Emotional Eaters and Food Addictions Area

Options

Replies

• txfyreflye
    txfyreflye Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    So yesterday and today I'm (so far) back on the wagon and downright proud of myself! Let me explain.

Like so many people over fifty, I was taught never to throw away food. I was told, as were so many, that I should eat all the food on my plate because children were starving in other lands. Once I asked my Mom (the world's best promoter of this nonsense) how my eating food helped children in other countries. A terse response: be grateful you have food!

I wasn't grateful. I didn't see how my lima beans helped those children. So, I put mine in an envelope, addressed it
    "to the children of China" and stuck it in the mailbox. The next day the mailman found it, gave it to my Mom, and giggled his way to the next house. I, on the other hand, got a spanking for being a rebellious child.

So yesterday I decided to use up a can of sweetened condensed milk before it went bad. I took some 100% cocoa squares, the syrupy goo in a can, and 1/2 cup confectioners sugar and tried to make fudge with it. Just an experiment. Chilled it for 3 hours and then decided to try it. Total and complete goop! So soft it was more like a thick spread than a fudge.

"Well, guess this is going byebye," I said.

"I'll eat it," said hubby, as he scarfed down a droopy chunk.

"Oh no you won't!" And I tossed it into the trash.

Me, the queen of thrift and lover of all things chocolate. I threw it away!!!!!!!!

And get this: I didn't feel at all guilty. Because I know what my Mom didn't seem to realize: my getting fat and unhealthy hasn't helped and won't help people in other countries.

So here's my challenge to me.

To help the starving children in other lands, I've decided to buy ONLY groceries that are necessary and, with the exception of special occasions like anniversaries and birthdays, stop eating out. Then take the eating out money I would've spent and send it to a reputable charity to help feed those in need.

Anyone with me?
  • jessica561
    jessica561 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I'm also an emotional eater, My husband was sick & out of work for 3 months & I gained about 20 lbs. I was stressing so much about bills, rent my car got repo cause they were Ahole couldn't work with us & to top that off school was starting in a few weeks which meant school shopping (uniforms & supplies) for 3 was tough. But we overcame it He's all better now back at work & im stress free (just a little). Now I can focus on me & lose these 30lbs!!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    txfyreflye wrote: »
    The bane of my existence is not planning ahead. I should've planned ahead for working and for eating at a meeting. Ugh!

Yeah, planning is such a help. When I started out I tried to take screw ups as a learning experience, not a reason to beat myself up, and would journal about what happened, and I quickly realized that planning ahead was so important when things got tough or you needed food and weren't home or got home late and tired or so on.

(I'm actually refocusing on all this now, for various reasons, and working on trying to get more intuitive in my eating.)
  • refuseresist
    refuseresist Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Has anyone been to a counsellor or support group for overeating?
    Thinking of trying
  • bwhitty67
    bwhitty67 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Hey all... :)
    As I've read it's been said many times... I overeat when it's something that tastes good. Or if I'm at a work event. Or at a family get together. Or if I'm bored. Or if a TV commercial has something in it that triggers a "oh that looks good" thought!

I had a lapband placed in 2010, my biggest realization was - I just broke up with my best friend - FOOD!
    I couldn't eat my usual loves like pasta, rice and breads and chips but sweets slid down like a dream! It was sad :(
    Fast forward almost 4 years my band slipped forcing me to have it removed. My usual go to foods like the bread, pasta etc didn't really come back but now I find I'm addicted to sweets! Like ice cream, cookies etc.
    I knew once my band was out I'd gain and I did because I felt sad for myself... Here came 20-30-40lbs crashing back!
    But here I am, fighting the fight again... I will win eventually.
  • txfyreflye
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    The bane of my existence is not planning ahead. I should've planned ahead for working and for eating at a meeting. Ugh!

Yeah, planning is such a help. When I started out I tried to take screw ups as a learning experience, not a reason to beat myself up, and would journal about what happened, and I quickly realized that planning ahead was so important when things got tough or you needed food and weren't home or got home late and tired or so on.

(I'm actually refocusing on all this now, for various reasons, and working on trying to get more intuitive in my eating.)

Sooooooo right!
    I also need to get some stuff around the house for sick days.
    Hubbin' isn't a cook (not unless you want to take your life in your hands lol) so I need to have easy cook stuff around.
  • txfyreflye
    Options
    Has anyone been to a counsellor or support group for overeating?
    Thinking of trying

I was going to a local group called over-eaters anonymous. It helped a lot but closed down.
  • txfyreflye
    Options
    bwhitty67 wrote: »
    Hey all... :)
    As I've read it's been said many times... I overeat when it's something that tastes good. Or if I'm at a work event. Or at a family get together. Or if I'm bored. Or if a TV commercial has something in it that triggers a "oh that looks good" thought!

I had a lapband placed in 2010, my biggest realization was - I just broke up with my best friend - FOOD!
    I couldn't eat my usual loves like pasta, rice and breads and chips but sweets slid down like a dream! It was sad :(
    Fast forward almost 4 years my band slipped forcing me to have it removed. My usual go to foods like the bread, pasta etc didn't really come back but now I find I'm addicted to sweets! Like ice cream, cookies etc.
    I knew once my band was out I'd gain and I did because I felt sad for myself... Here came 20-30-40lbs crashing back!
    But here I am, fighting the fight again... I will win eventually.

Hey, I start over every week it seems. Like you, I didn't always have a sweets addiction (craving crazy cake right now, in fact). But later on- post menopause and after becoming diabetic- I got the sugar bug big time!

I had thought about lap band and my ins. would pay for it but I am such a chicken about surgeries that I wimped out. Now I hear from a lot of people who've had it that theirs slipped. Also, thought about the other one- stomach staples? A friend did it a long time ago. She lost a ginormous amount of weight, had a ton of loose skin, then gained back the weight when they took the staples out and now she is 50 lb more than she was before AND has loose skin to boot!

You may want to get into splenda. Lotsa sweets with it now and its not toxic (contrary to the internet crap) or maybe stevia. My preferred.

• txfyreflye
    Options
    jessica561 wrote: »
    I'm also an emotional eater, My husband was sick & out of work for 3 months & I gained about 20 lbs. I was stressing so much about bills, rent my car got repo cause they were Ahole couldn't work with us & to top that off school was starting in a few weeks which meant school shopping (uniforms & supplies) for 3 was tough. But we overcame it He's all better now back at work & im stress free (just a little). Now I can focus on me & lose these 30lbs!!

You can do it and when you do, share with the rest of us your secrets ;)

• scgirlincolorado
    scgirlincolorado Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm blown away by all the comments and stories. I've always felt alone and so ashamed about my relationship with food and overeating. On the weekends, it's like a free for all. What are meal times? Every time I'm bored or sad or frustrated or depressed... or bored. Did I mention bored? Snacking as an olympic sport!! BWhitty67 said it for me -- food has been my best friend too. Always there and never judgemental. Totally comforting. Like a lot of people, some childhood situations caused food to be what I went to whenever I had those feelings. As I've gotten older (I'm cough cough fif cough ty now) I've learned that food is not my friend, it is somewhat of a nemesis. I've gone through counseling, which was awesome in helping me really understand my reasons for eating. Those realizations don't cause the cravings to stop though -- my habits have been hard written. I admit also that I'm kind of resentful that I have to work so hard to be "normal" about food. That still creeps into my head. This can be very undermining to my determination. I do know how to do it though... I know what foods are triggers for me, so I don't keep them in the house for the most part. No perfection here. I also know that planning my meals with foods that I crave in reasonable quantities (and paired with veggies/salad to fill me) keeps me from flitting around looking for something to eat in my empty pantry, then going to the store and buying a bertolli's meal. I've learned to minimize my carbs -- I don't buy snacks like I used to or pasta or bread. And honestly the reason that isn't so hard anymore is because overeating carbs causes a not too pretty response in my digestive system... TMI? Sorry!! :) But, when things get tough... my automatic reach is still for food. If I could just break that link, I would be breaking the cycle for real. Just have to keep working it... I'm up for any suggestions on how to do this!! I'm just not going to give up on this. Gotta keep working it. One step at a time.
  • Mitzigan94
    Mitzigan94 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I also struggle from emotional eating. I used to be at my highest weight of 145 then I learned about mfp calorie counting, the eat only when youre hungry not when youre bored then I was able to go down to 105 lbs in a year and a half. Lately I feel like I'm almost falling off the wagon like waking up in the morning eating breakfast mainly bread bought by gramps and I eat like 10 slices of bread, hot choco then if theres rice I'll eat it too with a side dish of tuna or whatever food there is in high calories then guilt and shame comes in. Until I realized this might be emotional stress causing these. I can feel like Ive already gained few pounds. My friends told me my face looks bigger. Lol if that makes any sense.
    I don't wanna gain back those pounds I've already lost. Most of all I would never want to go back to my old ways. Now I'm doing something about it. I started working out again, taking control, drink lots of water, eat only when I'm truly hungry. Im still challenged with this I mean we all are but we need to get out of our comfort zone think about our health if we continue doing this were slowly killing ourselves.

I'm a believer and I firmly believe whatever were going through with emotional eating we'll get through this. We just need to take control.
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Anyone on here have any idea what the break down is with food and what to replace those elements with? I'm totally flummoxed on that one!

The main difference between food and cigarettes is you can't quit food cold-turkey.

As @txtfyreflye pointed out CBT, I'l continue along that path with being exceedingly mindful of WHY you're eating as well as the WHAT. I try to self-dialog with "Am I actually hungry?" when I go to graze, and if it's not an adamant "yes" start to dig to see why I want to eat.
  • scgirlincolorado
    scgirlincolorado Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Help -- I obsess about left over calories. I am always satiated, yet my brain keeps saying "you better use those". Last night I gave in to shut myself up. It satisfied me (my body, my brain, I have no idea) and fortunately I still didn't go over my target. What is going on with this???? Anyone have any ideas and/or advice?
  • Crystal_Can
    Crystal_Can Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I get that resentment feeling too...like why can't I just be like all the Normal weight people who don't have to log, obsess, change, avoid, etc. like I do. I've been doing better though the past few weeks...its like I have a disability that causes me to need all these extra tools to be ok. I don't want a "relapse"....if I have one, I hope it doesn't knock me out or make me give up, like it has in the past

• judis100
    judis100 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Thank you TzFyreFlye for starting this discussion.
  • judis100
    judis100 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I am an emotional eater, have always eaten when I'm anxious. This year I also realized I'm a food addict. I came home for lunch one day looking forward to the BLT I was planning to make but my 14yo daughter had used all the bacon I'd made the day before feeding her friends. I felt such a rage, and when I came down from that I felt so much shame about it and I realized I was a food addict. My eating/dieting history made so much more sense to me!

I've done much better since then, and tracking (and limiting) my food has been helpful, I'm "in control", and as a bonus my kids don't eat up the foods I'm looking forward to anymore because it's all too healthy for them ;-)
  • iceyblues
    iceyblues Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I have a weird relationship with food,have always gone from one extreme to the other.
    Been underweight to overweight and yoyo all the time. Starve myself to binging......but I am trying to change that.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    I do have issues with occasionally bingeing. I'm getting a handle on it and the binges are getting smaller and less frequent.... but I am always disappointed in myself when I allow it to happen. I had a bread binge this weekend. This is terrible for my blood sugar, which is an issue for me. I used to emotionally eat whole pints of Ben and Jerry's, but at least I have stopped doing that (prediabetes diagnosis. It really scares me into acting better.) Certain foods are like triggers that I mustn't even have a bit of or else it becomes a binge in an eyeblink. X()
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    ugh I stuffed myself all weekend. Posted this on another thread but will do it here as well. Hope it drums into my dumb head. It rained all weekend and I was stuck inside. I think I was bored plus PMS so I just ate. And ate and ate. I wasn't even hungry. I lost all motivation to do a home workout. Also the continuous rain depressed me especially with all the laundry building up.
    Fed up with myself for being like this. I'm 41 . I'm not overweight but I have worked hard to get where I am and feel like I keep undoing my hard workouts during the week. I have been slack at logging in my diary but I have started again today. It's more the weekends I lost all will power and like someone said above, it becomes a free for all. Popcorn, soup, bacon, eggs, noodles , english muffin, cheese, french bread, biscuits. holy moly. Numerous cups of rooibos tea ( I try to avoid caffeine as much as possible) In one day and all. *smacks head*

Also I HATE wasting food as well. I was also told by my Mum to eat all my food.

• txfyreflye
    Options
    Hi everyone. Sorry I've been gone but I haven't been well. Gall bladder issues. And still had to work - ugh! I am so glad to see people opening up. I don't feel so alone now.