Compulsive Eater needing help...

Options
2»

Replies

• hgrace78
    hgrace78 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Anyone struggling with this may want to try intermittent fasting. I'm not saying this will absolutely work but it's worth trying something new. It has DRASTICALLY helped me with my compulsion to eat at night time.
    Could you expand on this? How does this work? How did it help you be successful?
  • Arizona_C
    Arizona_C Posts: 1,476 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I aet end of evening, too.what works for me in sa relaxing medutation i liste to in my ipod or telepnhoe; Lots of possibilities to find at youtube. select one thatpleases you and start it the moment you have finished diner. For exemple

https://youtu.be/OL_6avXpwzA?t=18

• BrokeBirkin
    BrokeBirkin Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I was exactly like this for the same reasons you listed. I had to force myself to stop once my calories were gone and I had my bf help me. At first it was so bad I would just decide to go to bed because it was the only thing that would stop me from thinking about food. Like any addiction you kind of have to put yourself into detox and go through withdrawals. You could also leave some calories left at the end of your day and binge on really low calorie foods or make a smoothie (I am slow at drinking smoothies so I can't usually even finish them before bed. You just have to train your body as part of your journey.
  • campfirequeen1
    campfirequeen1 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    @Arizona_C I listened to that meditation and it was a WONDERFUL. Thank you for posting it! I will use this now when I need it. Thanks, Holly
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    A few strategies have helped me. The compulsion is satisfying a need. Identify that first. Make sure that need is taken care of. Then you can focus on satisfying that need in non food ways.

There is also the habitual component so you will need to be alert on days you are tired or distracted that you don't slip back in to old habits.

Evening compulsion brings to mind a couple of factors. You might be bored. Willpower from a day of restraint might be depleted.

A psychologist pointed out to my group therapy class that it is just as exhausting to hang on to an anxiety as it is to confront the fear. So avoidance just compounds the problem. Confront the fear, find release.

Food replacements might be exercise, handcrafts like knitting, a hot bubble bath, a new club or workshop, or a good book.

New rules like eat only in the kitchen or only one cup of the designated snack followed by a full glass of water might help.

Try something and if it works, keep doing it. If not, try something else.
  • hgrace78
    hgrace78 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    @Arizona_C, I listened to the meditation and it is amazing! Thank you! @b1gwillystyle, I read up on intermittent fasting and I'm starting today.my first calories were taken in at 1 pm and my last was at 8 pm. So, hopefully this, coupled with meditation exercises and some kind of hand craft to keep my mind occupied, will work. Fingers crossed. Thank you all for you generous and inspiring advice!
  • b1gwillystyle
    b1gwillystyle Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm curious to know how it works for you. Keep me posted. IF has been amazing for me.
  • UnicornAmandaPanda
    Options
    Struggle with the same thing here
  • smile_laughter
    smile_laughter Posts: 3,680 Member
    Options
    @hgrace78 - just sent you a message about this post. I hope you are doing well. Binge eating is so hard, especially when you can't get full.....I understand completely.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    I get like that too. I will do it for a while, then kick myself and stop, be "good" for a while, then fall back into it. I've just kicked myself again today to stop doing that for this week!

I don't have any specific strategy to deal with it - I just have to exercise self control and after about the 3rd day it becomes easier. BUt it's bloody hard!!! And I start looking around for stuff to eat so I have to distract myself by going and doing something even if it's playing Candy Crush! Or I'll go take a looooong shower.

Tonight I am going to fold and put away all the laundry I left lying around on purpose!!!
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    during the weekend I couldn't stop eating. I am PMSing but I have never been this bad. I just ate and ate. I wasn't hungry. Too ashamed to log all the c r a p I ate. The weather was awful so couldn't go outside. I'm thinking maybe boredom and cabin fever. But I was so annoyed and disgusted with myself for it.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    IzzyBooNZ1 wrote: »
    during the weekend I couldn't stop eating. I am PMSing but I have never been this bad. I just ate and ate. I wasn't hungry. Too ashamed to log all the c r a p I ate. The weather was awful so couldn't go outside. I'm thinking maybe boredom and cabin fever. But I was so annoyed and disgusted with myself for it.

I did the same thing. I also cooked. Was supposed to be meal prep for the week. Ate nearly all of it.