This is why people gain weight, and why losing it is so hard.

Options

Replies

• Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    I just wanna add to great advice that you may benefit, like I did, to the way in which exercise can suppress appetite. I enjoy it and I do better staying within my calorie allowance..it's not meaningful to me in that it gives me extra cals to eat but that it helps me feel good, motivated and hormonally balanced.

That's its biggest draw for me. And it can take a bit of pushing yourself internally to do it but you make the time fit (even a short walk to start) and eventually you'll crave it, prioritise it, demand it. So, essentially, exercise means more than 200-300 cals...helps mindset.

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    I was convinced I was an outlier due to my frame when I was fat .. My goal was to get close to 25 ...cos I bought into the whole population measure,not for individuals, I'm large framed / big boned (I am by wrist and forearm dimensions) .turns out I sit nicely around a BMI of 24 (and I have decent muscles

As I mentioned, height is a big issue with BMI. My husband is 6'1, used to throw javelin, shot put, discus, etc. and has the build you'd expect from that. BMI says he'd have to be below 190 to be "healthy" which is total BS. I've seen photos of him as a teenager weighing that much and he was skinny as a rail. You shouldn't be skinny as a rail at the top of your "healthy" BMI range. But he is the exception not the rule (and it is largely because he is tall in addition to being broad shouldered and broad chested).

Similarly, for some very very short women (substantially sub-five-feet), the bottom end of the healthy range doesn't go low enough.

Checking for FFMI and assuming he's in the land between very fit and still humanly possible, he could be between 10 and 15% bodyfat at below 190 with plenty of musculature because high FFMI. Hardly thin as a rail.
  • Resistive
    Resistive Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    bethannien wrote: »
    Resistive wrote: »
    I would like to see a listing of the food you ate that tallied 4500 calories.

I just cannot fathom that many calories in a day.

Easy peasy. A fat Belgian waffle, slathered in a couple tablespoons of butter for breakfast and at LEAST 1/2 cup of maple syrup. Can't eat that without a couple slices of bacon and a fried egg or two (cooked in the bacon grease of course). 800 calories for the waffle, butter and syrup. Another 100 or so for the bacon and conservatively another 150 for the eggs. Pushing 1000 just on breakfast.

Lunch, I'd eat a Big Mac meal (with a Diet Coke at least) which tops out at around 900 calories. Sometimes I'd get a dipped ice cream cone for another 150 (1050).

A snack before dinner of a snickers bar (280 cals if I'm not mistaken) and maybe a couple ounces of cheese for 220 cals or so (500).

Dinner, if I cooked at home, would be some form of creamy pasta with meat. I would easily eat two servings, if not more but let's say I just ate two. I guarantee just the entree would be 1000 calories, plus one or two slices of garlic bread, 400 calories for 2 slices. (1400).

I nearly always ate something before bed too. Maybe it was leftovers in the fridge (anywhere from 500-750 calories would be my guess). Maybe it was swinging through a drive thru and eating egg rolls dipped in ranch (3 at 150 cals each plus 200 or so calories worth of ranch-650). Sometimes it would be a whole pint of Ben and Jerry's (1200 give or take 200 calories).

Conservatively, that's about 4400 calories but it could get as bad as 6000 calories. And that was a pretty regular Saturday for me.

But that's my point, it is attainable when eating utter crap food. When trying to lose weight, in my opinion, there is no way you should be even coming close to that.
  • Resistive
    Resistive Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Clearly you eat 4k calories every day of McDonalds, Waffles bathing in syrup, 6 pack of coke, Ding Dongs, Chips etc...
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Resistive wrote: »
    Clearly you eat 4k calories every day of McDonalds, Waffles bathing in syrup, 6 pack of coke, Ding Dongs, Chips etc...

I wish...
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I came to the realization that I will NEVER be able to eat like I used to and I am ok with that. My cardiologist told me that I had to find a way to eat and exercise that I can sustain for the rest of my life. I had to make the choice to change the way I live or resign myself to die much sooner than I wanted to. I am pretty much on a maintenance schedule now.

I see the terminology "non-logging days". For me, there are no non-logging days, even on maintenance. I have missed only one day of logging in over two years and I know that is the only thing that allows me to be successful in this journey. I have lost 140 pounds and I intend on keeping it off.

I am 57 years old now and weigh 197 pounds. I started at 337. My goal weight was originally 180, but I can't get there because of all the loose skin. I didn't have any bariatric surgery, but because of my age and the amount of weight I lost, the skin won't shrink.

You look fabulous, well done!

I hear you, I could not go back to my old way of eating either, even though I overdo it on the food sometimes. For me, making better choices and having smaller portions work.
  • credle071207
    credle071207 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    I came to the realization that I will NEVER be able to eat like I used to and I am ok with that. My cardiologist told me that I had to find a way to eat and exercise that I can sustain for the rest of my life. I had to make the choice to change the way I live or resign myself to die much sooner than I wanted to. I am pretty much on a maintenance schedule now.

I see the terminology "non-logging days". For me, there are no non-logging days, even on maintenance. I have missed only one day of logging in over two years and I know that is the only thing that allows me to be successful in this journey. I have lost 140 pounds and I intend on keeping it off.

I am 57 years old now and weigh 197 pounds. I started at 337. My goal weight was originally 180, but I can't get there because of all the loose skin. I didn't have any bariatric surgery, but because of my age and the amount of weight I lost, the skin won't shrink.

You look fabulous, well done!

I hear you, I could not go back to my old way of eating either, even though I overdo it on the food sometimes. For me, making better choices and having smaller portions work.

Thank you! my weight loss calorie intake was 1600 per day. I actually still try to stay as close to that as possible, but will occasionally slip up and take in 2000 or maybe even 2200, but see no adverse affects. It's all about consistency.
  • joowelz
    joowelz Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    jdb3388 wrote: »
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    Here ...not even hit 1900 calories ...under maintenance ...will drink and eat that this weekend instead ..I know the sodium is out but I'm not that bothered

And I logged my dinner in the wrong place (peanut butter and jelly sandwich)

l291cxqbat7e.png

I'm not saying that I can't eat 1900 calories every day, I'm just saying that, and no offense and its nothing personal, nothing on that list looks very good to me at all. I mean I am willing to eat all of those things, I'm not a picky eater, but its not what I want. I find happiness in food that taste good, things that are fried, things that have a lot of cheese and/or creamy sauces, I like soda. That's where its so hard. I'm not saying I can't do it, I'm upset because I know I'm not going to be happy doing it.

Just saw this. Ok, so I think we ALL naturally like fatening foods. That's why the food industry makes billions of dollars and McDonalds is so rich!!! But just because you like something, it doesnt mean you cant live without it or learn to like something else as a replacement.

I stopped consuming colas 20 years ago. To me, it's a waste of calories that I would much rather spend on a piece of toast or cheese to satisfy my hunger.

You need to have faith and believe what we are telling you about getting used to this new way of looking at food. As mentioned above, with time you can retrain your tastebuds and grow to dislike heavy, buttery, creamy dishes as they will feel too heavy to you. Your body wont want to consume them becausr they will make you feel sluggish rather than sprite.

Exercise helps regulate appetite. You need to start some kind of consistent activity.

Remember: If you continue eating the way you have been, at some point in the future chances are you will have a serious medical reason (diabetes, high blood pressure, cholesterol) to start eating like a rabbit. Isn't it better to do the right thing now, lose the weight, get fit, feel better and enjoy the remainder of your years vibrant, energetic and looking good than to spend another 30 years as a food glutton only to develop disease and be forced to deprive yourself later? It happened to every one of my relatives due to lack of education.

• AJF230
    AJF230 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I totally understand this. Got a BMR test and Dexa scan. My BMR was 1699. I'm 6'3 and 195lb. (down from 207 or so) And got informed I'm 23% body fat. My measured rate was below what would be predicted.
    That makes my base TDEE 1.2x BMR = 2038.
    So I've taken an active effort to add lean body mass via lots of protein and strength training.

That 200-300 calories of walking you can do every day...it adds up! do it!
  • BridgetHarrington
    BridgetHarrington Posts: 41 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Right now, I'm 5'7" and weigh 175. I'm trying to get to 145-150. Thank God I have a larger frame and don't look as overweight as I apparently am (the profile pic is last summer - 10lbs lighter than I am right now). MFP gives me a calorie budget of 1200 calories per day to lose 2 pounds a week. I work a desk job and don't have a ton of free time, so I'm not going to the gym constantly.

If there is something I want to eat, I pre-log it to see if it's "worth it." My downfall has always been chips and crunchy/salty things. I was always able to keep weight off controlling my snacking.....but the last two years, I let that go. And now I have 25-30 pounds to lose. I've been menopausal for the last two years, also, which I am sure does not help matters.

I keep cut cauliflower and cucumber with chili powder on them in the fridge for snacking. I happen to love extreme hot sauces and put them on pretty much everything. They have no calories or at the most, 4 or 5 per tablespoon, so I can make the blandest stuff taste great. Some nights, I steam a few cups of cabbage for dinner.....hot sauce makes it bearable. I use a quart mason jar as my drinking glass (it has measurements on the side) and try to drink at least 4 of those full a day.

For me, it's just a matter of banking my calories and, if I want to splurge -- get a pizza, eat chips and dip -- I have to make adjustments over the rest of the day or even over a period of days. I eat things that are dense but not that caloric (I swear, I am keeping the cabbage and cauliflower growers in business these days) and drink a ton of water in between. I've only been at this a month and a half and already lost 12 pounds. It's small adjustments...nothing crazy. I don't feel deprived or like I'm starving.
  • zamphir66
    zamphir66 Posts: 582 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I can eat a half gallon of Edy's slow churned in one sitting for ~2400 calories. Then just eat light to normal for everything else and hit 4K no problem.

This is actually my plan for if/when I decide to bulk up.