Unhealthy foods

Options

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    The outside perimeter of my supermarket gets me bakery, cheeses, deli, fish, meat, butter, more cheese, milk, ready meals, fresh pasta, eggs, ice cream and toys.

Sounds good.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    In my mainstream grocery (also a pharmacy) there's now a section in the middle that you see when you come in for fruits and veg (it's a lovely section, but not on the perimeter). So the ridiculous advice about the perimeter gets you (going clockwise): donuts and other pastries, breads, deli meats and prepared salads, better cheeses, dips, and party platters, fish counter, meat, pop, dairy and eggs and pasta that need to be kept cold (like various sorts of ravioli), some cookie dough and yogurt of all sorts, tofu and soy-based products that need to be chilled, misc seasonal stuff, various pharmacy things, magazines. Oh, and there are some stacks of wine on the perimeter sometimes, although the liquor section is upstairs (everything kept chilled, mainly beer, some wine) is on the perimeter up there.

You'd get a much better diet not sticking to the perimeter.

Plus, the idea that people need such simplistic advice to be able to shop is offensive and bizarre. I go into the store knowing what I want and I buy it -- rarely even notice the many other things that aren't the sorts of things I buy.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    If sodium is an issue, you will do worse with fried foods.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    In my mainstream grocery (also a pharmacy) there's now a section in the middle that you see when you come in for fruits and veg (it's a lovely section, but not on the perimeter). So the ridiculous advice about the perimeter gets you (going clockwise): donuts and other pastries, breads, deli meats and prepared salads, better cheeses, dips, and party platters, fish counter, meat, pop, dairy and eggs and pasta that need to be kept cold (like various sorts of ravioli), some cookie dough and yogurt of all sorts, tofu and soy-based products that need to be chilled, misc seasonal stuff, various pharmacy things, magazines. Oh, and there are some stacks of wine on the perimeter sometimes, although the liquor section is upstairs (everything kept chilled, mainly beer, some wine) is on the perimeter up there.

You'd get a much better diet not sticking to the perimeter.

Plus, the idea that people need such simplistic advice to be able to shop is offensive and bizarre. I go into the store knowing what I want and I buy it -- rarely even notice the many other things that aren't the sorts of things I buy.

I also think this advice has been bandied about so many times grocery stores have changed their layouts. The store I shop at has all the fruit and vegetables in the center of the store. It is the same nonsense as, "If you can't pronounce the ingredients, don't purchase it."
  • minniemoo1972
    minniemoo1972 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Lots of humor and hipster comments here. Best for overall health, however, is to avoid processed food, like canned salmon and frozen lasagna. When you enter your supermarket, turn right and traverse the outer wall of the store, avoiding the inner aisles. You will find mostly lovely and fresh foods there.

The outside of my store. .....clothes, pharmacy,pizza counter, bread, milk and alcohol....
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Lots of humor and hipster comments here. Best for overall health, however, is to avoid processed food, like canned salmon and frozen lasagna. When you enter your supermarket, turn right and traverse the outer wall of the store, avoiding the inner aisles. You will find mostly lovely and fresh foods there.

Nope.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

I don't usually buy canned salmon, as I prefer to buy fresh or frozen and cook it myself, then flake it if I need something for a recipe... but just curious what is bad for my health about canned salmon? Or frozen lasagna for that matter? I actually bought this at Target over the weekend to have as lunch this week since I didn't have time to meal prep. Having a hard time understanding what makes this inherently unhealthy for me?

50332548?wid=450&hei=450&fmt=pjpeg
  • caradack1985
    caradack1985 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    But the lasagne and chicken wings are both on the outside wall of my supermarket, as was the pizza I just ate for dinner.

But what had the tinned salmon got to do with it? That stuff is rank by the by, tinned tuna is great though.
  • ktekc
    ktekc Posts: 879 Member
    Options

Flowers, while lovely are mostly not very tasty...the perimeter of the store thing dosent work everywhere.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    ktekc wrote: »

Flowers, while lovely are mostly not very tasty...the perimeter of the store thing dosent work everywhere.

Well, at least you get flowers. I get cleaning supplies and baby necessities. Actually, that isn't half bad. I could fry with that baby oil.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Is canned salmon really that much lower in sodium than hotwings and lasagna? I've got the sodium tracker on MFP just for the hell of it, and I've been surprised at some of the high sodium food. Ex. one Thomas's brand bagel has 100mg more sodium than a large serving of McDonald's fries according to MFP.

WHAT. Mind blown.
  • bethannien
    bethannien Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    ktekc wrote: »

There's a dessert place in my city that puts flowers on all their lovely little cakes and brownies and scones!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,585 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Eat what you like. Just make sure to account for the calories.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Such a vague response for someone so qualified. Judging by the OPs question, clearly it's early days for them on this road to great health and vitality. Yes calories are king, however nutritional value cannot be overlooked. OP or other newbies casually scrolling could easily misinterpret your comment.
    Not vague. That's my response. There are no "unhealthy" foods. There are foods that are more nutritionally dense than others, but weight loss is about CICO.
    One can lose weight on junk food if that's what they choose to eat. And while eating nutrient dense MAY help improve one's health, it's only a small portion of improving one's health overall.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Eat what you like. Just make sure to account for the calories.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Such a vague response for someone so qualified. Judging by the OPs question, clearly it's early days for them on this road to great health and vitality. Yes calories are king, however nutritional value cannot be overlooked. OP or other newbies casually scrolling could easily misinterpret your comment.

i dont agree. this is exactly what i did when i started. Its the simpliest way to get started and means you can carry on longer than if you started to eliminate loads of so called bad food.
    I ate the same things as i did before just less of it. The only thing i changed was switch to zero or diet drinks.