Restrictive diet venting

Options

Replies

• mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    Celiac disease. I can rarely even eat out without being sick for weeks. GF bread? Yuck.

And now I am LCHF so I skip all sugary foods and grains. That's over 80% of the grocery store items. But I feel so much better that the inconvenience and loss of certain foods is definitely worth it.

Oh yeah! :'(
  • Catawampous
    Catawampous Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    For me it's my lack of gallbladder. I'm lucky because I don't have as many issues post-surgery as some people do. But there are certain things that I just can't eat in the quantities I want and be okay. I had 3 pieces of bacon today and I'll be fine. But half a pack one day a couple of weeks ago and I paid for it. I haven't had a good Alfredo sauce in ages because I just can't be trusted to moderate myself and not make me sick.

Man do I hear you on this. After my gallbladder removal ... "Eat anything you want." they said. "It's no different than before." they said. Complete load of crock in my case. I had to learn how to eat by trial and error.

OP - rant on! I hear ya.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I feel for you hon. I think it's nice of you to buy that bread for your husband, knowing that it's a struggle for you to have it in the house. My husband is skinny and can eat sweets and all sorts of things that I have to watch out for. It takes a strong person to resist, and yes, it's as frustrating as hell.
  • cappri
    cappri Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    I miss cheese! Between the sodium and the calories I just can't make it work into my eating very often.
  • mph323
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    It's not that I don't ever eat white bread, it's that I can't eat white bread every day and keep low sodium.

I feel this thread will keep going in the "you can still eat what you want" direction which is not what I intended (just a vent, not asking for advice). I can't be the only person who is slightly frustrated at not being able to eat certain types of foods due to a dietary restriction (barring allergies and OMGDEATH food).

Why are we barring allergies from this vent? Allergies ARE a health issue. And they drive me absolutely crazy.

I am allergic to dairy, treenuts, and soy. What is one of my favourite foods ever? Chocolate almonds. Can I eat them without getting an asthma attack? Nope. Cheesecake? Won't be able to talk the next day. Anything nommy and vegatarian with tofu? Nausea, dizziness, and more asthma. I used to be vegetarian, and I love vegetarian food. But can I eat 90% of it without feeling ill?

You try going to a cafe for lunch and watching your friends scarf down a chocolate mudcake that you couldn't eat even on a cheat day, even though it looks like the most amazing thing in the world, while you sip your long black coffee (because the cafe offers normal, trim, almond, and soy milk, but nothing you can eat).

I think the OP's point was that she can have the bread, but not all the bread she would like to eat when she wants to eat it. Those of us with allergies and intolerances can't have the bread (so to speak) at all, so it's a different struggle. Going over sodium here and there doesn't usually have immediate repercussions, more long-term, and to my mind that makes it a little harder to manage the cravings since there may not be immediate consequences.
  • concrete_daisies
    concrete_daisies Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »
    I think the OP's point was that she can have the bread, but not all the bread she would like to eat when she wants to eat it. Those of us with allergies and intolerances can't have the bread (so to speak) at all, so it's a different struggle. Going over sodium here and there doesn't usually have immediate repercussions, more long-term, and to my mind that makes it a little harder to manage the cravings since there may not be immediate consequences.

Regardless of whether allergies makes it easier or harder to regulate your dietary restrictions (which I don't actually think it does, not when some of the allergens are so ubiquitous), that doesn't invalidate my rant? Or may it any less relevant to the topic in fact: OP was frustrated about only being able to eat small amounts of low-sodium bread when what she really wants is fluffy bakery bread. I can eat some dark chocolate, but what I really want is all of the milky chocolate truffles. Which I do eat, on occasion, and regret it. Cashews scare the *** out of me, but chocolate... just makes me miserable. I love chocolate so much, it is still a question of willpower.
  • mph323
    Options
    I'm not attacking your POV, and believe me I understand your struggles and sympathize. I'm just pointing out that the OP set the context and it should be respected.
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options

Regardless of whether allergies makes it easier or harder to regulate your dietary restrictions (which I don't actually think it does, not when some of the allergens are so ubiquitous), that doesn't invalidate my rant? Or may it any less relevant to the topic in fact: OP was frustrated about only being able to eat small amounts of low-sodium bread when what she really wants is fluffy bakery bread. I can eat some dark chocolate, but what I really want is all of the milky chocolate truffles. Which I do eat, on occasion, and regret it. Cashews scare the *** out of me, but chocolate... just makes me miserable. I love chocolate so much, it is still a question of willpower.

Yes you are special.
  • concrete_daisies
    Options
    I'm not attacking your POV, and believe me I understand your struggles and sympathize. I'm just pointing out that the OP set the context and it should be respected.

And I was questioning her assumption. Because it seemed odd to me, she didn't specifically justify it, and I felt like I could relate to her despite apparently not fitting the criteria. Which wasn't attacking her or trying to derail the thread, maybe she just hadn't thought about allergies as a health issue similiar to the other issues people are talking about on this thread.
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options

And I was questioning her assumption. Because it seemed odd to me, she didn't specifically justify it, and I felt like I could relate to her despite apparently not fitting the criteria. Which wasn't attacking her or trying to derail the thread, maybe she just hadn't thought about allergies as a health issue similiar to the other issues people are talking about on this thread.
    ... you are making too much out of this. is there a reason you are making this about you? its not about you.. your are not the OP. Get off her back a little bit she came to a place to vent about her situation. its not any less valid then yours. geeze man.
  • concrete_daisies
    Options
    LazSommer wrote: »
    Yes you are special.

???? This is a venting thread, other people are venting/ sharing their health food struggles too. I didn't claim to be special in that way. In fact, I was actually just trying to fit in. ???
  • mph323
    edited September 2016
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    zyxst wrote: »
    It's not that I don't ever eat white bread, it's that I can't eat white bread every day and keep low sodium.

I feel this thread will keep going in the "you can still eat what you want" direction which is not what I intended (just a vent, not asking for advice). I can't be the only person who is slightly frustrated at not being able to eat certain types of foods due to a dietary restriction (barring allergies and OMGDEATH food).

Why are we barring allergies from this vent? Allergies ARE a health issue. And they drive me absolutely crazy.

I am allergic to dairy, treenuts, and soy. What is one of my favourite foods ever? Chocolate almonds. Can I eat them without getting an asthma attack? Nope. Cheesecake? Won't be able to talk the next day. Anything nommy and vegatarian with tofu? Nausea, dizziness, and more asthma. I used to be vegetarian, and I love vegetarian food. But can I eat 90% of it without feeling ill?

You try going to a cafe for lunch and watching your friends scarf down a chocolate mudcake that you couldn't eat even on a cheat day, even though it looks like the most amazing thing in the world, while you sip your long black coffee (because the cafe offers normal, trim, almond, and soy milk, but nothing you can eat).

I actually find it tougher to have a little bit of a favorite food than none at all. A little bit is just a tease. Not good.

Yes, exactly! I can have chocolate cake* in the house and never give it more than a longing glance, but a pint of Ben and Jerry's is torture! :'(

*celiac with a chocolate passion
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    LazSommer wrote: »
    Yes you are special.

???? This is a venting thread, other people are venting/ sharing their health food struggles too. I didn't claim to be special in that way. In fact, I was actually just trying to fit in. ???

its actually a thread about OP.. and yes others are posting their threads in a respectful way.. you on the other hand are not. your upset at the op with her personally struggle.
  • dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    We have it in our household too. I am gluten and lactose intolerant. Makes things challenging but I find it easy to just say no because the effects are immediate and very uncomfortable. I am also eating to lower my cholesterol which just adds to the limitations and frustrations. It sucks and I have been more frustrated over the new restrictions than the intolerance.

My husband is a fairly newly diagnosed T2 diabetic. Much harder to just say no because the effect (except on his meter) is off in the future. He is doing very, very well in controlling his blood sugar and changing his habits. I think it is harder than my issues. When friends offer something that he shouldn't eat but he can, tough to say no. When I am offered something that hits the intolerances, I cannot eat it. Easy.
  • mph323
    Options
    fishshark wrote: »

this post is about OP and HER situation. if you want to talk about your sitatuon then make your own post.

*nodding head* Much more direct.
  • concrete_daisies
    Options
    @fishshark I respectfully disagree, but I'm not actually interested in getting into an argument, so I'm just going to leave this topic