Protein Bar Questions

1235711

Replies

  • madhu1981
    madhu1981 Posts: 4,829 Member
    edited September 2016
    Rite Bite - max protein Choco Fudge Flavour is awesome , but 230 calories for 20 gram protein

    Rite Bite - Max Protein Professional Choco Almond also great - No added Sugar , 30grams of protein - 378 calories in total
  • singletrackmtbr
    singletrackmtbr Posts: 644 Member
    Until recently, I was a fan of pure protein. Recently I converted to Kirkland Signature. Chocolate chip cookie dough and chocolate brownie: delicious! 21g of protein, no added sugar, 190 calories.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,474 Member
    TommyW45 wrote: »
    I don't eat them for protein . I eat them instead of candy bars etc. , they are not for everyone . I have tried some that taste like horse feed and these are my snack food !

    but...this thread is specifically asking for best protein bars. It's literally the title.

    OP, my current fave is Power Crunch. Salted caramel and cookies n cream are both good. I've had Combat Crunch (they're ok), Zone (good), Quest (too expensive for me), and others I'm sure I'm missing.
  • TommyW45
    TommyW45 Posts: 112 Member
    _dracarys_ wrote: »
    TommyW45 wrote: »
    I don't eat them for protein . I eat them instead of candy bars etc. , they are not for everyone . I have tried some that taste like horse feed and these are my snack food !

    but...this thread is specifically asking for best protein bars. It's literally the title.

    OP, my current fave is Power Crunch. Salted caramel and cookies n cream are both good. I've had Combat Crunch (they're ok), Zone (good), Quest (too expensive for me), and others I'm sure I'm missing.

    No it says what is your favorite flavor , do you heat them , and can you eat them before bed . No where I seen best protein bar ! Sorry
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,498 Member
    Hey everyone,

    I am new to protein bars & am a little curious about a few things....
    1. Can you have protein bars about 2-3 hours before you go to bed?
    2. For QuestBar eaters, what are you favorite flavors? If you heat them up, for how long?
    3. Other than Quest, what are your favorite protein bars?

    Thank you ahead of time for all responses! :-)

    1. Yes.
    2. n/a as I don't care for Quest... tried even the knock-off brand along with every bar on the market. My go-to is Think Thin.
    3. Think Thin choc fudge & choc covered p.b. is good but it does get melty in the heat. a better heat-resistant is the P.B. w/o any choc coating.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    Hornsby wrote: »
    TommyW45 wrote: »
    Fiber one coconut bar . 140 calories

    Really? 6 grams of protein?

    Do they have the balls to call it a protein bar?

    I like the Muscletech Mission 1. 21g protein, 17 fiber, 200 calories. Also like most of the MetRX bars. Can get them for less than $6 for a 4 pack at my local Wal-Mart.

    No, they aren't specifically marketed as protein bars. They're more like snack bars.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,324 Member
    I dunno. This kinda looks marketed as a protein bar to me...:shrug:

    deeb838b-e6cf-4f82-b647-42c77a43e8bc.png._CB304901842_.png
  • TommyW45
    TommyW45 Posts: 112 Member
    Hornsby wrote: »
    I dunno. This kinda looks marketed as a protein bar to me...:shrug:

    deeb838b-e6cf-4f82-b647-42c77a43e8bc.png._CB304901842_.png

    I didn't know a particular bar could stir up so much . Lol
  • TommyW45
    TommyW45 Posts: 112 Member
    I eat the fiber one chocolate chip cookies also for a late night snack , maybe stick a picture of it also for everybody !
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,360 Member
    TommyW45 wrote: »
    _dracarys_ wrote: »
    TommyW45 wrote: »
    I don't eat them for protein . I eat them instead of candy bars etc. , they are not for everyone . I have tried some that taste like horse feed and these are my snack food !

    but...this thread is specifically asking for best protein bars. It's literally the title.

    OP, my current fave is Power Crunch. Salted caramel and cookies n cream are both good. I've had Combat Crunch (they're ok), Zone (good), Quest (too expensive for me), and others I'm sure I'm missing.

    No it says what is your favorite flavor , do you heat them , and can you eat them before bed . No where I seen best protein bar ! Sorry

    I don't know. Looking back at the original post, thread is titled "Protein Bar Questions":
    Hey everyone,

    I am new to protein bars & am a little curious about a few things....
    1. Can you have protein bars about 2-3 hours before you go to bed?
    2. For QuestBar eaters, what are you favorite flavors? If you heat them up, for how long?
    3. Other than Quest, what are your favorite protein bars?

    Thank you ahead of time for all responses! :-)

    Kinda seems like she was asking about protein bars to me. :)
  • TommyW45
    TommyW45 Posts: 112 Member
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    TommyW45 wrote: »
    _dracarys_ wrote: »
    TommyW45 wrote: »
    I don't eat them for protein . I eat them instead of candy bars etc. , they are not for everyone . I have tried some that taste like horse feed and these are my snack food !

    but...this thread is specifically asking for best protein bars. It's literally the title.

    OP, my current fave is Power Crunch. Salted caramel and cookies n cream are both good. I've had Combat Crunch (they're ok), Zone (good), Quest (too expensive for me), and others I'm sure I'm missing.

    No it says what is your favorite flavor , do you heat them , and can you eat them before bed . No where I seen best protein bar ! Sorry

    I don't know. Looking back at the original post, thread is titled "Protein Bar Questions":
    Hey everyone,

    I am new to protein bars & am a little curious about a few things....
    1. Can you have protein bars about 2-3 hours before you go to bed?
    2. For QuestBar eaters, what are you favorite flavors? If you heat them up, for how long?
    3. Other than Quest, what are your favorite protein bars?

    Thank you ahead of time for all responses! :-)

    Kinda seems like she was asking about protein bars to me. :)

    Ok that's fine , right now this particular one is MY favorite !
  • RebeccaNaegle
    RebeccaNaegle Posts: 236 Member
    I like fit crunch bars as far as protein bars go. I heat them for 15 seconds and eat with a fork. I am not a huge protein bar advocate tho. I like other protein snacks instead. Yogurt, donuts (doughbardoughnuts.com), Protein cookies (eatmeguiltfree.com) etc. IF I end up eating a protein bar though, I eat fit crunch. I don't care for quest very much, however, my husband does. He likes the white chocolate raspberry the most I think. He doesn't heat it up, but I would.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,474 Member
    Hornsby wrote: »
    I dunno. This kinda looks marketed as a protein bar to me...:shrug:

    deeb838b-e6cf-4f82-b647-42c77a43e8bc.png._CB304901842_.png

    true. but then the dude said he didn't even eat them for the protein, so I had to *headscratch* why he'd even answer.

    carry on!
  • nelsunnie
    nelsunnie Posts: 1 Member
    You really can't go wrong with any bar that has around 20 grams of protein. Sadly, some of the big box brands (special K, Fiber One) are trying to claim some of their stuff are 'protein' bars or 'protein' shakes but most fitness professionals/nutritionists recommend around 20g per serving and a lower effective/net carb rating (carbs - fiber) of less than 10g for it to qualify as a 'protein' bar.

    I personally have to be careful as I have celiac disease so quite a few of them I cannot have. I've heard good things about the one Robert Irvine makes as well as the Complete Cookie, but I'm not sure of the protein content in those. I've also heard Combat Crunch is great but I think it has more calories.

    That being said, I used to love Quest bars before they switched their fiber source to corn fiber. It was much better before - I can't recall what they used and not sure why they switched. If you want to try them though, the Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough is still pretty decent, and I tried the Oatmeal Chocolate Chip and it is OK too. The Blueberry Muffin, Chocolate Brownie, Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough, Lemon Pie and Cinnamon roll are all good IMHO. I'm not a fan of the chocolate peanut butter or any of the other pie ones as someone posted.

    I agree with someone else that the Oh Yeah! One bars are pretty tasty. I like the Birthday Cake, Chocolate Cake and Almond Bliss (pretty darn close to an almond joy) bars. I haven't tried others. They are less sweet than the Quest bars but sometimes that's a good thing since I feel like it satisfies the craving just enough.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,027 Member
    edited September 2016
    TommyW45 wrote: »
    _dracarys_ wrote: »
    TommyW45 wrote: »
    I don't eat them for protein . I eat them instead of candy bars etc. , they are not for everyone . I have tried some that taste like horse feed and these are my snack food !

    but...this thread is specifically asking for best protein bars. It's literally the title.

    OP, my current fave is Power Crunch. Salted caramel and cookies n cream are both good. I've had Combat Crunch (they're ok), Zone (good), Quest (too expensive for me), and others I'm sure I'm missing.

    No it says what is your favorite flavor , do you heat them , and can you eat them before bed . No where I seen best protein bar ! Sorry
    @TommyW45
    I was just going to respond to the post above myself but noticed you beat me to it. lol
    @_dracarys_
    I think the actual title is "Protein Bar Questions" I guess ppl can eat them for whatever reason they want. :smiley: I eat Pure Protein brand, I've tried a few others but not really experimented too much. Someone gave me one not long ago and it helped me get through a workout since I'd forgotten to grab anything before I left. After that I bought a box for convenience and it definitely works for that.

    All the flavors I've tried so far were good up until yesterday. Yesterday I bought Chocolate Chip... eww :# I ate one and I have no clue what I'll do with the rest of them. They were simply that gross... to me. Someone else may love that flavor. Wish I knew someone that did, would love to share. Least it was only a 6 pack.

    I reading where someone shared how they ate 2-3 bars before they go bed (can't recall the brand). I don't know all the ingredients regarding times of sugar in other protein bars but in Pure Protein it's lower in sugar because much of it is sugar alcohols.

    Sugar alcohols - doesn't typically raise glucose in diabetics. Some of may recall the Amazon write up on Sugar Free Gummy Bears that pops up on the forums from time to time? :laugh:

    Too much sugar alcohol in a any food has side effects can give the same reaction if over eaten as 'sugar free gummy bears' .... nuff said. Fortunately it's never happened to me but I only eat one bar every so often. I love gummy bears (the ones made in Germany) and when I eat them I eat the ones with real sugar or none at all. :laugh:
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Hornsby wrote: »
    I dunno. This kinda looks marketed as a protein bar to me...:shrug:

    deeb838b-e6cf-4f82-b647-42c77a43e8bc.png._CB304901842_.png

    I stand corrected. I was looking at a Fiber One Oats and Chocolate Bar. (interestingly, the oats and chocolate has even less protein - 2g)
  • My favorite protein bars are Fitcrunch bars more specifically Cookies and cream and Birthday cake varieties :)
  • THenry8
    THenry8 Posts: 62 Member
    My favorite flavors of Quest Bars are Cookies N Creme, Mint Chocolate Chip(All time Fave), Chocolate Cookie dough(Though I like it better when it's heated up, cause it actually taste like a real chocolate chip cookie without all that stuff) I usually either eat one or two for the day! Besides Quest, the only ones that I like are the Think Thin protein bars, cause the fit my dietary needs! Since I can't have too much sugar cause of my bariatric surgery, these are a perfect alternative when I can't afford Quest Bars at times! Sugar Alcohols are a bit high, but I hadn't had problems so far!
  • rebel_26
    rebel_26 Posts: 1,826 Member
    edited September 2016
    fiber one is a pooping bar. The "protein" content , even though limited, is just a "plus" in their eyes and used for marketing it as "healthy". Lets face it nothing processed beats whole foods as an equal alternative. convenience only and a quick way to pack in calories if that's your goal.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,324 Member
    rebel_26 wrote: »
    fiber one is a pooping bar. The "protein" content , even though limited, is just a "plus" in their eyes and used for marketing it as "healthy". Lets face it nothing processed beats whole foods as an equal alternative. convenience only and a quick way to pack in calories if that's your goal.

    In your opinion.