What are some things you had to unlearn from your parents?

cee134
cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
What are some things you had to unlearn from your parents? For example, maybe you had to unlearn something like hiding so that when you check into a hotel you only pay for 2 people instead of 2 people + kids.

Replies

• melmelw03
    melmelw03 Posts: 5,338 Member
    The whole make a happy plate thing. That jacked up my view on eating.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    138shades wrote: »
    where do you go that you have to pay for kids at a hotel?

I don't, it's just an example I heard.
  • Caporegiem
    Caporegiem Posts: 4,297 Member
    melmelw03 wrote: »

What's wrong with a happy plate?
    a241f15c8e7eb8cb3510d753ef9a089c.jpg
  • melmelw03
    melmelw03 Posts: 5,338 Member
    Caporegiem wrote: »
    melmelw03 wrote: »

What's wrong with a happy plate?
    a241f15c8e7eb8cb3510d753ef9a089c.jpg

You make me smile! :smiley::smiley::smiley:
  • Owlie45
    Owlie45 Posts: 810 Member
    How to be polite.
    One example.
    What? = I didn't near you
    Excuse me? = I heard you but I'm going to give you a chance to correct what you said to me.

So I tend to come off rude by never saying excuse me. And when its said to me then it takes me a moment to remember that they're not upset with what I said.
  • 25lbsorbust
    25lbsorbust Posts: 225 Member
    Using the microwave as a bread cupboard? Apparently normal people don't do that.

Also bickering. My mom and I happy bicker, we call ourselves the old Italian couple. If we're not bickering, we're not talking. It took dating my current s/o and constantly trying to 'get his goat' that I learned that normal people don't considering fighting a form of constructive communication.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,488 Member
    Just one for me................religion.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Just_J_Now
    Just_J_Now Posts: 9,551 Member
    Eating everything on your plate, even when you're full. I've always told my kids if you're full, don't eat. You'll eventually be hungry, you can eat then.
  • zcb94
    zcb94 Posts: 3,679 Member
    I sadly had to (am still trying to) unlearn that corporal punishment is the only way to solve a disagreement.
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Rottified wrote: »
    How to be polite.
    One example.
    Excuse me? = I heard you but I'm going to give you a chance to correct what you said to me.

So I tend to come off rude by never saying excuse me. And when its said to me then it takes me a moment to remember that they're not upset with what I said.

I could see that being hard to unlearn. Tone of voice can make a really big difference in the intended meaning of "excuse me?".

For me - you don't always have to buy the best or most expensive version of everything. My mom always wants the best and has no problem paying for it. This can be good for some things, like better made and subsequently more expensive clothing lasting longer, but it's not necessary to buy cleaning supplies at the expensive grocery store. This has led to my parents perpetually being on the verge of serious financial struggles. I had already worked to be better at saving money and not living on brink but still struggled. My husband has been invaluable at helping me learn this lesson (for example not snub clothes shopping at Target and TJ Maxx, buy store brand products for many things rather than brand name) and get much better at saving money than I was.
  • Domino_75
    Domino_75 Posts: 373 Member
    I was very sheltered. I had been married for a couple years before I realized I could go somewhere other than church on a week night.
  • zcb94
    zcb94 Posts: 3,679 Member
    newmeadow wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Just one for me................religion.

Was it the First Confession that did it? The CCD classes?

Or being dragged to weekly Mass when the good cartoons were on?

I was constantly told I'd burn in Hell. But I made sure it backfired on the messengers. I figured that, if my mortal sins were unconfessable and unforgiveable, I'm already damned and should do whatever I please - aggressively and unrepentantly. I wised up much later on.
    My late grandma did that to me in very early childhood, sadly.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Saving money. My parents were both dirt poor and saved (not exaggerating) ~70% of their income. They were so scared of the next great depression that they never unlearned how to be poor and spend a little for enjoyment.

I don't think of as unlearn than refine. I'm teaching my kids to be responsible with money and same with everything else - exposing them slowly so that their responsibility is age appropriate and allowing them to fail and learn on their own.
  • zimazoom
    zimazoom Posts: 34 Member
    To use food as a reward.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    zcb94 wrote: »
    I sadly had to (am still trying to) unlearn that corporal punishment is the only way to solve a disagreement.

This! I have my kids do push-ups. Once they are done doing a set they are a little tired and usually forget what they were upset about to begin with. They now see this as a challenge and raise the bar on their own. "How many did I do last time Dad?" ...and try to beat it.
  • NEOHgirl
    NEOHgirl Posts: 237 Member
    edited September 2016
    From my mom, I had to unlearn that if someone suggests you make a change, going to the extreme opposite end of the spectrum doesn’t help either. Example: If someone says you could do a better job washing dishes, the response would be “well we’ll just switch to paper plates and I will never wash dishes again!”

From my dad: I had to unlearn that the best way to eat a donut was to get New England Old-Fashioned from Dunkin, split it in half, toast it, & butter it like a bagel. I won’t do that anymore, but OMG does it taste amazing.
  • Owlie45
    Owlie45 Posts: 810 Member
    puffbrat wrote: »
    Rottified wrote: »
    How to be polite.
    One example.

I could see that being hard to unlearn. Tone of voice can make a really big difference in the intended meaning of "excuse me?".

It does a little bit but they tend to be really polite sounding when they do. Only if it was really bad did they say it angerly.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    catholithism