INTERMITTENT FASTING - A LIFESTYLE MAKEOVER

Options

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Id love to try IF but my blood sugar is so unstable (hypoglycaemic). I eat at least once an hour- something small. There is no way I could ever cut out sweets either. I do eat more or less paleo- so no grains for me, which helps my IBS.

My husband eats once a day and then its a large meal. I can't eat much in one go- I end up feeling far too full and sick.

I do think there are health benefits to IF- but maybe its just not for me.

@Whitezombiegirl while I expect IF will work for most everyone however you are wise to fix any hypoglycaemic concerns first. I finally figured out losing weight was not going to happen in my case until I got my underlying health issues fixed that were leading to my obesity. Obesity is never the initial cause of overeating. We have to find the initial cause of eating wrong or we will will just yo yo weight wise. I did that for 40 years but have maintained at 200 for the last 18 months pigging out daily eating 2500 calories on the right macro.

Two years ago I thought there was no way I could ever cut out sweets but when looking my premature death risks with teenage kids at home I did cut out sweets two years ago and my premature death risks have dropped like a big rock. Humans can do all things physically/mentally possible with the right motivation. I would like to live to see grandkids and even great grandkids. :)

You are on a good track by being on MFP already. Best of success. Important things seldom are easy.
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    This is an interesting read on the subject. http://easacademy.org/trainer-resources/article/intermittent-fasting
    I think you will find that so long as you're in a caloric deficit you will lose weight and the methods including IF make really no difference scientifically to that. However if it works for you and gives you a way to manage your calories, go for it.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I first stumbled onto IF in an article about whether one could fend off Alzheimer's disease in part with dietary changes. The theory was that Alz was associated with insulin resistance in the brain and that IF improved insulin resistance, so maybe it could prevent cognitive decline. I have no idea if this theory is bunk or not and I have no ability or desire to defend it.

But, having encountered this way of eating for the first time, I decided to try it out and see if I could do it. I found that it was easy and solved some problems I had been having with hunger.

I continue to do it, but on the day after a very long bike ride or after a night of poor sleep I feel especially hungry early in the day, so I follow a more conventional eating schedule on those days.

I think with alzheimer's there are a lot of theories and preliminary research. But nothing has been confirmed or at least adopted by the alzheimer's association.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    @EvgeniZyntx is the last person I would think of trying to sabotage another MFPer's plans. He tries to help people sort out fact from fiction when it comes to nutrition and weight management.

He gives sound, balanced advice. To my knowledge, he's never claimed to be a medical authority to lend his advice more weight than is warranted. He refers to solid sources of research to back up the advice he gives when necessary. He represents the type of poster MFP needs more of and is increasingly more scarce.

Well said. Cosigned on all counts.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    booncey wrote: »
    I started it a week ago and it is definitely working for me too. I'm not sure what exactly is working, but I believe cutting out the carbs is the huge kicker. I start my eating window at 12pm and eat high protein, some fat, and vegetables for 2 meals and a few snacks of nuts or cheese if I have cravings in between my two meals. I have a banana with peanut butter to end my eating window at 8pm and don't eat again until 12pm the next day. The banana is really the only carb I consume during a weekday. My trainer did tell me to have a cheat meal on the weekend, which is something to look forward to and keeps me on track during the week. I have only done 40 minutes of cardio last week and lost 5 pounds on this diet. I don't really think it is water weight either. I am 42 and within my normal weight range...but out of shape, so I'm sure that there is some scientific backing..especially for us women. Hormones are evil at times and can totally slow your metabolism to a halt. A few months ago, I had started on a daily workout plan for a solid month and reduced calories and did not lose a single pound. I lost my motivation. It's crazy how one week on this diet has jump-started my weightloss.

There are several reasons why you lost 5 lbs the first week; you decreased carbs which depletes glycogen/water, you probably consumed less calories which means modifications to sodium (generally) and a reduction in calories would reduce waste in your GI system. But there is some fat loss if you achieved a deficit. The biggest being modifications to carbs.

Hormones wont slow a metabolism to a halt but it can slow it a bit. But in all reality, most people find a way to achieve a deficit where the previously could not.