Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

The expensive price of fruit in UK.

Options
delboy604
delboy604 Posts: 116 Member
Something needs to be done to reduce price of healthy foods.

Replies

• LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    subsidise the cost with higher television license fees m8
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Learn to farm.
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    Everytime I travel and come back to the states I don't complain about our prices here anymore!
  • PennWalker
    PennWalker Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    dkabambe wrote: »
    Totally free!!

8ml50pkheaad.jpg

I'm living off blackberries, apples and pears at the moment since I can get all for free within 15 minutes walk of my house, but in general I do agree - sometimes is cheaper to eat junk than eat healthy!

I'm jealous. What a gorgeous photo!
  • vegmebuff
    vegmebuff Posts: 31,389 Member
    Options
    delboy604 wrote: »

What are some of the average prices? I am curious what you might pay

• bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    So fruit is the only healthy food? There are no other healthy foods available in the UK?
  • JoshuaMcAllister
    JoshuaMcAllister Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    LazSommer wrote: »
    subsidise the cost with higher television license fees m8

Are you mad? We already get robbed from this outdated tax.

Subsidies should come from the new sugar tax recently introduced, one of the reason it had been set up I believe. Beyond that the taxing of junk food, and unhealthy fast foods would be far more viable.
  • JoshuaMcAllister
    JoshuaMcAllister Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    So fruit is the only healthy food? There are no other healthy foods available in the UK?

Where does it say this?
  • chapiano
    chapiano Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Agree with above, fresh fruit and veg in the supermarkets are very reasonable I think.
  • Derpy_Hooves
    Derpy_Hooves Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Lidl and Aldi do brilliant weekly deals. Seasonal fruit is very reasonable and frozen fruit is perfectly fine too if you'd be looking for berries in winter...!
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Food will be tend expensive in the UK. Short growing season, not the best soil. The UK only produces about 60% of the food it uses. Supply and demand, simple economics

The US on thr other hand exports about 1/3 of the food it produces.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    OMG, I saw that picture of those blackberries and apples and was SO envious! Then I went for a walk in the park, and now my belly is filled with blackberries and apples!

Fruit is quite cheap where I live, almost always good quality, and in great variety, so that's not why I nick fruit in parks :D
  • zyxst
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »

Where does it say this?

Thread title: The expensive price of fruit in UK

OP post: Something needs to be done to reduce price of healthy foods.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    chapiano wrote: »
    Agree with above, fresh fruit and veg in the supermarkets are very reasonable I think.

Agreed - just had some strawberries from Sainsbury. Delicious!

Give some examples OP and maybe people can suggest alternatives....
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    delboy604 wrote: »

You need to shop around, I find lots of fruit for less than £1. Buy frozen which last longer or dried fruit.
    zyxst wrote: »
    Learn to farm.

I'm thinking that would be more expensive, especially if you don't own any land or a garden. You would have to pay for the land/allotment, pay for tools and any other equipment, the seeds and then there's the time and up keep.
  • zyxst
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Believe it or not I read the title and post, nowhere does it states in either of those comments that "So fruit is the only healthy food? There are no other healthy foods available in the UK?"

Poor attempt at being funny? I'd say so, nothing to contribute why bother posting?

If you don't like the answer, ask a better question.

The implication that fruit is the only healthy food is there. I tend to read between the lines as well as the lines themselves. Fruit can't be the only "expensive" "healthy" food in the U.K., so why single it out?
  • JillyBeans02201
    Options
    It's tough to find good prices on fresh produce. What about canned fruits (in juice or water) or frozen? Is that an option?