reading that somewhere you picked up loving to exercise and all the other good healthy things that go with lifestyle. Thanks for sharing. I am taking notes from all of you!!!!
  • divcara
    divcara Posts: 79 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    @STLBADGIRL - Thank you! I think that was actually one of the most interesting things about these past 18 months. I had never exercised before or ever enjoyed working out. I would join gyms and never go. I think I took one spin class and walked out after 10 minutes. Or I would typically try one class, be so out of shape that I would physically not be able to do it, feel horrible, self-conscious, hate it, and never go back again. When I got serious about losing weight last year, one of my friends said, "You have to just be willing to suck for awhile." It ended up being good advice. I kind of relaxed about my starting point and stopped comparing myself to people who had been at this for years. I was not in shape, I was so de-conditioned. My heart rate went up to 172 in the first 3 minutes. Working out was NOT fun or enjoyable. But I stuck with it. Consistently. Feet to the floor, just gotta do it.

And then you start seeing the progression. And one day you're running a minute longer than you could the day before. Or lifting a weight you couldn't even pick up a month ago. Or feeling your core now strong enough to support you for an exercise instead of sagging. And realizing you don't need to do the modification anymore. Now I can barely get my heart rate up to 172, even with intense exercise. A group fitness class is still always challenging, but you get stronger. And it becomes fun to attack new goals or reach new milestones you never thought possible. Now it is my stress relief, my adrenaline burn, my therapy, something I genuinely look forward to doing.

I've also found the more I challenge my body and the more it performs for me, the more motivated I am to fuel it, take care of it, give it good nutrition, get recovery sleep. I went from someone who ordered (not healthy!) takeout every single night to cooking, and trying new things, and being creative in the kitchen.

And I think surrounding yourself with like-minded, supportive, positive people makes a huge difference too. People who inspire to be better, push harder, help others. In all aspects of life, not just health and fitness. I think with enough consistency, somewhere along the way healthy changes shift from feeling strenuous, uncomfortable, unappealing - to habits and routines that make you feel good, energetic, capable..and then it spirals.
  • N1keS0cc8rRunne7
    N1keS0cc8rRunne7 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    kmahent wrote: »
    Maintaining seems to be harder than loosing. Looking for some practical tips.

LOSING********
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Why, yes. Yes it is. You still have to count calories. You still have to work out hard and often. You're not really doing anything differently from weight loss except you get more calories. How many more depends on gender, age, and body size. For me it's...

wait for it....

A WHOPPING 200 MORE! *throws confetti*

So basically for some people it just entails being reasonable; for others it's restriction for life. As a man, you are probably going to be on the less restrictive end of things.
  • dn0pes
    dn0pes Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    STLBADGIRL wrote: »
    I ask because I want to know what I am in for once I reach goal? Please share your story.
    I don't think so - I've been at my target weight for the last 6 months - Just grateful to get there, No more fat me...