Funnily enough, that's largely a myth.
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    elsinora wrote: »
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    I think that the person that wrote was bored or something. :(

The article was written by two doctors

...That were bored or something."your body wants to stay the same size"? How about small changes take too long to add up to the total of 3500 which is necessary to lose one pound, let alone a hundred pounds?

If they really are doctors they should tell the truth not Moe up fairytales for us poor ignorant commoners.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,649 Member
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    I've never read on here that losing weight quick means you'll put it back on faster, just that losing weight quickly means you will lose more muscle than necessary, carries specific risks of gallstones and kidney issues if over 3.3 lbs per week, and that you have less time to learn better lifestyle habits or find your way to maintenance

You know, was going to make a long post, as I often do; but, some Sued0nimous person as usual pretty much said it all.

I especially want to highlight "and that you have less time to learn better lifestyle habits or find your way to maintenance", because, you know, most people on MFP are not part of a study that provides them with a "6-month lifestyle intervention followed by a 1-year extended care program"

Also it doesn't look to me like a blind randomised study where they assigned people to groups and gave them food to get results. I think they selected out of the results of the initial 1200 Cal a day intervention the ones who lost faster, medium, and slow.

So the taller, more obese participants who would lose faster at 1200 Cal and 10000 steps lost more and kept more of their loss as an absolute value (but also had an absolute value higher regain) at 18 months.

OK...
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,361 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    What's that BS about how 'physiologically, your body tries to stay the same weight'?

There is a lot of research about body set points, and of course as with any research, there are degrees of varying conclusions (of which those who believe in set points and those who don't will use the conclusions that suit their own point of view), but the research is interesting nonetheless.
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    What's that BS about how 'physiologically, your body tries to stay the same weight'?

There is a lot of research about body set points, and of course as with any research, there are degrees of varying conclusions (of which those who believe in set points and those who don't will use the conclusions that suit their own point of view), but the research is interesting nonetheless.

People whose set point works correctly usually don't have weight problems. MFP (obviously) attracts those who need a calorie counting site because some individusls don't have a working set point in a normal BMI range. I have a set point, but it needs recalibration.
    :D
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I swear my set point is 148lbs, i can stay at this weight effortlessly.

I got down to my goal weight last year of 143lbs, and it was a constant struggle to stay there. It required pin point food logging/calorie counting, just all round hard work!
    I lost my weight very slowly, and have never been obese.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    They state that sex takes on average 6 minutes? I'm sorry, but anyone who delivers that sorry a performance is not going to stay on my radar for long! That's ridiculously bad!
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    About 2 and 3:

That's because what they're linking to is based on percentage of weight lost. "Success" was determined by "lost 10% of their bodyweight". So someone who lost 9% and gained nothing back would be a "failure" while someone who lost 20% and regained 10% within the study time would be a success...

It's a bit of a reductive suggestion of the science, in the sense that these were in controlled group's of obese patients, not just a range of people that only need to lose just a few pounds and some people 100 pounds. It also doesn't say that losing 20% and regaining would be a success - the study cites long term weight loss management — i.e. stablising, not putting back on.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3780395/

If you're going by that, the slow group was best.

"No significant group differences were found in weight regain between 6 and 18 months (2.6, 1.8, and 1.3 kg, respectively, ps < 0.9). "

And staying at more than 10% loss sustained was the factor for "success".

"The FAST and MODERATE groups were 5.1 and 2.7 times more likely to achieve 10% weight losses at 18 months than the SLOW group."

No *kitten*. If I go at 300 km/h on the autobahn instead of 100, I'm more likely to be at an arbitrary place after an arbitrary time. Says nothing about whether it's the better way to get to the place.

Not to mention that the "fast" group was basically losing 1.2 or so pounds a week on average, not what most would classify as fast for someone who is obese. That's not the kind of "fast" most people here advocate against.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    DebSozo wrote: »

People whose set point works correctly usually don't have weight problems. MFP (obviously) attracts those who need a calorie counting site because some individusls don't have a working set point in a normal BMI range. I have a set point, but it needs recalibration.
    :D

Set points are an excuse to fail or quit when weight loss isn't linear, or you aren't tracking properly

I have yet to see any scientific evidence that they actually exist, it's just media spin / health & fitness woo

If anyone has any evidence at all, you know robust factual evidence rather than tabloid and blogs, please do share it

I fail to see how believing in something that isn't there to explain physical reactions is helpful to an adult
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    About 2 and 3:

That's because what they're linking to is based on percentage of weight lost. "Success" was determined by "lost 10% of their bodyweight". So someone who lost 9% and gained nothing back would be a "failure" while someone who lost 20% and regained 10% within the study time would be a success...

It's a bit of a reductive suggestion of the science, in the sense that these were in controlled group's of obese patients, not just a range of people that only need to lose just a few pounds and some people 100 pounds. It also doesn't say that losing 20% and regaining would be a success - the study cites long term weight loss management — i.e. stablising, not putting back on.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3780395/

If you're going by that, the slow group was best.

"No significant group differences were found in weight regain between 6 and 18 months (2.6, 1.8, and 1.3 kg, respectively, ps < 0.9). "

And staying at more than 10% loss sustained was the factor for "success".

"The FAST and MODERATE groups were 5.1 and 2.7 times more likely to achieve 10% weight losses at 18 months than the SLOW group."

No *kitten*. If I go at 300 km/h on the autobahn instead of 100, I'm more likely to be at an arbitrary place after an arbitrary time. Says nothing about whether it's the better way to get to the place.

Not to mention that the "fast" group was basically losing 1.2 or so pounds a week on average, not what most would classify as fast for someone who is obese. That's not the kind of "fast" most people here advocate against.

Oh, I didn't even notice that one. Good catch.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »
    They state that sex takes on average 6 minutes? I'm sorry, but anyone who delivers that sorry a performance is not going to stay on my radar for long! That's ridiculously bad!

Apparently it's the average. http://www.esquire.com/lifestyle/sex/a5943/average-sex-time-0709/
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »

I guess it depends how good he is. If he isn't, six minutes can seem like six hours!

On the other hand... ;)