Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Gym on empty stomach

Options

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    @ndj1979 the OP doesnt have to but i think its wise to get an opinion of a doctor. I spoke with mine before trying to gain weight to make sure certain diets, foods and exercises were safe. My doc helped me tremendously but to each is own!

is your doctor a nutritionist and certified sports trainer, or PT?
  • MalkinMagic71
    MalkinMagic71 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    I do 45-60 minutes of cardio every morning on an empty stomach. Usually afterwards I'll have some oatmeal just to get something in me, then not eat till lunch time or so. It works for me, but everyone is different. I tend to not feel great working out when I have eaten recently.
  • scoii
    scoii Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I did a fitness dvd at 7pm after missing my afternoon snack. Come the end I was dizzy and shaking. 2 Mentos set me right.

I'm pretty sensitive to going without food. 4 hours and I'm frantically looking for some calories to stop the shakes. Early onset diabetes in the family so it may be related.

Everyone is different though. I did see a study on TV that showed women perform closer to their bests when fasting compared to men.
  • chantelsheree88
    chantelsheree88 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    @ndj1979 i seek advice from my primary care who makes sure that my personal regimen is safe in regards to my height, weight, and bp. However, i also follow the advice of my nutritionist who advised me to eat before working out, but again to each is own! Everyone is different. I was just suggesting it to the OP because I too didnt know whether it was okay for me to work out at the gym on an empty stomach.
  • zcb94
    zcb94 Posts: 3,679 Member
    Options
    My workout partner believes not only in fasted cardio, but in what I affectionately call NPO cardio. She doesn't allow even a sip of water before or during exercise.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I always find this topic interesting. I used to run for an hour at 6:00 in the morning--fasted, no problems--I was in my 20's. Since I started swimming in my 40's (now 60) I can't do it without something light--yogurt w a banana, etc, or I'll feel lightheaded and close to passing out. I swim at 8:30 and have something at 7:15. For those that can exercise fasted, I think it's great--if not, it's not something to beat yourself up about. What's important is doing the work.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    zcb94 wrote: »
    My workout partner believes not only in fasted cardio, but in what I affectionately call NPO cardio. She doesn't allow even a sip of water before or during exercise.

This is a bad idea. Dehydration is neither fun nor good for you.
    I can't imagine what she hopes to gain by not properly hydrating herself during exercise.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »

I can't imagine what she hopes to gain by not properly hydrating herself during exercise.

Screw that noise. Everyone loves muscle cramps.
  • Carlos_421
    Options
    L5Jvmd.gif
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options

True. Then again depending on how well the person has hydrated during the day, the previous dsy and the intensity/duration of the activity they may be perfectly fine without hydrating before or during exercise.

I often get up in the morning, dress, and go directly out the door for a 30 minute run without drinking anything right before or during, even in hot weather.

Of course I drank around 100 ounces of fluid the day before.
  • zcb94
    Options
    Oh okay. That makes sense. I really try to stay hydrated throughout the week in preparation for such an activity, done a few times a week. Maybe that's part of why she wants me to consider it safe, and not be such a chicken nugget (though I do get seriously dizzy if I even shower fasted).
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

considering at least one study if not more has shown that pro's start to have problems in endurance cardio (2-3 hrs) performance if they lose 10% of their body weight in sweat (so already trained to carry more water anyway) - I'm betting the average Joe/Jane can get an hour workout in without water during it.

If they are generally not in dehydrated state already.

If they are so intense in that short workout that they are sweating up a storm - doubtful their gut is getting much blood flow to benefit from drinking water anyway.
    And if nice easy workout that short - then likely not sweating out that much to worry about.
  • Carlos_421
    Options
    heybales wrote: »

considering at least one study if not more has shown that pro's start to have problems in endurance cardio (2-3 hrs) performance if they lose 10% of their body weight in sweat (so already trained to carry more water anyway) - I'm betting the average Joe/Jane can get an hour workout in without water during it.

If they are so intense in that short workout that they are sweating up a storm - doubtful their gut is getting much blood flow to benefit from drinking water anyway.
    And if nice easy workout that short - then likely not sweating out that much to worry about.

I was referring to the idea that someone shouldn't (not "doesn't necessarily need to" but "shouldn't) have anything to drink before exercise.

And I would expect the average Joe to experience a downturn in performance much sooner than I would a pro. For instance, a pro may not experience performance issues until they've lost ten percent of their body weight, however a novice runner may experience runner's cramps before their shirt even gets very wet if they're not properly hydrating.

Oh, and pros hydrate before such races. So there's that. If not, I imagine their performance would suffer much sooner.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I hydrate like crazy all day long the day before to prepare for my early a.m. runs.. I am not drinking or eating anything at 5:30 a.m. to go run 5 miles and I never put myself into a position that I will keel over after 1 mile.. That is just dangerous and especially in the heat where I live..

Surely there is no one out there running on a dehydrated tank.. If they are I hope that this was their very first run and their last..
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

I was referring to the idea that someone shouldn't (not "doesn't necessarily need to" but "shouldn't) have anything to drink before exercise.

And I would expect the average Joe to experience a downturn in performance much sooner than I would a pro. For instance, a pro may not experience performance issues until they've lost ten percent of their body weight, however a novice runner may experience runner's cramps before their shirt even gets very wet if they're not properly hydrating.

Oh, and pros hydrate before such races. So there's that. If not, I imagine their performance would suffer much sooner.

Average Joe doing 1 hr at their intensity compared to pro 2-3 hrs at their intensity?
    Runner's cramps in that amount of time is some other issue unless they are living dehydrated. In which case the minor amount taken in during the workout isn't going to help much if any, compared to what their body wants for the day.
    Pro is in well hydrated state probably vast majority of the time.

To add in comment above too - if someone is so dehydrated that water for that purpose is required during a 1 hr workout - they have bigger problems that will be going on.
    And cramps from lack of water likely won't be the first one either - their electrolytes are probably way off anyway.

Plus - it wasn't mentioned how far in advance for that advice. Doesn't sound like blood test "don't eat after midnight or 10 pm" level - but probably don't gulp a bunch of water when you walk in here 5 min before we start. I've seen people on the ball at gym puke because of that. Trainer then mentions about not drinking so much, we are only doing 45 min together anyway.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I drink during my workouts because I'm thirsty. I must have teh deathz.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    superchea wrote: »
    Wake up and go to the gym on empty stomach in the morning is that a good or bad thing? I usually don't have an appetite in the am but I still manage to get in 2,000 calories a day.

It's your preference. People like to do "fasted cardio" but personally, I'd get sick. I usually eat a protein bar in the AM before work outs.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    I never realized just how much water I consume until I moved to my current town. The water supply tastes like Yoda's balls slathered in purification tabs, so I started buying gallons from Wal-Mart for my protein shakes and PWOs. About a gallon per day just on those two things, then my 6-12 Coke Zeros on top of that.
  • zcb94
    Options

Average Joe doing 1 hr at their intensity compared to pro 2-3 hrs at their intensity?
    Runner's cramps in that amount of time is some other issue unless they are living dehydrated. In which case the minor amount taken in during the workout isn't going to help much if any, compared to what their body wants for the day.
    Pro is in well hydrated state probably vast majority of the time.

To add in comment above too - if someone is so dehydrated that water for that purpose is required during a 1 hr workout - they have bigger problems that will be going on.
    And cramps from lack of water likely won't be the first one either - their electrolytes are probably way off anyway.

Plus - it wasn't mentioned how far in advance for that advice. Doesn't sound like blood test "don't eat after midnight or 10 pm" level - but probably don't gulp a bunch of water when you walk in here 5 min before we start. I've seen people on the ball at gym puke because of that. Trainer then mentions about not drinking so much, we are only doing 45 min together anyway.
    Sadly, the bolded is actually what I was taught. I have diabetes, and my fasted BG will always be higher after a night of even water, than if I did not drink. :shrug: If the next day happens to be a workout/bath-and-get-dressed day, that compete fast will often extend until lunch or dinner. My bedtime is anywhere from 9-11 pm depending on how tired I am and surrounding nighttime chaos like storms. When I fall asleep, that's it for by-mouth consumption for a loooong time.
  • richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    I never realized just how much water I consume until I moved to my current town. The water supply tastes like Yoda's balls slathered in purification tabs, so I started buying gallons from Wal-Mart for my protein shakes and PWOs. About a gallon per day just on those two things, then my 6-12 Coke Zeros on top of that.

Thanks for that visual. :/

ktd5ngb4psq4.jpg