Eeeeeeek......

2»

Replies

• diet45
    diet45 Posts: 392 Member
    Well, I think you should get a different gym partner. I actually didn't want to go to the gym. I told my husband that fat people don't go to our gym only skinny people. I tried to rally some friends to go with me, but they wanted to go at the crack of dawn or in the evening. i called to make an appointment with a training, but they only had men trainers (lucky for all the skinny girls) I got up the courage to go with my husband. He told me he would show me around and show me some of the weights. I did notice I was not the only overweight person there. So, I got the courage to go all by myself. I loaded the best Christian tuns I could on my son's Ipod and actually went by myself. I cranked up the music and did my workout. I even last 30 minutes on some Eliptical training machine. So cool, I had fun and went by myself. I even had a few stares at some men.... I have no idea of why they would look at a overweight 42 year old woman...no clue. Stay couraged. I lost six pounds in two weeks. I will be happy with one to two pounds a week. I have 39 pounds to go. Take one day at a time....
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    My sister has a theory about this: she says that the reason people think that we don't look like the weight we are is because of so many women lying all the time about their weight. If a woman weighs 160, and she lies and tells people she weighs 125, then we get a distorted perception of what 125 really looks like. When I tell anyone what I weigh, they always have the same shock reaction- and I think it is because of this distorted perception of what a certain weight looks like. Did you guys see the Tyra where she put everyone's weight on their swimsuits? I was pretty shocked to see that Tyra was 170. It made me feel really good though, because since I am tall, I will never weigh anywhere close to 100, and I have been coming to the realization that I wouldn't want to.

BTW, this still doesn't excuse the "friend" behaving so insensitively. What a beach!
  • allaboutme
    allaboutme Posts: 391 Member
    I liked the "should have slapped her silly idea". Some people have no consideration for other people and their feelings. A real friend would never insist you get on the scale I think she did this to make herself feel better cause she knew you were going to weigh in higher than her, skinny but low self esteem for sure. That was rude and beachy :wink: If a friend wanted you to weigh yourself, it would be to encourage you, not to gasp at your weight.

She needs to be dropped as a gym partner and wouldn't survive in my friend category either.
  • Hannah_Banana
    Hannah_Banana Posts: 1,242 Member
    My sister has a theory about this: she says that the reason people think that we don't look like the weight we are is because of so many women lying all the time about their weight. If a woman weighs 160, and she lies and tells people she weighs 125, then we get a distorted perception of what 125 really looks like. When I tell anyone what I weigh, they always have the same shock reaction- and I think it is because of this distorted perception of what a certain weight looks like. Did you guys see the Tyra where she put everyone's weight on their swimsuits? I was pretty shocked to see that Tyra was 170. It made me feel really good though, because since I am tall, I will never weigh anywhere close to 100, and I have been coming to the realization that I wouldn't want to.

BTW, this still doesn't excuse the "friend" behaving so insensitively. What a beach!

Excellent theory. That is probably EXACTLY why we think that way. Rather than lie, I simply don't tell people my weight. I can't remember a time when it came up in conversation either. :huh: I'm not sure who goes around talking about how much people weigh. Not exactly polite. :tongue:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!