Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

The expensive price of fruit in UK.

Options

Replies

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    delboy604 wrote: »
    Something needs to be done to reduce price of healthy foods.

What are you finding expensive besides fruit? What kind of fruit is expensive? Where are you buying it? What type of area do you live in? Do you have any ideas on how to reduce food costs?

Where I live there are farms where you can go and pick fruit and pay less than at the store as well as farmer's markets or stands for fruits, vegetables, eggs, honey and meats. I guess both cases you are buying locally grown, in season and direct from the farmer and it is a bit cheaper.
    Some people do food co-ops.
    Some people do garden on a small or large scale.
    There is a community garden in my town and others nearby headed up by a group trying to promote more access to healthy foods. I believe they get a grant from the government to help pay for supplies and people who want to have a garden patch can grow what they want.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    Believe it or not I read the title and post, nowhere does it states in either of those comments that "So fruit is the only healthy food? There are no other healthy foods available in the UK?"

Poor attempt at being funny? I'd say so, nothing to contribute why bother posting?

If you don't like the answer, ask a better question.

The implication that fruit is the only healthy food is there. I tend to read between the lines as well as the lines themselves. Fruit can't be the only "expensive" "healthy" food in the U.K., so why single it out?

I also read between the lines, In his first statement "expensive food price in the UK" is obviously the main reason he felt the need to start the thread, within that he comments "Something needs to be done to reduce price of healthy foods" which I assume he has used as the basis for a conversation. I fail to see the implication that fruit is the the ONLY expensive healthy food.

Each to their own I guess. Like I said before, nothing to contribute why post? That'll be your 3rd BS post with no real contribution to the discussion.

Okay, so the OP says: "something needs to be done to reduce the price of healthy food."

Obvious response: "why? Healthy food seems to me to be pretty cheap." (This is true, at least where I live in the US.)

OP's predicted response: "no, like I said, fruit is expensive where I live in the UK."

That's what zyxst was responding to, spelled out.

But if you don't think that's a fair reading, we are left with the question: why does something need to be done to reduce the price of healthy food and what is that something? I'd say it makes more sense to let the market drive the price of food and then subsidize those who need help to afford them.
  • chapiano
    chapiano Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    vegmebuff wrote: »

What are some of the average prices? I am curious what you might pay

I am curious on a comparison with the USA

Were I shop in the UK you can get for under 80p or 1$

6 apples
    5 bananas
    6 pears
    1 coconut
    6 kiwi
    8 plums
    5 peach/nectarine
    5 Bell peppers
    Mushrooms (1.7 cups)
    Sweet Potato (4.2 cups)
    Potato (8 cups)

or for under 75 cents; (In Cups)

Carrots 4.2
    Broccoli 1.4
    Bunch spring onion
    Bean sprouts 1.3
    Whole turnip
    Brown onion 4.2
    Parsnip 2.1
    Large Cabbage head
    Beetroot 1.3
    1 Aubergine
    Small swede
    6 tomato
    Whole cumber
    Whole lettuce head
    Bunch spring onion

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    Believe it or not I read the title and post, nowhere does it states in either of those comments that "So fruit is the only healthy food? There are no other healthy foods available in the UK?"

Poor attempt at being funny? I'd say so, nothing to contribute why bother posting?

If you don't like the answer, ask a better question.

The implication that fruit is the only healthy food is there. I tend to read between the lines as well as the lines themselves. Fruit can't be the only "expensive" "healthy" food in the U.K., so why single it out?

I also read between the lines, In his first statement "expensive food price in the UK" is obviously the main reason he felt the need to start the thread, within that he comments "Something needs to be done to reduce price of healthy foods" which I assume he has used as the basis for a conversation. I fail to see the implication that fruit is the the ONLY expensive healthy food.

Each to their own I guess. Like I said before, nothing to contribute why post? That'll be your 3rd BS post with no real contribution to the discussion.

Not to be nitpicky, but the person who originally stated "so fruit is the only healthy food" isn't the poster you are quoting here.

I also inferred the same from the thread title and original post and had a similar initial reaction, so I think asking the question "so fruit is the only healthy food" is actually a positive contribution to the discussion. Perhaps the OP hadn't thought about other nutrient dense options? Perhaps they didn't know that frozen fruits can be just as healthful as fresh, and often more economical and widely available as seasonality isn't a factor?

• Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    Aldi has cheap fruit and veg. Quality is fine
    Infact aldi has many cheap products
  • SciWhiz
    SciWhiz Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    chapiano wrote: »

6 apples
    5 bananas
    6 pears
    1 coconut
    6 kiwi
    8 plums
    5 peach/nectarine
    5 Bell peppers
    Mushrooms (1.7 cups)
    Sweet Potato (4.2 cups)
    Potato (8 cups)

Carrots 4.2
    Broccoli 1.4
    Bunch spring onion
    Bean sprouts 1.3
    Whole turnip
    Brown onion 4.2
    Parsnip 2.1
    Large Cabbage head
    Beetroot 1.3
    1 Aubergine
    Small swede
    6 tomato
    Whole cumber
    Whole lettuce head
    Bunch spring onion

These prices seem cheap to me! I would eat a lot more produce if that were the case.

Where I shop (in the USA) you can get 6 apples for $3
    Bananas are about 50 cents/pound
    Kiwi when in season are around 25 cents each
    Peachs and nectarines go for 59 cents/pound when in season. Much more than that other times of year.
    Yellow, orange, red bell peppers are $1.50, sometimes 89 cents on sale
    8 oz of bella mushrooms are $3
    Sweet potatos and regular potatoes range from 49cents/pound to 89cent/pound
    Carrots are about $1/pound
    Broccoli $1.50/pound
    Onions and cabbage are dirt cheap
    Iceberg lettuce and cabbage are cheap also
    Tomatoes range from 99cents/pound to $3/pound depending on the variety

These prices aren't even for organic produce.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

6 apples
    5 bananas
    6 pears
    1 coconut
    6 kiwi
    8 plums
    5 peach/nectarine
    5 Bell peppers
    Mushrooms (1.7 cups)
    Sweet Potato (4.2 cups)
    Potato (8 cups)

Carrots 4.2
    Broccoli 1.4
    Bunch spring onion
    Bean sprouts 1.3
    Whole turnip
    Brown onion 4.2
    Parsnip 2.1
    Large Cabbage head
    Beetroot 1.3
    1 Aubergine
    Small swede
    6 tomato
    Whole cumber
    Whole lettuce head
    Bunch spring onion

I'm quite impressed with these prices! I live in farm country in Oregon USA where they grow just about everything in the summer. One would think that would result in lower prices. Store prices are higher here for many items on your list even in season (some about double). Many fruit and veg are sold by weight rather than by the piece. For example:

Apples - $1.99 pound
    Broccoli - $1.59 pound
    Onions - 99c pound
    Grapes - $2.99 pound ($4.99 in winter)!

I do have a small garden to save money and so I can, freeze and dry my bounty. Many of my friends who live in apartments (flats to you Brits ;) ) do container gardening in the summer - lettuces, tomatoes, cucumbers, etc.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Price is an objective term; it's just a number - whether an item is expensive, is a subjective opinion. It has to do with how highly that item is valued by the individual. What constitutes "healthy" food is a matter of opinion. Foods can also be found at high prices and low prices, depending on where you look, and when, and what you look for.

Examples: I love fruit, so I buy a lot of it and don't find it expensive at all. I go for the cheapest that I find tempting. My neighbour hates fruit and think it's a waste of money, even though he has access to the same shops as I do. He would most likely even refuse free fruit. My posh friend only buys organic. To her, that markup is worth it. To me, it's a scam. My brother buys prepared food all the time, because he is busy and his time is valuable. I have a lot of spare time and I love to cook, so the "convenience" of readymeals doesn't appeal to me at all. My mother would buy "fresh" strawberries in January.

(And the concoction "expensive prices" is itself an abomination :# )
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

Omg I was just sayin this in the other discussion of should we tax sugar. Yes we should and lower price on fruit and veg

Maybe you should try shopping where this guy shops?

6 apples
    5 bananas
    6 pears
    1 coconut
    6 kiwi
    8 plums
    5 peach/nectarine
    5 Bell peppers
    Mushrooms (1.7 cups)
    Sweet Potato (4.2 cups)
    Potato (8 cups)

Carrots 4.2
    Broccoli 1.4
    Bunch spring onion
    Bean sprouts 1.3
    Whole turnip
    Brown onion 4.2
    Parsnip 2.1
    Large Cabbage head
    Beetroot 1.3
    1 Aubergine
    Small swede
    6 tomato
    Whole cumber
    Whole lettuce head
    Bunch spring onion

• upoffthemat
    upoffthemat Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    If those are your prices you are doing really good. I may be able to touch those prices two weeks a year where I live.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Aww mum I'm hungry oh ok just wait like 20 mins to deforst lol so funny
    Plus can't say Iv saw frozen apples oranges bananas what a ridiculous comment to be honest

It takes about 30sec to defrost a serving if you use a microwave. Do it at room temp, and you're talking 5-10min. Such an inconvenience.

As far as frozen fruit, there are frozen apple slices and frozen banana slices for sale (at least in the US). Oranges I've not seen, probably because there's so much liquid you might as well just freeze the juice. Banana slices are generally eaten frozen as a treat. Grapes, too.