Protein Bar Questions

Options

Replies

• Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    nelsunnie wrote: »

I've heard good things about the one Robert Irvine makes as well as the Complete Cookie, but I'm not sure of the protein content in those. I've also heard Combat Crunch is great but I think it has more calories.

I have had different ones from Robert Irvine, all of them are very good. The birthday cake one is delicious. But they are like 380 calories and 27c or something. Same with the complete cookie, it's about 380 I think for the whole cookie. So while they are very delicious I feel like they aren't good choices if you are trying to cut calories. Not that this thread is about cutting calories, just saying.

Agreed, I couldn't eat them until I hit maintenance unless I used them for a meal replacement (actually for that they work really well). Before that I bought the snack sized Fit Crunch bars, they were 190 cals and 16g protein. Walmart used to carry them, now they just carry the larger bars (2x the size). I guess you could eat half but the things are so good you won't stop at half. I've had candy bars that don't taste as good as the Fit Crunch bars. I believe though, that you can still order them online in places in the snack sizes.
  • hillaryjess
    hillaryjess Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    divcara wrote: »
    3) I've been experimenting with other bars, too. Comparable to Quest in macro composition is the Oh Yeah! brand. Also desserty flavors, but more sugar alcohols (if that makes any difference to you). These are overall way softer out of the package than Quest and don't need any heat to be edible and delicious. I <3 the birthday cake flavor along with most people who seek these things to satisfy their inner fat kid while keeping lean! White Chocolate Raspberry is killer, too. I'm dying to try to chocolate birthday cake one tonight.

Oh you MUST report on the chocolate birthday cake flavor, I have been dying to try!

Will do! I'll post something here as well, but my current main avenue for reviews will be on my Instagram @nerdragefit
  • halfninja2
    halfninja2 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I've never had an issue eating protein bars 2-3 hours before bed, in fact, I usually work out late evening so it's pretty much always 2-3 hours before bed or less. I do like most of the Quest bars, White Chocolate Raspberry and Chocolate Chip are my favorites. I've never heated them up so no help there. I usually buy Pure Protein brand bars because they're much cheaper and still hit the 20g+ of protein and about 200 cal.
  • divcara
    divcara Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Do you ever "bake" your quest bars in the oven? I preheat oven to 350°. Cut a cookie dough Quest bar into 4 pieces. Press pieces until paper thin then place on cookie sheet. Bake at 350° for 7 minutes. Flip cookies then bake for additional 2 minutes. So good!
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    the only thing about the fit crunch bars is besides the high calories,they way more than the package states. one said 88g and it was 100g. so gotta watch that too(good idea to weigh them if you weigh your food)
  • purple44444
    purple44444 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Right now Zone Perfect Fudge Graham are my favorite.
  • jopalis
    jopalis Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    where can you buy Oh Yeah One Bar retail? I see them on Amazon but wondered if I could just pick up a couple to try.
  • jopalis
    jopalis Posts: 238 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Saw this excerpt from a Men's Fitness article online. Sounds interesting but Clif Bars not particularly high in protein.

"...Fitness enthusiasts are familiar with performance gels and bars, and all too familiar with their saccharine flavors. Luckily, Clif Bar has conceded to runners, lifters, and hungry men everywhere. The company announced that its new line of savory energy bars and gels—flavored like pizza, BBQ, and sweet potato fries—will be unveiled this February, the Wall Street Journal reports..."

link: http://www.mensfitness.com/nutrition/what-to-eat/5-savory-nutrition-bars-make-your-other-bars-look-candy

there are others listed...savory ones! Other brands...bacon cranberry, coconut curry, Thai, etc.
  • DavidTsedaka
    DavidTsedaka Posts: 3 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Bang! Home made pure whey iso 100 protein bars. One is peanut butter and the other is coconut chips. Final result:

1cacf31dace649439b3827f63ce20569.png

• Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    jopalis wrote: »
    where can you buy Oh Yeah One Bar retail? I see them on Amazon but wondered if I could just pick up a couple to try.

gnc vitaminshoppe
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    Bang! Home made pure whey iso 100 protein bars. One is peanut butter and the other is coconut chips. Final result:

1cacf31dace649439b3827f63ce20569.png

YUM recipe?
  • Martinnutrition
    Options
    why you want to take, i agreed with eme, i also like occasional Cookies but not on daily basis, you can check calories and nutrition facts before eating such kind of cookies on daily basis caramel nut snack bar

Now to protein bars, you can store in refrigerator but not for months. check expiry date and store it for a week only and do some activity after eating and before going to sleep.
  • divcara
    divcara Posts: 79 Member
    Options

Public has them if you have one by you. Otherwise GNC.
  • hillaryjess
    Options
    jopalis wrote: »

I usually find a good selection at local health food stores and chains i.e. Complete Nutrition, Vitamin Shoppe--seems Vitamin Shoppe has the newest bars in earlier than anyone else. I can also usually find a handful of the popular flavors at Meijer, too. I've seen some of the higher end bars at Kroger, too, but can't remember if Oh Yeah! was one of them.
  • hillaryjess
    Options
    divcara wrote: »
    3) I've been experimenting with other bars, too. Comparable to Quest in macro composition is the Oh Yeah! brand. Also desserty flavors, but more sugar alcohols (if that makes any difference to you). These are overall way softer out of the package than Quest and don't need any heat to be edible and delicious. I <3 the birthday cake flavor along with most people who seek these things to satisfy their inner fat kid while keeping lean! White Chocolate Raspberry is killer, too. I'm dying to try to chocolate birthday cake one tonight.

Oh you MUST report on the chocolate birthday cake flavor, I have been dying to try!

Will do! I'll post something here as well, but my current main avenue for reviews will be on my Instagram @nerdragefit

@divcara As promised, I'll weigh in on the Oh Yeah! chocolate birthday cake protein bar--
    Let me first express how high I had set the bar for this one. I love the Oh Yeah! original birthday cake flavor so much that it's what got me interested in trying a ton of protein bars and reviewing them. I finally felt that higher quality bars might be worth the money, and that they all don't taste like chalky garbage. Also, on the sweet tooth side, I have a tendency to budget some form of chocolate in my IIFYM plan daily #doitforthechocolate The bar was set HIGH.

So as with my approach for most of these bars, this was a way to hit my numbers and treated like a dessert (rather than fuel or recovery after a workout). I looked forward to it all day. Unfortunately, I was disappointed with it. The outer chocolate coating tasted similar to a Tootsie Roll, which isn't terrible, but combined with the filling really brought out the artificial flavors. Whereas I don't have an issue with the aftertaste of the original birthday cake like many others do, I found the chocolate stuck with me in the not-so-great way.

Ultimately was it inedible? Absolutely not the case--I totally ate the whole thing. Was it my favorite though? Not a chance. Would I buy it again? Maybe. I'd consider incorporating it into a recipe of some sort or topping half a bar with some low-fat fro-yo and some Walden Farms chocolate syrup for an indulgent, less-guilty treat. Basically, I think it was okay alone but would be improved paired with something else.

Let me know if you try it out though! I think I may be in the minority based on a few reviews on it that I read previously.
  • samsmom46
    samsmom46 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Check out Larabars. They only have natural ingredients - no chemicals or sugars!
  • rachel780mpg
    rachel780mpg Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    samsmom46 wrote: »
    Check out Larabars. They only have natural ingredients - no chemicals or sugars!

Love Larabars for a sweet treat. The little brownie bites they have now are delicious too!
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    Any protein bar much over 13 calories per gram of protein I consider junk food and generally don't buy them. There are a few exceptions that I consider treats more than just protein supplements, but in general if I'm going to consume 380 to 410 calories I expect there to be at least 30g of protein in it. Most of the "healthy" or mainstream ones you hear about have very little protein. Decide on the reason you're eating them, and look for that in the ingredients. If it's for protein, then it better have a good amount of it in the bar for the calories you're going to consume. Larabars are delicious.. but only have 4g of protein so I consider them junk food because protein is what I'm looking for in a protein bar. I get my fiber from bran cereal in the morning and veggies throughout the day, so I don't need it in my protein bars. Same goes with Special K bars, Cliff Bars, etc. Yes, they are better for me than a straight up candy bar, but unless I have mindless calories to burn I'm going to stay away from them. I'd be better off just eating meat or buying beef jerky of some sort. Again, my humble opinion only.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Speaking of candy bars, anyone tried the marathon snickers protein bar? I really want to find them somewhere.