Restrictive diet venting

Options
zyxst
zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
I picked up a loaf of white bread from the Icelandic bakery up the street. I'm jealous of my husband because he doesn't give a shizzle about calories and sodium and just eats a couple sammiches made of this delicious fluffiness. Here I am being conscientious of my HBP by eating lower sodium. I know millions have it worse than HBP, but dammit I'm sitting here alone with crusty, fluffy, freshly-baked white bread.

Replies

• Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options
    I get it! I am on a restricted diet for health issues. While I am benefitting health wise and starting to enjoy cooking, there are times when I would just like to eat cheese or the sandwich wrap without any problems.
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    Well, but... do you like white bread so much that you really-really want to eat it every day? Like, I could eat a Sausage Egg & Cheese McGriddle every morning and love every bite every day. But despite not having had one since like May, I haven't really been frustrated. I've focused on eating other things that I also like, and marking that as a treat for when I hit a milestone. (I have it prelogged for tomorrow! I'm so excited!)
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    I don't have any dietary restrictions but I feel for you.

I have not bought a loaf of tasty bread for many months. It is not that I couldn't have a decent size piece for the calories because I could. It would mean for a very sucky day of low calorie other stuff in order to stay close to my macros and be satisfied with the volume of food. And then I would have to do it all over again for a few days because I would not want to throw away the tasty bread before it goes bad.

Next time I have a big IDGAF day I might have to get some bread from the bakery...
  • xvolution
    xvolution Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    Technically you can have white bread and still be low sodium. Try looking at the food labels at various brands of bread for their sodium content. I'm sure there's a few with relatively low sodium [pretty sure Arnold's makes a bread that only has 100mg sodium per slice].
  • Sara1791
    Sara1791 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    I hear ya. I'd like to eat unlimited quantities of really good bread and baked ziti. I can have really good bread. And I can have baked ziti, but not in the quantities I want.

Reminds me of another thread in which a poster wanted to talk about how having to restrict sucks and everyone (including me) tried to solve the problem - which can only be mitigated and not solved.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    A couple of slices on the weekend won't kill you... just don't have bacon between said slices... :laugh:
  • xvolution
    xvolution Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    xvolution wrote: »
    Technically you can have white bread and still be low sodium. Try looking at the food labels at various brands of bread for their sodium content. I'm sure there's a few with relatively low sodium [pretty sure Arnold's makes a bread that only has 100mg sodium per slice].

You don't have a food you enjoy eating but can't because of a health issue? How fortunate for you.

I have tons of food I enjoy that I can't have anymore [I'm on a renal diet, so low sodium/low potassium/low phosphorous diet], I just plan things out so if I want something, I can have a little bit of it to satiate that craving. I do miss baked potatoes though.

My comment was only towards white bread, not other potential food restrictions.
  • TangledThread
    TangledThread Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I hear you. I can't have bread at all. Most of the time it's fine but there are days I miss hot fresh from the oven bread so much. There are other things I can eat but it's not the same.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    Sara1791 wrote: »
    I hear ya. I'd like to eat unlimited quantities of really good bread and baked ziti. I can have really good bread. And I can have baked ziti, but not in the quantities I want.

Reminds me of another thread in which a poster wanted to talk about how having to restrict sucks and everyone (including me) tried to solve the problem - which can only be mitigated and not solved.

This is true for me. I find eliminating foods I love but I can't eat period is far easier than moderating foods I love and can eat. I try not to have trigger foods in the house while not restricting them entirely, which means I won't have ice cream in my freezer at home but will have an affogato for dessert when eating out for instance. For me it would be far far harder to manage my diet as a diabetic than it is as a celiac.
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    my husband is a pro athlete and eats like a 9 year old. i cook at home but on top of that he eats allll day long. Donuts, chips, soda, beer and fast food all day long. he is in such good shape. i want to eat like he does. it sucks its unfair i understand.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    I picked up a loaf of white bread from the Icelandic bakery up the street. I'm jealous of my husband because he doesn't give a shizzle about calories and sodium and just eats a couple sammiches made of this delicious fluffiness. Here I am being conscientious of my HBP by eating lower sodium. I know millions have it worse than HBP, but dammit I'm sitting here alone with crusty, fluffy, freshly-baked white bread.

Completely vent-worthy!
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    For me it's my lack of gallbladder. I'm lucky because I don't have as many issues post-surgery as some people do. But there are certain things that I just can't eat in the quantities I want and be okay. I had 3 pieces of bacon today and I'll be fine. But half a pack one day a couple of weeks ago and I paid for it. I haven't had a good Alfredo sauce in ages because I just can't be trusted to moderate myself and not make me sick.
  • aliem
    aliem Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I know it is sooooo hard! I try to focus on the foods that I can eat (and enjoy). It seems to make it a bit better, though sometimes the craving demons still hit.
  • JenHuedy
    JenHuedy Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Totally get it. It's great to have those favorite treats, but can be so frustrating to deal with all the sacrifices you have to make to fit them in that it almost isn't worth it. I can't remember the last time I was able to have potatoes AND bread with supper. Only have room for one or the other.